Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As far as backes all I can tell you is St. Louis fans are still pissed he is not a Blue. Pretty much every discussion I had in St. Louis was about Backes. I am certain they would love him back. I also agreed, like the blues fans, that he has had two surgeries (removing intestines) , a 16 stitches cut, two concussions and his nose almost torn off, and bruins fans tear him a new one and have never really given him a fair shake.

Don’t really understand your post.

If he’s been bad because of injuries, is that “not giving him a fair shake” or is it simply not focusing on sympathy and desiring results on the ice? If you’re asking people to somehow accept what Backes is, and the level of his contributions, simply because he is a troopah...you’re nuts.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
sounds like his game was as advertised yesterday? Missed the game so can`t comment here but from what I`ve read, seemed to be a nice fit on that 3rd line and brought some stability? Sure be nice for Pasta to come back and provide Coyle with, maybe Heinen rather than Backes

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like Coyle. He has good hands good size and a mean backhand. Wins face offs too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
IMO this trade checks all the boxes good on DS. Character kid that wont disrupt chemistry. Big and strong guy with versatility that can also play PP and PK with a very reasonable price tag and tied up for another year. Plugs perfectly into 3C.
Coyle was not on the PP much in MN, and when he was, he was ineffective. Also wasn't on the PK that much, but he is decent at it. MN just had a lot of good PK'ers.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Coyle was not on the PP much in MN, and when he was, he was ineffective. Also wasn't on the PK that much, but he is decent at it. MN just had a lot of good PK'ers.

Considering our 2nd PP unit with Pastrnak out has seen Kuhlman, Trent Frederic etc. Coyle is an upgrade in that area.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He seems to have much better offensive skill than his numbers indicate. Maybe they can get him with the sports psychologist Marchand used to help him become a ppg player. Although it's doubtful it will help much on the third line this year, but next year, if Bjork, and Senyshyn get called up, that could be a productive third line.
Coyle will flash 1st line skill, then go through periods where he looks like he has hockey dyslexia. He will also dominate other teams physically for 10 game stretches, then disappear for a while, though he is always somewhat physical. Wild fans got frustrated with his lack of consistency....I did, too, but always valued what he did bring. If he can ever get more consistent(it's got to be mental, he works HARD) then you will have a 1st line talent on your hands. He's got all the tools.

I don't ever see him being a BIG point scorer, but 50/yr. should be possible, if he plays with talented linemates.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Considering our 2nd PP unit with Pastrnak out has seen Kuhlman, Trent Frederic etc. Coyle is an upgrade in that area.
His biggest plus is being a puck retrieval guy in the O zone...maybe a net front guy. He's got the build and strength, but Nino was always better than him there. Not much a setup man, and even though he has a decent shot he's a reluctant shooter.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Coyle will flash 1st line skill, then go through periods where he looks like he has hockey dyslexia. He will also dominate other teams physically for 10 game stretches, then disappear for a while, though he is always somewhat physical. Wild fans got frustrated with his lack of consistency....I did, too, but always valued what he did bring. If he can ever get more consistent(it's got to be mental, he works HARD) then you will have a 1st line talent on your hands. He's got all the tools.

I don't ever see him being a BIG point scorer, but 50/yr. should be possible, if he plays with talented linemates.

Seeing as we got him as a third liner who can play up if needed, he doesn't have to be Bergeron in consistency. Hopefully he can put it together- sometimes the right coach/siuation can unlock things in players for whatever reason. ANd by the way, I hope Donato lights it up for you guys. He's a bit of a project, but if your coaches can get the best out of him, you'll have a solid goal scorer on your hands. As people in Boston say, he's a SNIPAH

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Coyle could have joined the team in St. Louis - but he flew to Vegas to hang out with his new team

Anatomy of a trade: The discussions that sent Charlie Coyle...

upload_2019-2-24_13-24-11.png

upload_2019-2-24_13-24-45.png

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA

I understand. I was just wondering out loud, because Marchand was about the same age when he went from a 40-50 point player to 80+ with the help of a sports psychologist. Entering his prime late 20s years could have been a factor as well. I think it was mostly just convincing him he has more to give, and believing that he can be a big goal scorer. I figure it's worth a shot.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
sounds like his game was as advertised yesterday? Missed the game so can`t comment here but from what I`ve read, seemed to be a nice fit on that 3rd line and brought some stability? Sure be nice for Pasta to come back and provide Coyle with, maybe Heinen rather than Backes

Coach Cassidy seems intent on getting Backes going, with Coyle as the catalyst centering the third line.

Before the game, Cassidy said the addition of Coyle could be a boost for Backes and it appeared to be so. He had five shots on net, tying a season high.

“You’d hope so, right?” said Cassidy. “We want Charlie to drive a line, if he’s the centerman. If he’s a right wing with (David) Krejci or (Patrice Bergeron), those guys are drivers. But hopefully (Coyle) could do that for that line. David could use that right now. He’s a guy with pace who can separate a little bit to open ice to get him going to find his spots. We’ll see if there’s any chemistry there."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/23 ... uins-loss/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Coach Cassidy seems intent on getting Backes going, with Coyle as the catalyst centering the third line.

Before the game, Cassidy said the addition of Coyle could be a boost for Backes and it appeared to be so. He had five shots on net, tying a season high.

“You’d hope so, right?” said Cassidy. “We want Charlie to drive a line, if he’s the centerman. If he’s a right wing with (David) Krejci or (Patrice Bergeron), those guys are drivers. But hopefully (Coyle) could do that for that line. David could use that right now. He’s a guy with pace who can separate a little bit to open ice to get him going to find his spots. We’ll see if there’s any chemistry there.

Smart move, it's pretty much their last kick at the can to get anything out of Backes. If Coyle with Backes fails, then you pretty much have to wave the white flag on Backes as a regular everyday player this season. Where would he play? I'd use him centering that 4th line sometimes but Cassidy won't go there.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I understand. I was just wondering out loud, because Marchand was about the same age when he went from a 40-50 point player to 80+ with the help of a sports psychologist. Entering his prime late 20s years could have been a factor as well. I think it was mostly just convincing him he has more to give, and believing that he can be a big goal scorer. I figure it's worth a shot.

I'm not sure that high end is there. Don't really want to find out as it would mean injury to one of the two top guys. But this is a better fill in than a kid.

San Jose rematch of the best game of the season and Tampa are going to be good tests for him at home this week. We have a very good team but these are 2 games we could get our doors blown off in. Having 4 lines would be huge. Hope he gets Cehlarik on his line and not Backes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

“You’d hope so, right?” said Cassidy. “We want Charlie to drive a line, if he’s the centerman. If he’s a right wing with (David) Krejci or (Patrice Bergeron), those guys are drivers. But hopefully (Coyle) could do that for that line. David could use that right now. He’s a guy with pace who can separate a little bit to open ice to get him going to find his spots. We’ll see if there’s any chemistry there."

hope it does get Backes going, sure not feeling great about his game this year at all, couldn`t find better timing for that to change Alan

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
As far as backes all I can tell you is St. Louis fans are still pissed he is not a Blue. Pretty much every discussion I had in St. Louis was about Backes. I am certain they would love him back. I also agreed, like the blues fans, that he has had two surgeries (removing intestines) , a 16 stitches cut, two concussions and his nose almost torn off, and bruins fans tear him a new one and have never really given him a fair shake.

This needs to be stickied on the Backes thread - great post!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe Coyle went to Vegas to meet the team because he's got a Vanek problem?

Shimoe

Jun 13, 2011
Norm Green Sucks

Your analysis is spot on. I think the reason that Minnesota was so willing to part ways was that there was such high hopes for Coyle and that it just wasn't coming together. Minnesota is just so desperate for a shooter. I think with a lot of the pressure off him, so to speak, he will have the chance to develop into a solid player, if not a top 6. Good luck to Coyle and the Bruins, I hope this trade works out for both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad