Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bergeron too me is the top two-way center in the league but the Bruins managed to go 9-6-1 without him and a year ago they were like 11-5-1 without him.

The bruins are a a team that rely's heavily on a defense first system, a top PP and a dynamic first line and two top goalies. You take Bergy out put in Krejci and you still have a dynamic first line,by having two world class wingers on it, you still have one of the best PP, along with a defensive oriented system and two top goalies.Which is good enough in todays NHL to get by and you still don't have any secondary scoring.

If the Bruins actually had two scoring lines they'd be a top the NHL standings or near the top and a loss of Bergy then would be a lot more drastic because they would plummet in the standings, but as their currently built their going too finish anywhere from 6th to tenth in the east with or without Bergy.

No doubt their a better team with Bergy but with him in the line-up or not having him in the line-up, their still a one line team that rely's heavily on the top line, the PP, and a defensively oriented system with two top notch goalies.
I’m probably the lone wolf but I think healthy they have more points

Reactions: sleepyh

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
doubt it... he could just hold off and finish out his current deal , then become a RFA

I don't know if Marchand was really joking or not... I mean especially coming from a guy that has hurt the team via suspensions, licking etc.

But if I was McAvoy I would be pizzed. Something also happened with Hamilton, Riley Smith and the rumors of "not fitting in" "outcasted" .... and I wonder if the head bully is Marchand (jk)

ANYWAYS, I hope this is all a bunch of nothing....but if not, trading McAvoy would not be the end of the world. Losing Chara to injury proved it was not the end of the world. Losing Krug the same... Trading McAvoy for much needed top 6 depth, would help balance the lineup

This team has excellent depth at the backend ... so no need to worry

I’m sure Neely didn’t love answering questions about it

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’m probably the lone wolf but I think healthy they have more points

No, Your right , there's no doubt their better with him, way better. I mean he's Patrice Bergeron, but I guess my point is with him or without him, if there's no help coming the Bruins are more than likely a first round exit.

I take that back with him a first round win if its Toronto.:naughty:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I lost some iq points reading through this one

You can make mistakes if you still produce and grow, albeit slowly

Seguin f***ed up off the ice and didn’t do diddily squat when we needed him most on the ice. That’s why he’s not here anymore.

Much ado about nothing, but you knew that....I hope

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
have you ever seen the Jacobs do this?

If anything they will overpay for a proven commodity....and this was probably what was relayed to Pasta. You sign this 1st extension with us (just like how Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci etc).... And we will reward you on your 2nd, just like they were rewarded

I don't remember the last time Jacobs overpayed on any young talent in the past , especially one that has played as little games as Charlie has (injury prone)

I predict he'll play hardball especially due to the amount of games played or missed due to injury. If Jacobs is going to pay he wants to make sure he gets value especially after the Backes nightmare that probably keeps him up at night. They lost a whole season too due to that brief appearance against Ottawa where they could have seen a larger sample size. Pasta was a sure thing and even that took a while

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I’m sure Neely didn’t love answering questions about it

That rude azz Felger also directly asked Jacobs.... in the past you were on the frugal side (along these lines)....

It was awkward

Its no wonder Felger and Mazz get no interview time with players, coaches etc.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I lost some iq points reading through this one

I’m late for work all the time...know why I still work there? cus I’m a ****ing super star, And so is our good buddy Chuck. You can make mistakes if you still produce and grow, albeit slowly

Seguin ****ed up off the ice and didn’t do diddily squat when we needed him most on the ice. That’s why he’s not here anymore.

Much ado about nothing, but you knew that....I hope
Mostly correct... except, if you were here at the time when Seguin overslept in WPG.... guess what: Everyone was saying the same thing you are now. It "wasn't a problem".... until it was a problem.

This isn't the end of the world, but it's certainly not a good thing either.

Oh, and you owe it to your employer to be on time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That rude azz Felger also directly asked Jacobs.... in the past you were on the frugal side (along these lines)....

It was awkward

Its no wonder Felger and Mazz get no interview time with players, coaches etc.
Because they ask questions they should?

I mean, it's true that was something said about Jacobs. It's totally fair to ask him about it. And to be fair to Felger, he has repeatedly said that Jacobs has been spending to the cap ever since the cap was introduced.

Reactions: BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Mostly correct... except, if you were here at the time when Seguin overslept in WPG.... guess what: Everyone was saying the same thing you are now. It "wasn't a problem".... until it was a problem.

Seguin over slept and blamed it on that he for got to set his clock back, which would of given him an extra hour to get there.:laugh:

But yes I agree, McAvoy should be the youngster leading the way for the other kids. I'm sure there's a double standard there and that's never good.

Reactions: missingchicklet

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Because they ask questions they should?

I mean, it's true that was something said about Jacobs. It's totally fair to ask him about it. And to be fair to Felger, he has repeatedly said that Jacobs has been spending to the cap ever since the cap was introduced.

So since he has spending over the cap these recent years

Why ask about the past??

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Didn’t Felger get removed from the Bruins beat at the Globe because he called JJ cheap?
Yes at the Herald. He called him a cheapskate or something like that. That’s how he got on the Patriots beat. I think JJ had him banned from the building at one point.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
have you ever seen the Jacobs do this?

If anything they will overpay for a proven commodity....and this was probably what was relayed to Pasta. You sign this 1st extension with us (just like how Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci etc).... And we will reward you on your 2nd, just like they were rewarded

I don't remember the last time Jacobs overpayed on any young talent in the past , especially one that has played as little games as Charlie has (injury prone)

Of the top of my head? Seguin signed a 6 year/34.5 million deal with Boston prior to his final ELC season. Granted he never played for Boston under that deal, but it was his first post ELC deal.

Pastrnak same thing. Played ELC out, and signed his current deal. No bridge deal, but a 6 year extension with good money.

No reason they wouldn't do the same with McAvoy, they know what they have with him.

Reactions: Alicat

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I remember seeing a fair amount of people saying it was a problem, but I also think we have a tendency to overreact to these things due to bad memories ( seguin)

If McAvoy’s tale ends up similar to seguin, I’ll probably be more upset with management than anything else because there’s a pattern there at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and TCB

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I remember seeing a fair amount of people saying it was a problem, but I also think we have a tendency to overreact to these things due to bad memories ( seguin)

If McAvoy’s tale ends up similar to seguin, I’ll probably be more upset with management than anything else because there’s a pattern there at this point

I agree

its not like McAvoy is a troubled kid... just has ran into some bad luck with injuries and a few rookie mistakes (late to practice etc.)

This said, I sort of agree with Neely... and that the team won't pay without "seeing the river card"

Jacobs have never operated this way. That deal Seguin received was on the low end fair deal if you think about it

and even then it didn't matter and he got shipped out of town

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I agree

its not like McAvoy is a troubled kid... just has ran into some bad luck with injuries and a few rookie mistakes (late to practice etc.)

This said, I sort of agree with Neely... and that the team won't pay without "seeing the river card"

Jacobs have never operated this way. That deal Seguin received was on the low end fair deal if you think about it

and even then it didn't matter and he got shipped out of town

Yea and add context to the late to work thing, I have a chronic medical issue that allows me to be, but I wouldn’t last if I wasn’t also pulling my weight. Seems to me McAvoy has been dealing with a lot and his concussion could still be a problem, I give him a pass being late and adjusting to the pro life if he’s dealing with medical issues on top of it, most importantly if he’s able to bring it on the ice Then he ought to last here

I’d be more worried about his concussion and sweeney’s Handling of his next contract at this point

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
The kid has potential #1 defenseman ability within him.

They'd better f***ing not trade him. That's all I'm gonna say. THey have other good kids coming up through the pipeline, but Charlie's the most promising one so far, outside of Carlo, and he's better rounded than Carlo so far

Reactions: GoBs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad