Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I’m surprised the organization was so quick to make the right move is all.

Its very early in the season, so I would pump the brakes on Coyle remaining a 3rd line center the entire year. Poitras hasn't played a single game in a top six C slot. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see #51 back in 3C role against LA with their top 2C of Kopitar and Dubois who are sorry for the pun, King sized centers. Add in Doughty and Gavrikov probably on separate pairings and yeah can see Coyle back in top 6 Saturday night. SJ is a good team for #51 to get a top 6 role.

You may end up with lines like below to distribute scoring in the middle 6.

63-18-88
21-13-11
74-51-39

Reactions: Blowfish

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fair point. I think the emergence of Poitras has allowed them to be honest with their evaluation of Coyle for a change.

Its very early in the season, so I would pump the brakes on Coyle remaining a 3rd line center the entire year. Poitras hasn't played a single game in a top six C slot. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see #51 back in 3C role against LA with their top 2C of Kopitar and Dubois who are sorry for the pun, King sized centers. Add in Doughty and Gavrikov probably on separate pairings and yeah can see Coyle back in top 6 Saturday night. SJ is a good team for #51 to get a top 6 role.

63-18-88
21-13-11
74-51-39
Any rookie is going to have ups and downs in their first season. Regardless of that though, it's pretty clear that Coyle is a 3rd line center and not a top 6 guy. Poitras at least has upside.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Fair point. I think the emergence of Poitras has allowed them to be honest with their evaluation of Coyle for a change.

Any rookie is going to have ups and downs in their first season. Regardless of that though, it's pretty clear that Coyle is a 3rd line center and not a top 6 guy. Poitras at least has upside.

Yeah #51 has upside but he is 19 years old. Whether you or I like it or not Coyle is capable of giving you games where he plays well enough as your #2C. We saw it
in G3\G4 in last years PO.

I already have made it known IMO Coyle isn't a top 6 guy for an 82 game season, but
he'll absolutely give you 15-20 games where he can give you 2C results. As I said
in my prior post, SJ and Anaheim are teams #51 can slot in with #63 in top 6 but
LA is a team Coyle might be better suited for.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The old "I told you so" after 2 games re-hash thread. LOL The fact is Coyle is more than capable of playing top 6. Its early and the coach is trying stuff out.

I can't wait to see the new lines. Thinking this will work. Worth a shot to spread the offensive threats and defensive responsibilities all through the line up.

It's only 2 games and there is no guarantee any of the centers will stay in the top 6 in fact, Zacha may drop, Geekie and Fred may jump up, heck Beecher may have an opportunity. P bruins lurking.

Call it a work in progress. Fun to watch.

Last edited:

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
who had CC on pace for 75 pts by mid nov on their bingo card?
Not me Bruv,

Not me.

1699587107154.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great game from CC. Having himself a very solid year.

Coyle's doing a good job. Had a couple of games where he's been ineffective but for the most part he's been a solid contributor. Like most of the guys Monty's still trying to find the best fit for him, but the 'heavy' line with JvR and Freddie that he played with last night probably is the top pick, and he's done a decent job with Marchy and JdB too. Still not a genuine top 6 center in the conventional sense, but he's versatile and can play a role on both special teams, and with the way this team is shaping up, there's not really a true top 6 and bottom 6 as such, more a quite adaptable top 9 supported by a fairly typical gritty 4th line. And Coyle suits that kind of setup.

Good start, hope he keeps it up.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Coyle's doing a good job. Had a couple of games where he's been ineffective but for the most part he's been a solid contributor. Like most of the guys Monty's still trying to find the best fit for him, but the 'heavy' line with JvR and Freddie that he played with last night probably is the top pick, and he's done a decent job with Marchy and JdB too. Still not a genuine top 6 center in the conventional sense, but he's versatile and can play a role on both special teams, and with the way this team is shaping up, there's not really a true top 6 and bottom 6 as such, more a quite adaptable top 9 supported by a fairly typical gritty 4th line. And Coyle suits that kind of setup.

Great synopsis of the top 9.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

63-18-88
21-13-11
74-51-39

Replace Geekie with Heinen and that is the top 9 or should be the top 9 for the next 6-8
games.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

I disagree. I think coyle has been effective every game this season. Coyles game is very consistent. He isn’t a 30 goal scorer or an elite playmaker but he seems to win a lot of faceoffs and he is a puck hound. When he is on the ice I feel like Boston has possession of the puck most of the time.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I disagree. I think coyle has been effective every game this season. Coyles game is very consistent. He isn’t a 30 goal scorer or an elite playmaker but he seems to win a lot of faceoffs and he is a puck hound. When he is on the ice I feel like Boston has possession of the puck most of the time.
Agreed.

Coyle is a 1st line B center or a 2nd line A center or a 3rd line A+++ center. Folk calling him a perfect 3rd line center are right however he is more than fine playing 1st and 2nd line center.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I stand by what I said. Statistical evidence: first Ducks game in Anaheim, when Coyle was on the ice the Bruins were 3-12 in shot attempts, 2-6 in shots on target and scoring chances, 2-5 in high danger chances, and had just an 11% xGF%. Against the Panthers it was 7-17 in shot attempts, 2-8 in shots on target, 1-12 in scoring chances, 1-3 in high danger chances, and an 18% xGF%. In both cases, that's not a good night at the office. That's not to say he was useless in those games, or even outright bad. But effective, I would say not.

That's not meant as a criticism - most players are going to have their ups and downs and I'd agree that Coyle on the whole is a consistent player and as I already said he's had a very solid start to the season. But I don't think he's good in every single game.

Reactions: Gordoff

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This is Montgomery’s statement last night on Coyle’s performance. This is what I’ve consistently noticed with Coyle, he’s capable of more, he has that extra gear, he just doesn’t use that gear often enough. He sort of coasts some nights. Even coasting he’s effective, he’s good at the face of dot and defensively sound. He protects pucks in offensive zone. But when he hits that gear he’s really tough to stop.
1699660013847.jpeg

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
This is Montgomery’s statement last night on Coyle’s performance. This is what I’ve consistently noticed with Coyle, he’s capable of more, he has that extra gear, he just doesn’t use that gear often enough. He sort of coasts some nights. Even coasting he’s effective, he’s good at the face of dot and defensively sound. He protects pucks in offensive zone. But when he hits that gear he’s really tough to stop.
View attachment 766346
been the same story going back to minnesota. he can be as good as he wants to be.
but some think he's just a super nice guy that is a really good player, and that's what he'll be.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Coyle has blown away expectations so far but let's stay rational.

Before last night he was on pace for a 50ish point season which is pretty much what we were expecting.

Coyle isn't going to have too many 4 point nights.

Consider last night he added 50% to his production prior to last night.

I don't understand anyone calling him a 1C . The Bruins 1C plays with Pasta and Coyle hasn't seen much of Pasta on his line.

The JVR Coyle Tfred line needs to stay together. Hard line to deal with especially when you can follow with a Lucic Beecher Lauko line when everyone is healthy.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I read somewhere Coyle Zacha are outperforming Bergeron Krecji this time last season... with fewer games played. That's impressive. Trying to find the link and too lazy to check myself lol.

Reactions: hrdpuk

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I read somewhere Coyle Zacha are outperforming Bergeron Krecji this time last season... with fewer games played. That's impressive. Trying to find the link and too lazy to check myself lol.

Bergeron and Coyle had roughly the same production by G13 with each having 5G.
Thru G12 Bergeron had 4G and this year, Coyle 2G. Think they had roughly same # assists.

Reactions: The don godfather

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Putting Coyle on the bumper is a great idea. I always have seen him as Jason Allison w/o the hands.
same ability to hold the puck away from opponents. Maybe we will see him evolve into a 30/30 60pt guy with time on PP!.
I love the Coyle/JVR/Freddy line. Matches up with big D pairings very well. "If" JVR keeps up his play, his resigning is a no brainer(at the right price. >1M<4M/yr) Aside from net front presence, I didn't expect the setup vision from him as I saw him as a shoot 1st guy. Maybe it's the later in the career necessity to play a full game. Also stands up for his team mates . Better version of Uncle Nick.

Reactions: BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Putting Coyle on the bumper is a great idea. I always have seen him as Jason Allison w/o the hands.
same ability to hold the puck away from opponents. Maybe we will see him evolve into a 30/30 60pt guy with time on PP!.
I love the Coyle/JVR/Freddy line. Matches up with big D pairings very well. "If" JVR keeps up his play, his resigning is a no brainer(at the right price. >1M<4M/yr) Aside from net front presence, I didn't expect the setup vision from him as I saw him as a shoot 1st guy. Maybe it's the later in the career necessity to play a full game. Also stands up for his team mates . Better version of Uncle Nick.
[/QUOT

Foligno is doing pretty well playing with Bedard. He is pacing for 50+ point production at the moment. Not worth his contract at his age but you gotta give Foligno his due. 2nd straight productive season so far for him.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Reactions: Blowfish

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Well said. The guy does anything asked of him and never complains. Very much a leader for this team, as is Carlo.

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad