Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Brought it up in a GDT the other day, but Coyle has finally overcome his Bruins 16 goal nemesis. He is definitely proving that he is a solid 1B-2 center. He is now projecting to have a 30 goal season and almost 70 points. Not what I expected when management decided on Coyle/Zacha going 1/2.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Here is where he stacks up after 46 games vs. his career highs.

If all goes right, he'll hit 1,000 games in the last deal of his contract in 2026.

Current Totals:
Goals: 17
Assists: 21
+/-: +8

Career Highs:
Highest Goals: 21 (2015-2016)
Highest Assists: 38 (2016-2017)
Highest Points: 56 (2016-2017)
Highest +/-: +29 (2022-2023)

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Looks like I should have gone with option two: seviceable number one center. I still have my doubts.

So he's one of the lower ranked top 32 C's in the league.

For 5.25M for two more years after this.

Do you understand how much of a jackpot that is? A 70 pt 1C in this league, even a "serviecable" one, is about to cost 9M+ on the open market. I can easily prove it, but I'm hoping you don't make me paste the 10 obvious contracts.

So you're getting a 9M guy for 5.25M, and you're moaning. Dude this is found money.

We must stop dipping these nuggets in the weak sauce...

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
In terms of performance for the B's, he's got to be one of the best local kids to ever play for them. The consistency alone, and now he steps up this year in a big way. Who are some others that have had this much of a positive impact through the years, can't be too many.

-Janney's offense worked great with Neely, but defense and physicality were a foreign language to him
-he's better than Swoop Sweeney

Reactions: HustleB and BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
In terms of performance for the B's, he's got to be one of the best local kids to ever play for them. The consistency alone, and now he steps up this year in a big way. Who are some others that have had this much of a positive impact through the years, can't be too many.

-Janney's offense worked great with Neely, but defense and physicality were a foreign language to him
-he's better than Swoop Sweeney
Guerin?

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018

Pretty sure this is exactly why Haula and Coyle switched spots between 2nd/3rd line center 2 years ago under Cassidy after a few weeks early that season. Coyle could handle his own line with whoever on it, Haula could not, even though Haula was not bad himself. Coyle kept that 3rd line responsible and dangerous. Unfortunately, too many took that as Coyle not being able to handle a top 6 center role.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Pretty sure this is exactly why Haula and Coyle switched spots between 2nd/3rd line center 2 years ago under Cassidy after a few weeks early that season. Coyle could handle his own line with whoever on it, Haula could not, even though Haula was not bad himself. Coyle kept that 3rd line responsible and dangerous. Unfortunately, too many took that as Coyle not being able to handle a top 6 center role.
Very well said.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
My dudes:

Lindholm 30 pts
Hertl 32 pts
Bedard 33 pts
Tavares 33 pts
Coyle 36 pts
Malkin 37 pts
Kadri 37 pts
Suzuki 38 pts
Kopitar 39 pts
I posted at the beginning of the season when everyone was screaming the Bruins need to go out and get #1 center, I said wait and see what you have let it play out before overspend. I am glad they listened to me........hahaha

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Looks like I should have gone with option two: seviceable number one center. I still have my doubts.
You have every right to have your doubts, but so far they have not needed to move any assets.......that is a positive for the future also.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
“When you’re called upon to have more responsibility and kinda move up the depth chart… First line, second line, whatever… There is more responsibility to produce and you want to rise to that occasion,” Coyle said following Saturday’s win. “So when you see yourself in there, you say to yourself, ‘Hey, that’s where I belong, that’s where I am going to play, that’s where the team needs me tonight and I want to make sure I produce and play the right way like I know how.’”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
“When you’re called upon to have more responsibility and kinda move up the depth chart… First line, second line, whatever… There is more responsibility to produce and you want to rise to that occasion,” Coyle said following Saturday’s win. “So when you see yourself in there, you say to yourself, ‘Hey, that’s where I belong, that’s where I am going to play, that’s where the team needs me tonight and I want to make sure I produce and play the right way like I know how.’”

Congratulations, Charlie.

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Coyle is a likeable player. I like his game ALOT

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I posted at the beginning of the season when everyone was screaming the Bruins need to go out and get #1 center, I said wait and see what you have let it play out before overspend. I am glad they listened to me........hahaha
Bruins are still looking to add a top 6 centre is a good possibility ( off season my bet but never know) but even last year vs Florida they had them 3 games to 1 with this group so why not give them the reigns if the Ws keep coming.Probably winn that series last yr if they never made those changes.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins are still looking to add a top 6 centre is a good possibility ( off season my bet but never know) but even last year vs Florida they had them 3 games to 1 with this group so why not give them the reigns if the Ws keep coming.Probably winn that series last yr if they never made those changes.
That is my thinking wait, offseason you will have a better idea and you are not giving up assets, and some cases you need to resign that player and we all know how that went last off season.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
1 goal in the past 10 games. This is what regression to the mean looks like. He is having a great season for what he is, a 3C being asked to play well above the player the has proven to be over a long career.

I don’t want the Bruins trading what little futures they have to try to get a center for the playoff push, but it is the lack of top 6 centers that is going to result in a short playoffs this year. And that is ok. They can’t go for it every year.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
1 goal in the past 10 games. This is what regression to the mean looks like. He is having a great season for what he is, a 3C being asked to play well above the player the has proven to be over a long career.

I don’t want the Bruins trading what little futures they have to try to get a center for the playoff push, but it is the lack of top 6 centers that is going to result in a short playoffs this year. And that is ok. They can’t go for it every year.
He's not even generating opportunities for his line mates. I will also say he's lost a step and appears to look very slow to the puck on many occasions.

But in his defense he's playing way over his head and never should have been put in this position long term. Plus do we really want him taking a must win face-off?

At the end of the day Im sure the Bruins are extremely happy they got this far with him in that position in a transition year with no assets to trade or the cap space to make a move to strengthen that position this season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

He has 6 points in those 10 games, that’s not exactly a slump.

He has 0 points in 5 games and is a -5 over that time. Now THAT is a mini slump. But that’s allowable, everybody goes through one.

It is not a coincidence that the team started performing poorly when Coyle did

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad