Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I have no problems admitting that, when the discussions were about us potentially getting Schenn that I called Coyle a JAG; at time of trade, I was ho-hum but optimistic. Regardless of points, I’m a fan. He’s been, eye-test, a possession and puck protection king and a much better skater than I initially thought he’d be. He has talent. Glad Backes was on him about shooting more, it may yet pay off. Not sure this guy becomes. 50 point player here in this system, with these minutes, but he really has brought a lot of stability to a line that was basically TOI filler.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Yes. Backes is on our second power play unit. David Backes. In 2019.
Mojo should be on it, Backes should be on the 4th line. He is a black hole on the offence. Donato had 3 shots here to make it and 2 of them were not good at all, and he was less than average in the AHL. Could care less that he is gone, good luck kid but goodbye.

Coyle needs some talent, Nordy or Backes just make it a checking/cycling line. When Pasta comes back give him Heinen and try Wagner. Wags has decent hands, plays quick and will do the dirty work for them. Backes is a 4th liner, he hits, cycles and has Pailles hands.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's no coincidence that both BOS and CAR have turned it up since they got Nino and Coyle. Both players, but especially Coyle, are players who give you more than just points. For a team like BOS, who has forward talent, but needs size and athleticism when the stars aren't playing, he's a perfect fit, let alone that he is a hometown boy.

Donato hasn't looked all that good, to me, but he keeps getting points. Hard to argue with that. He's sort of the anti-Coyle. Donato needs a good off season to get stronger and faster.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I guess if you're gonna be wrong go hard

all that is nice...but also zero points

Coyle is on a 10 game no point streak

The point I'am really making is... what was the point of trading for Coyle when you aren't going to pair him up with soldiers to capitalize on chances

Backes especially as his only RW thus far, bugs me (also was the same story as he was Frederic RW). Backes is a 4th line player

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
all that is nice...but also zero points

Coyle is on a 10 game no point streak

The point I'am really making is... what was the point of trading for Coyle when you aren't going to pair him up with soldiers to capitalize on chances

Backes especially as his only RW thus far, bugs me (also same story as Frederic RW). Backes is a 4th line player

Because now you can roll that line and know that they will be effective in establishing possession where before it was basically unplayable

If his teammates hit open nets he has a couple points. I’m not concerned with his play. At all

Reactions: BMC

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I really like this trade and I think it will really pay off for us in the playoffs. Not going to bash Donato, he is playing well. I'm glad Sweeney made this move and I'm happy he traded from a position of strength (Left handed shot wingers) to acquire a player that plays a position(s) we have need at. Love his size and skating, he is going to produce. Eye test alone he has given us a third line, the points will come.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Don't think the 3rd line was unplayable. In fact with Henein JFK and Donato were the third line they looked pretty good for a young line. It's time to find the right combination to make this work with Coyle. We have 17 games remaining. Backes needs to be on the fourth line or the press box. Find out what will work. Is it Cehlarik, Kuhlman, Frederick , JFK , Senyshyn or other? But Backes, Nordy or other fourth liners on the third line are not going to make this team successful in the playoffs.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
All these possessions....and what has resulted thus far?

Backes is pointless (5 v 5) in like 15 games now

and you are going use possessions stats to justify playing him/keeping him on the third line?

cmon
There is more than the stat sheet and both players have been passing the eyeball test in my opinion

Reactions: CDJ

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Eyeball test is matching up with the possession numbers for sure. Coyle is a beast and Backes is making a ton of plays on the wall.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Because now you can roll that line and know that they will be effective in establishing possession where before it was basically unplayable

If his teammates hit open nets he has a couple points. I’m not concerned with his play. At all

This^ Before Coyle's arrival that line continually got hemmed into its own end, they could not break out worth a damn. Now they're actually generating scoring chances and eventually they'll get some points.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
This^ Before Coyle's arrival that line continually got hemmed into its own end, they could not break out worth a damn. Now they're actually generating scoring chances and eventually they'll get some points.
Exactly this. All the previous incarnations of the third line this year would have gotten destroyed in the playoffs by any of Toronto or TB’s first 3 lines. Now the Bruins likely feel comfortable playing this new third line against anyone and at least hope for a scaoreless shift. A chain is as strong as its weakest link and the 3rd line isn’t that link anymore.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad