Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Coyle will flash 1st line skill, then go through periods where he looks like he has hockey dyslexia. He will also dominate other teams physically for 10 game stretches, then disappear for a while, though he is always somewhat physical. Wild fans got frustrated with his lack of consistency....I did, too, but always valued what he did bring. If he can ever get more consistent(it's got to be mental, he works HARD) then you will have a 1st line talent on your hands. He's got all the tools.

I don't ever see him being a BIG point scorer, but 50/yr. should be possible, if he plays with talented linemates.

To be fair, consistency is a knock on almost ever professional player. I think he was brought in because of his style of play. Bruins want that type of hard to play against guy that can contribute on and off the score sheet. If Coyle is what you described here, that is a homerun for this management group and likely a homerun for Minny as well with Donato. Hopefully a rare win/win trade.

Reactions: trenton1

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Does Coyle have enough offensive upside to take over when Krejci's gone? Do you think that is management's plan? Or will he just be the 3C with spot duty on top 6 with injuries?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Does Coyle have enough offensive upside to take over when Krejci's gone? Do you think that is management's plan? Or will he just be the 3C with spot duty on top 6 with injuries?

I think he will be 3C with spot T6 duty. I don't think Coyle is anywhere close to being good enough to be an effective Top 6 center on a contending team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, I think Coyle has the physical ability to be a 2nd line C. I like his game...it is tailor made for the playoffs, when things get down and dirty. He doesn't take penalties, but is a Beast out there. There are only about two players in the league that guy handle him, and one of them is now on his team. That huge Dman on CO took it into his head to run him early on in a game and it didn't take long for Chahlie to show him the errors of his ways.
If he could learn to relax a bit more when he has the puck he would be quite the talent.

Donato looks average at best in strength and speed, but he hasn't stopped scoring since he got here. He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Gallagher. Hopefully he can spend some time in the weight room with Coyle when he gets back to Boston to train in the summer. He needs to get stronger.

Reactions: DrJustice and CDJ

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
not saying he's got the same offensive upside, but he reminds me a lot of Horton at times. The way he carries the puck & tours the zone is very Horton-like. Kind of a Horton-lite.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes, I think Coyle has the physical ability to be a 2nd line C. I like his game...it is tailor made for the playoffs, when things get down and dirty. He doesn't take penalties, but is a Beast out there. There are only about two players in the league that guy handle him, and one of them is now on his team. That huge Dman on CO took it into his head to run him early on in a game and it didn't take long for Chahlie to show him the errors of his ways.
If he could learn to relax a bit more when he has the puck he would be quite the talent.

Donato looks average at best in strength and speed, but he hasn't stopped scoring since he got here. He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Gallagher. Hopefully he can spend some time in the weight room with Coyle when he gets back to Boston to train in the summer. He needs to get stronger.

Honestly think this was a win-win. Both teams got players that better fit their timeline. Bruins plugged a huge hole. Minnesota got a kid with a lot of offensive talent who could round out his game over time and become a really good player

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We'll see. It's still really early. Donato doesn't look good to me, but as long as he keeps scoring it's hard to be unhappy. My worry is that with Nino and Coyle out, we become an easy team to play against in the post season.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Even though donato is scoring I'll take Coyle . He's more trustworthy big body and you can feel points will come. His wingers are anchoring him offensively. Not his fault.

His wingers were good tonite.Coyle had 10 goals with Minny.Guess Parise held him back there too.They dominated a top team tonite so they must been good.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Imagine him with patrice and bergy. He would be a point a game too. Backes needs to pick it up.

.He was with Parise in Minny alot.I like Coyle size and way he can hold onto the puck in O zone and his responsibility in own end but I do not see him scoring alot of goals.He could however score some bigtime timely goals for Bruins yet..

Reactions: Pia8988

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
In Minnesota there were three versions of Coyle. For about 12 games a year he looks like someone who could be a star in the league - a beast in the offensive zone, scoring and dominating possession. For about 15 to 20 games he would be great at maintaining possession in the offensive zone but it would never turn into points. The rest of the time he would be invisible. He is responsible defensively so he rarely hurt the team but you will spend a lot of time wondering why you aren't getting more from him based on how he looks on the ice. He tends to look a lot better on the eye test than on the score sheet. That isn't to say that he is a bad player, but you shouldn't expect more than a competent placeholder.

Reactions: Pia8988

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like having Coyle in Boston, and that he's signed for another season.

Was mentioning him months ago, and it's nice to see team landing a player you've been looking at.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I like having Coyle in Boston, and that he's signed for another season.

Was mentioning him months ago, and it's nice to see team landing a player you've been looking at.

Once Pasta is back you have Nords/Cehlarik Coyle Heinen and now you have a Coyle producing.

Time for Backes to sit...

Reactions: BB88

remer

Oct 18, 2005
In Minnesota there were three versions of Coyle. For about 12 games a year he looks like someone who could be a star in the league - a beast in the offensive zone, scoring and dominating possession. For about 15 to 20 games he would be great at maintaining possession in the offensive zone but it would never turn into points. The rest of the time he would be invisible. He is responsible defensively so he rarely hurt the team but you will spend a lot of time wondering why you aren't getting more from him based on how he looks on the ice. He tends to look a lot better on the eye test than on the score sheet. That isn't to say that he is a bad player, but you shouldn't expect more than a competent placeholder.

Sounds pretty accurate. We can only hope that he breaks out as a Bruin. Donato is lighting it up in Minnesota ( 4 games = 6 points) Charlie has yet to register a point in two games.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He needs better wingers! Cehlarik/Kuhlman or Debrusk when Pasta comes back please ...... but that will never happen :(

His wingers, when everyone returns, will more than likely be Heinen/Johansson + Backes. It's hard to replace Heinen on the top line seeing he has 9 points in his last 10GP. Who would have thought you'd get 0.90 PPG production from a Stiff like Heinen?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
His wingers, when everyone returns, will more than likely be Heinen/Johansson + Backes. It's hard to replace Heinen on the top line seeing he has 9 points in his last 10GP. Who would have thought you'd get 0.90 PPG production from a Stiff like Heinen?

I always liked Heinen's game (the same with Bjork) it was just a matter of time (sophmore slump, confidence)
when Pasta's Back i hope they slot him with Krejci. I think we're a better Team if they slot Pasta on the 2nd line (line 1b). Although Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta is the best line in hockey, i'd rather have a better overall team then the best line.

i would love to see the following

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
Debrusk/MoJo - Krejci - Pastrnak
Debrusk/MoJo - Coyle - Cehlarik/Kuhlman/Nordstrom
Acciari - Kuraly - Wagner
Backes

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I would hate to split up Debrusk-Krejci BUT i think slotting Debrusk with Coyle would force Coyle's skating game. We've all heard from wild fans that Coyle can sometime float around but i think having a speedy winger like DeBrusk force Coyle to keep his feet moving and be more engaged 24/7

it could also develop some long term Chemistry Since Coyle is more than likely gonna be around (hoping) for the next 5-7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad