Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I had zero trust to this midd6 going into playoffs, they needed 2 additions to become a real threat, they are now at 1/2.

I agree with you as just about everyone else does but there's plenty of time.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I think Coyle will elevate his game coming back to Boston and he absolutely solves the 3C problem.

That’s all I wanted to hear. Not that “he can play C,” sometimes...in a pinch...whatnot.

He “needs” to play center and do it well. A well-rounded center.

I’m hoping that DS sees Coyle as a sturdy, playoff ready, 3c fix.

That I would be fine with. He’s gotta give the old champs on this team a shot. Paying a reasonable amount is fine. #NoPanarin

Reactions: Strafer

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I like the move personally. I think it is a shame that Donato couldn't pan out exactly the way Bruins management thought he would, especially after his debut last year. That said, I think the Bruins got a good depth piece to bolster the third line and possibly function as a Mike Knuble-esque two way winger with Krejci if need be and didn't need to pay a lot. That said, I hope there is another big move to come here and this isn't the only trade that Sweeney can pull off.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I'm also kind of confused as to why people think Heinen can be effective on the 3rd line when he hasn't shown he can do much unless surrounded by talent.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
This makes a lot of sense from a Bruins' perspective. If the Bruins envision Marchand and DeBrusk being their top 6 LW for the next 4+ years, where does that leave Donato? Donato's play-style reminds me a lot like Spooner's. I don't think Donato will ever fit as a bottom 6 player. I think he had one of the highest ceilings than any of the other forward prospects, but there are some holes in his game. He doesn't seem all too interested in the defensive part of the game, he is weak on the puck, and his size doesn't help him battling for pucks in the corners. I think he can definitely improve those areas of his game and become a full-time NHLer, but just like Spooner, it may have been the right time to move him.

Coyle as the return for me is okay. I would have hoped for a better return than Coyle with Donato involved, but he definitely improves the third line (ex. Cehlarik-Coyle-Heinen). I think being 26, being signed for one more season, and the ability to play C and RW made Coyle a very attractive player for Sweeney to add, especially if he feels like he can be a player the Bruins can re-sign.

I'm glad that being Ted's kid didn't stop them from moving him. Putting my conspiracy hat on, I also don't think the Bruins were a fan of Donato's comments when he said he was NHL-ready after Neely's comments with season ticket holders and the Bruins sending him in Providence in the first place to improve on other areas of his game. All things considered, it probably made this trade a little easier to swallow.

Sounds like Staal was Sweeney's #1 target, but since he didn't want to waive, Sweeney traded for Coyle instead. Adding to the roster without giving one up is also a us. Hey Sweeney, go out and get that top 6 RW now.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I agree and have to say I like your name "Riverbottom "..Nightmare band :laugh:. We watch Emmet Otter every Christmas Eve and have been since my daughter was very young (she is 39 now) . It is Tradition (Along with White Christmas and Christmas eve on Sesame St)
It's been a tradition my dad passed down to me lol watch it every year, always figured Chuck would have been a B's fan haha

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Coyle is better than anything Heinen has had to play with on the third line.

Well neither player has shown that they can drive their own line this season but hopefully they work well together and figure it out.

Reactions: minpind

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Seems like a decent move to address the needs of the 3rd line. Donato had a great shot, and he may yet develop into a consistent offensive threat in the NHL, but I didn't see him contributing to the Bruins' top 6 any time soon, and he's not a bottom 6 type of player on this team.

Now add that top 6 RW, and when Pasta's back, we have a 3rd line of:
Cehlarik/Nordstrom-Coyle-Heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad