Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I hear what you’re saying but they signed Stempniak, they’re going to play him at some point. They played Gionta last year.

Fitzgerald, I think, is much more of a longshot, which is a shame because he’s played well enough to have earned a look.

dunno about fitzy. he looks like he's gonna figure out a way to play in the NHL, but i don't see the separation
gear he needs at his size to make an impact. could be a useful bottom sixer if he hits, but more likely he'll end
up elsewhere with all the depth here (especially as a lefty LW).

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well Charlie better get his act together.
Three games and zero points with limited shots.
Donato has played 4 games getting 6 points and 11 shots on net.

So a guy basically can’t be playing well unless he’s “putting up stats”.

He’s easily been the most dangerous and effective player on his line. A line that doesn’t have much chance of producing with the other two guys on it. We’ve seen that all year long way before Coyle arrived.

Expecting him to put up points is a tall task playing with those guys. After just a couple games on a new team.

He’s looked good. If you’re just glued into hard numbers, and judging solely off that, I would not bother watching games.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

They have points in 15 straight games and team is better. That's what is supposed to matter, not if it looks like an individual trade is won or lost less than a week after being made I think.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
They have points in 15 straight games and team is better. That's what is supposed to matter, not if it looks like an individual trade is won or lost less than a week after being made I think.

Coyle was brought into fill a big hole in Boston as the Third line center, in which he has done and very- well, I might add. You cannot measure his offensive production on what he brings to the team in filling this role and it will be even more important come playoff time.

Now if the Bruins were concerned about who scored more points him or Donato, they'd probably play Coyle on the right-side with Bergy and Marchand and by the end of the year Coyle would more than likely out point Donato, but that's not the role the Bruins brought him into play and the Bruins would be the lesser team because if that was the case.

Bottom-Line,The Bruins are a lot better team today with Coyle than they were with Donato here.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrBender

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I hope your joking.

He's in Boston to address the major 3rd line problem, and so far done a great job with it.
Not his fault he's playing with zero offense guys.

Donato wouldn't be a solution to the 3rd line problem over Coyle.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
He's had many great shifts so far he's just playing with the two worst players on the team at all times, sadly
I think it's not even a matter of having great linemates as much as having the right ones. He seems to mesh with the oddest combos and show up for 5- 8 games and then the line would change and he would disappear again even if you rebuilt that same line.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well it's not only about stats but they do tell a story. Donato in 5 games has 7 points. He has been a major factor in Minnesota's surge of late. Yes, Coyle was brought in to stabilize the 3rd line center position and for the most part has done that. Has the 3rd line produced- "No". Yes we can blame Backes and Nordy- Okay. People wanted Cehlarik with him and Cassidy did. Cehlarik was benched in the third period. Four games and Coyle still has 0 points. Not sure who we have that can play with him, but its too bad we don't have enough talent on the wings. Marcus Johansson has 1 assist in three games. Yes, we all should be hoping for things to turn around for Charlie and Marcus to have success, but here is hoping it works out. Just think we gave up on Donato way too early and this trade likely will come back to bite the Bruins in the future.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Well it's not only about stats but they do tell a story. Donato in 5 games has 7 points. He has been a major factor in Minnesota's surge of late. Yes, Coyle was brought in to stabilize the 3rd line center position and for the most part has done that. Has the 3rd line produced- "No". Yes we can blame Backes and Nordy- Okay. People wanted Cehlarik with him and Cassidy did. Cehlarik was benched in the third period. Four games and Coyle still has 0 points. Not sure who we have that can play with him, but its too bad we don't have enough talent on the wings. Marcus Johansson has 1 assist in three games. Yes, we all should be hoping for things to turn around for Charlie and Marcus to have success, but here is hoping it works out. Just think we gave up on Donato way too early and this trade likely will come back to bite the Bruins in the future.

How is it going to bite them? They traded a good prospect with natural goal scoring talent for a veteran center with size and speed to help them win now.

If Ryan Donato wins a Rocket and Minnesota wins a Cup you can say that but I doubt either is going to happen.

Ryan Donato is a nice player who will get better but is never going to be an elite or even a top 30 player where you can say it was a mistake to trade him.

They gave to get and he’s doing well. It was a good trade for both teams

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
How is it going to bite them? They traded a good prospect with natural goal scoring talent for a veteran center with size and speed to help them win now.

If Ryan Donato wins a Rocket and Minnesota wins a Cup you can say that but I doubt either is going to happen.

Ryan Donato is a nice player who will get better but is never going to be an elite or even a top 30 player where you can say it was a mistake to trade him.

They gave to get and he’s doing well. It was a good trade for both teams
To solidify that thought it would be nice if CC could pop in a point or two in the next couple of games.

I agree that the albatross on his right is not helping matters. Heck, I’d even rescue Senyshyn from obscurity for a few games just to see if it changes the dynamics.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
To solidify that thought it would be nice if CC could pop in a point or two in the next couple of games.

I agree that the albatross on his right is not helping matters. Heck, I’d even rescue Senyshyn from obscurity for a few games just to see if it changes the dynamics.

It would be nice if Coyle got on the scoresheet but the team is winning so it’s not a huge concern. I’m sure it would be nice for him to break through so he can relax a bit, but it’s not like he was brought in here for that reason.

Points will come

Reactions: Flannelman

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Coyle has had chances in every game he's played for us. Had some nifty passing plays to guys who just could not put the puck in the net. Could have had at least 4 points by now with us just on missed open nets by his linemates alone.

Coyle is single-handedly making our 3rd line a threat in games. He is doing his job, and his linemates will change once Pasta gets back. Give him Heinen and see if that helps.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Coyle has had chances in every game he's played for us. Had some nifty passing plays to guys who just could not put the puck in the net. Could have had at least 4 points by now with us just on missed open nets by his linemates alone.

Coyle is single-handedly making our 3rd line a threat in games. He is doing his job, and his linemates will change once Pasta gets back. Give him Heinen and see if that helps.

But but zero points! 7 giveaways! 4 shots!

:shakehead

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I think it's not even a matter of having great linemates as much as having the right ones. He seems to mesh with the oddest combos and show up for 5- 8 games and then the line would change and he would disappear again even if you rebuilt that same line.

We get your point, you love Donato

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Still very unhappy with the player they gave up to get him, but he does offer a lot of stability. Seems to be getting better on the draw as well.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
And Brassard wanted out of Pittsburgh because he wanted more ice time and PP time. Trouble with that is the Pens have a couple of guys on the depth chart that were ahead of him who's names escape me now.

Think he was going to get that here?

Yes. Backes is on our second power play unit. David Backes. In 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad