Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If he plays with Marchand and Debrusk most of the year and can get some decent PP time I think 55-60 points is attainable. Not sure I would classify him as the #1 center when you have Zacha centering Pastrnak.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the 1st line will be Pasta-Zacha-Marchand

If it is Coyle, he'd be average at best IMO. Solid D, 60 points or so racking up assists with Pasta and Marchand

That's how I see it as well. They may try Marchand on a different line but for all intensive purposes, Zacha as C + Pasta on RW are your first line. They'll likely see all of Marchand, JVR, Lucic, Debrusk, and even others, at some point on LW. Kevin Stevens might get a look yet.

I don't even think Coyle is locked into the 2nd center job. I think when it's all said and done, Morgan Geekie will be centering what people consider "the 2nd line" or the scoring line with pile of offensive zone starts but comparatively little in the defensive zone.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My $.02

In a lot of ways Coyle seems primed for a breakout season. At even strength, he outscored most of the #1 centers fans here covet, and he did that in a shut down role, getting 71% Dzone starts. Put him with more productive wingers like Marchand and DeBrusk, give him 60% Ozone starts (which is what the Marchand line is used to getting) and it's hard to make a reasonable argument that his even strength offense won't improve.

The question is where does he fit on the PP. His lack of PP production has always suppressed his point totals. He's always been on the 2nd PP so they don't see a ton of ice. Being relegated to 2nd PP duty also suppressed Hall's totals. If Coyle is the new right shot bumper on the PP1 it could be a big year for him.

The flip side to all that is his age. It's rare for 30+ year olds to have breakout years... Marchand did it, and Coyle is a similar gym rat, but still history isn't favorable.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
My $.02

In a lot of ways Coyle seems primed for a breakout season. At even strength, he outscored most of the #1 centers fans here covet, and he did that in a shut down role, getting 71% Dzone starts. Put him with more predicting wingers like Marchand and DeBrusk, give him 60% Ozone starts (which is what the Marchand line is used to getting) and it's hard to make a reasonable argument that his even strength offense won't improve.

The question is where does he fit on the PP. His lack of PP production has always suppressed his point totals. He's always been on the 2nd PP so they don't see a ton of ice. Being relegated to 2nd PP duty also suppressed Hall's totals. If Coyle is the new right shot bumper on the PP1 it could be a big year for him.

The flip side to all that is his age. It's rare for 30+ year olds to have breakout years... Marchand did it, and Coyle is a similar gym rat, but still history isn't favorable.
Cheapo advice lol but agreed.

Does a poll make sense for this thread?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Coyle isn't and won't be their #1C, because they currently don't have one or its unknown. They'll have to roll 4 lines efficiently.

If the current roster upfront stays as is I think Zacha will be the guy with Pasta/Debrusk. The skill is there physically and mentally(Zacha) but we have to find out if he can prove to be consistent, which is what NJ fans said he failed to do there.

Babajingo

I think the 1st line will be Pasta-Zacha-Marchand

If it is Coyle, he'd be average at best IMO. Solid D, 60 points or so racking up assists with Pasta and Marchand
Going back to the Perfection Line days. where they have one great line.
Its easy for a good team defend against one line.
Would the second line be something like Debrusk-Coyle-JVR?
I see alot of low scoring games, especially with the good D that they have.

One thing for sure, its going to be different from last year.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Going back to the Perfection Line days. where they have one great line.
Its easy for a good team defend against one line.
Would the second line be something like Debrusk-Coyle-JVR?
I see alot of low scoring games, especially with the good D that they have.

One thing for sure, its going to be different from last year.

Yeah, to me unless guys step up it's gonna be that kind of hockey this year. Lock it down defensively and stack a line hoping they can carry the offense and the Coyle-DeBrusk pair kick in enough to win games.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No, I'm not but it's just hard to look at and think this team will compete.

I'm interested in who the 4th center of the group will be. I'm really hoping that Frederic can get back to playing C and be part of the 4-man group.

Just get to the dance. That's all I care about now.

Which group stands to be better come Aprl/May/June.

Bergeron - 37
Krejci - 36
Coyle - 31
Nosek- 30

Zacha - 26
Geekie - 25
Coyle - 32
Frederic - 25

There is a part of me that thinks I'd take the bottom group of C's come playoff time. Folks raised concerns last summer of trying to win with your two top C's in their late 30s and that's exactly how it played out, just not in Boston's favor.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad