Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can he really play center though? Being versatile is one thing, being a center capable of winning FO’s and match up against Toronto and Tampa is something different.
His best stretch this year was at center with Parise after Koivu was injured. At this point I think he does a better job there than he does at RW.

Geordie Bruin

Dec 27, 2018
Newcastle
TRADE KLAXON!

As a stand alone deal it’s okay, gives the 3rd line an immediate upgrade and we aren’t taking away a piece from the team right now. Hopefully coming into a great locker room and winning culture will bring the best out of him.

If it’s the precursor to a blockbuster deal for a legit scorer then it looks even better move adding depth for a run at the cup.

Good luck to Donato, he seems a good kid, he’s got a great release but has massive gaping holes in his game to work on but will get the chance to play in Minny. Obviously after several looks at the kid, management don’t think he will worth keeping around and wouldn’t have helped us for the foreseeable future.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Wasn’t crazy about Donato as a prospect. Skating seems to be lacking. But Coyle is the definition of “meh.” I like this trade a lot more if they can get a significant upgrade for 2 RW

Reactions: LSCII

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Those expectations are idiotic. Blake Wheeler was hated because he wasn’t a hitter. How stupid do those folks look now?

I agree. But do you not agree that is the case? Coyle is a streaky player that doesn't go around banging everything in sight. Historically, that does not go over well in terms of opinion when that player also has size.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like Coyle's size. 6'2'', 6'3'' 220+, not saying he's a heavy hitter or anything. But I'd probably have more confidence in him going into a corner come playoff time and not getting bounced into another time zone like Donato/Bjork/JFK etc.

He's not overtly physical, but he doesn't really shy away from it either. It's just not in his game to go out and be Chris Wagner... he's more like Bergeron with his physicality. People calling him soft are flat out wrong.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wasn’t crazy about Donato as a prospect. Skating seems to be lacking. But Coyle is the definition of “meh.” I like this trade a lot more if they can get a significant upgrade for 2 RW

That's how I'm viewing it as well. If he's here to be on the third line and they go out and get someone for the second, great. If he's the answer for the second line, then I will murder someone.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Not expecting much from Coyle, but I didn't expect Donato to be an effective nhl player.

I guess that makes it a good swap.

Pretty much agreed here. I didn't see Donato becoming an effective NHL player, not in Boston at least..Hes small, loses puck battles...his greatest quality was his shot. Didn't see much future for him in Boston..

Coyle should help. He helps the current roster, versatile forward..but not an exciting player by any means to watch..he does his job and pots points here n there...He'll help but he definitely isn't a name to be hyped about.

Need to get a winger still.

Everyone wants Stone, hell who doesnt but without giving up Marchand, DeBrusk, McAvoy or someone of that caliber I just don't see that happening. That I'm not comfortable with. I could live with losing DeBrusk for him, it would hurt, but trades like that should hurt a bit.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This is an exceelent pickup. The cost is steep, Donato is going to be a good secondary scorer, but this guy made the most sense out of all the 3C options.

Mid 20’s
Signed for another year
He has size and speed and is more willing to hit than almost all the other 3C options.
Can play C and W so they can slide him over next year if a young C is ready.

The biggest negative on him IMO is that he sometimes goes quiet for stretches but I think being in a contract year next year will help with that.
I came here to see what you and a couple of other s thought about the trade. Thanks !!

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
This guy is good and will get an enormous jump out of playing at home in front of his family and friends every night. He's a big body too and character guy. Will have an instant impact at St Louis on Saturday.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
That's how I'm viewing it as well. If he's here to be on the third line and they go out and get someone for the second, great. If he's the answer for the second line, then I will murder someone.

100% agree..I think if we add someone to help the scoring depth on the 2nd this trade will be highly beneficial. Sort of like when we added Peverly and co in 11

Reactions: LSCII

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Where are you seeing 15 points in 44 games? I see 28 in 60 and 37 in 66 the year before. Basically 0.5PPG-ish.

Pretty sure this is their 3rd line addition and a bigger fish is coming for the 2nd line, they barely used any assets.

Playoff production. My fault, I was typing on my phone.

Reactions: Emerz

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Massive hole filled on the third line while only losing an RFA to be AHL player and a 5th round pick. Same amount of points as Debrusk on the season, 6th on the team. If he's the definition of 'Meh' then i'll take meh all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad