Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Both he and Zacha are on pace for 65 points, which is a good clip for a top 6 center. Those would be career highs for each, so hopefully they can sustain their production and over all play for the rest of the year ( and beyond ). I don't think the Bruins would have to go shopping for a top 6 center if these two ( and Poitras ) continue to play like they have. I think the play would be to shop for a top 6 winger after JVR prices himself out next year.

BruinsBlitz

Nov 15, 2023
Bergeron had 14 points after 15 games
Krejci had 12 points after 15 games

From my viewpoint at 47 years old: The veterans always play hard, but in playoffs, it's the younger players who excel. They recover faster and have that extra gear that the veterans are already relying on, especially when they're not out socializing and chasing the ladies!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
the people who do won't say shit until he hits a slump and then they'll be the first to say they knew all along that he's not a real top 2 center.

I'm a Coyle fan, but I've always said that he's never proven himself as a legit top 6 center. Had a chance two years ago and couldn't make it stick. This season he's had a very strong start and he's putting up some really solid points. But the underlying numbers 5v5 still aren't all that flash (46% CF, 51% SF, 48% xGF, +1 GF) and his playmaking still has its limitations. Those numbers won't matter much though as long as he and his line continue to produce.

He's playing well, no real complaints, but can he effectively anchor a top line through the grind of the season and, most importantly, in the playoffs? Think for me the jury's still out on that. It's possible, but we'll see.

Reactions: GordonHowe

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s legit top 6 player- his PK alone is incredible

He’s also meshing with 63 & 37

He’s handling the increased responsibility with A grade
Anazing thing is that his numbers ar skewed because he's one of few Top 6Cs who gets minimal PP time. I would imagine he'd flirt with 70 points if he was a fixture on PP1. Doing an amazing job in his role at 5 on 5

Reactions: HustleB and DKH

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Anazing thing is that his numbers ar skewed because he's one of few Top 6Cs who gets minimal PP time. I would imagine he'd flirt with 70 points if he was a fixture on PP1. Doing an amazing job in his role at 5 on 5
To bad he can't win face-offs , top 6 players especially centers usually do. He starts doing that then I would say he is a top 6

But we need a number one center badly and have Coyle where he belongs. Come playoff time losing face-offs constantly especially in the D zone will prove to be a reason for an early exit. Beecher is there best face off option in my view

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
To bad he can't win face-offs , top 6 players especially centers usually do. He starts doing that then I would say he is a top 6

But we need a number one center badly and have Coyle where he belongs. Come playoff time losing face-offs constantly especially in the D zone will prove to be a reason for an early exit. Beecher is there best face off option in my view
He's 15th in the NHL in Faceoff wins and is at 51% win percentage. The difference between him and Bergeron is basically 1 more faceoff win per game.

Not elite, but not chopped liver, either. I think people are a little spoiled after having Bergeron for all these years.

False Start

May 8, 2018
He's 15th in the NHL in Faceoff wins and is at 51% win percentage. The difference between him and Bergeron is basically 1 more faceoff win per game.

Not elite, but not chopped liver, either. I think people are a little spoiled after having Bergeron for all these years.
Yeah I mean last year he was 52% all other years below 50%.

I'm not going to cry over this years 51%

Reactions: Ladyfan

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

He’s 88th in face off win percentage. Especially against better teams he struggles in the dot.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah I mean last year he was 52% all other years below 50%.

I'm not going to cry over this years 51%
Agreed. He's taking also taking tougher draws this year than last year......and he's holding his own.

Like I said before, statistically, the difference between him and Bergeron is about 1 faceoff win per game.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Agreed. He's taking also taking tougher draws this year than last year......and he's holding his own.

Like I said before, statistically, the difference between him and Bergeron is about 1 faceoff win per game.
The difference is when you win them, I have zero confidence in Coyle in crunch time

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I'm not hugely concerned of his face-off ability, although it may play a small part why he's consistently getting pounded in matchups against other actual top-6 caliber centers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm a Coyle fan, but I've always said that he's never proven himself as a legit top 6 center. Had a chance two years ago and couldn't make it stick. This season he's had a very strong start and he's putting up some really solid points. But the underlying numbers 5v5 still aren't all that flash (46% CF, 51% SF, 48% xGF, +1 GF) and his playmaking still has its limitations. Those numbers won't matter much though as long as he and his line continue to produce.

He's playing well, no real complaints, but can he effectively anchor a top line through the grind of the season and, most importantly, in the playoffs? Think for me the jury's still out on that. It's possible, but we'll see.

I can't find them all on YouTube, but some of Coyle's recent goals surprised me in that they were pinpoint accurate (one just below the crossbar). They were "goal scorer's goals." Like, elite. I never thought he had those kind of hands.

In the event, it's great to see Charlie having success and proving some (including me) wrong about his ability to play in the top six. First and foremost, Coyle is a responsible, 200 ft. pivot. His faceoff success has been notable, as mentioned by others above. He's big, strong, and a puck possession monster. He wears opponents' D (and forwards) down.

Congratulations, Charlie. Keep it up.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad