Confirmed with Link: Charles Hudon signed (1 year, $800,000)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Hudon ends up in Laval, he'll count as a veteran exempt. Meaning he played between 260-320 GP in NHL and AHL.

For those unaware, in the AHL, a team is allowed to ice 6 veterans in their line-up. 5 of them are veterans, who have played 320 games or more and 1 veteran who has played between 260 and 320 games (known as a veteran exempt). Hudon would count as a vet exempt. You can have as many vets as you want on your roster, but it's the amount you ice on any given night that counts.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This is what I meant. I thought the Canadiens would refuse to take the deal the arbitrator would've set (presumably around 1 and 1.2M).

Hudon and his agent would have to do one hell of a sell job for the arbitrator to award them $1M-$1.2M. But I get what you mean.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If and when he ends up on waivers, we`ll find out if he draws any interest around the league. A number of trades happen right after they clear too, when they become waiver exempt for awhile which increases their value.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Hudon has taken a lot of unnecessary crap from fans in the last year. The guy has been with the organisation for 7 years since his draft, hasn't jumped any stages with his 3 years in the AHL and had a very decent first season with 30 pts in 72 games.

Hudon needs to work on his skating and shooting but I always tough he had skills and I believe he can be an decent 3rd liner. It would be a shame to have developed a local talent to have him perform elsewhere and I am glad the Habs gave him kind of a last chance contract.

Reactions: Domi a favor

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Are you ready?

One man. One decision. One desire ...

Hugh Dawn. This summer ...

He knew ... too much.

He went ... too far.

In no man's land, you must fight to survive.

He wanted to get paid ... too much. And only AHL fans wanted in.

He had one chance and his chance was to arb back.

Benched in the NHL!

No trade interest!

They ... didn't know who he was ...

Hugh Dawn, to his agent: "Listen to me -- we have to get outta here!"

(Gunshots, explosions, slo-mo of Hugh Dawn filing for arb)

One man. One solution. One sandwich.

Hugh Dawn, this summer is ... 800K MAN.

Also featuring Marc Bergevin as "BargainBin". And Geoff Moneybags, his accomplice.

This summer ...

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Motivated like Tonya Harding......going to have to crack Weal and Cousins in the knees.
6245743690_b101ab56d7.jpg

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Hudon has taken a lot of unnecessary crap from fans in the last year. The guy has been with the organisation for 7 years since his draft, hasn't jumped any stages with his 3 years in the AHL and had a very decent first season with 30 pts in 72 games.

Hudon needs to work on his skating and shooting but I always tough he had skills and I believe he can be an decent 3rd liner. It would be a shame to have developed a local talent to have him perform elsewhere and I am glad the Habs gave him kind of a last chance contract.

If you still need to work on your skating and shot, after 7 years of being drafted, you have reached your ceiling in those departments.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So true...

MB says, you can never have too many bottom 6 players, this is why we need to have 12 of dem...

It’s quite puzzling that MB held on to Hudon despite last season and Hudon not fitting the fast paced game the Habs are now favouring.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What is there to not understand? He's signed to $100K more than NHL minimum. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, he'll get waived and play for Laval. It isn't like Molson is bleeding money and can't afford to pay the one way salary for a depth piece.

What is there not to understand? I don't understand giving a one-way contract to a player that has proven well beyond a reasonable doubt that he doesn't have the skating ability to be an NHL player. It's also abundantly clear that the man the organization is paying to coach the team doesn't feel he's a useful NHL player, and judging by last season acquisitions of players like Nate Thompson, Jordan Weal and Dale Weise, not to mention the off-season acquisition of Nick Cousins it doesn't appear the General Manager of the club thinks he's a useful NHL player either.

One way contracts are for people you strongly believe will play in the NHL. If there's anyone in the Canadiens front office that believes that Charles Hudon is that kind of player I would have grave grave concerns about their ability to gauge NHL talent.

That is what I don't understand. I don't understand it because it doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
To be honest, I thought he was filing for Arbitration in order to get to UFA status.

He probably was. But in his situation you can't ignore a one way contract. He would not get more money in Europe and there's absolutely no guarantee he would get at this point a one way offer from another NHL team. Maybe he got the guarantee he would be sent to Laval this time if he doesn't play and he's fine being paid 800 000 to play in laval while waiting for his UFA status to leave for Europe if he can't find a spot at the NHL level.

Reactions: MXD

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
WHY??? oh ya ..... a 4th line player.... a MB signing... or even a 5th line

If Montreal rolled five lines, Charles Hudon would still not be on the roster. I have been saying this now for years, and I can't believe it needs to be said: he cannot skate at the NHL level. Period.

In order to be an useful NHL player and skate as poorly as Charles Hudon does you need to have another skillset that is absolutely off the charts to even have a chance. He does not.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What is there not to understand? I don't understand giving a one-way contract to a player that has proven well beyond a reasonable doubt that he doesn't have the skating ability to be an NHL player. It's also abundantly clear that the man the organization is paying to coach the team doesn't feel he's a useful NHL player, and judging by last season acquisitions of players like Nate Thompson, Jordan Weal and Dale Weise, not to mention the off-season acquisition of Nick Cousins it doesn't appear the General Manager of the club thinks he's a useful NHL player either.

One way contracts are for people you strongly believe will play in the NHL. If there's anyone in the Canadiens front office that believes that Charles Hudon is that kind of player I would have grave grave concerns about their ability to gauge NHL talent.

That is what I don't understand. I don't understand it because it doesn't make any sense.

What do you care about Molson's money and how he spends it?

If he gets sent down it doesn't count against the cap......why would anyone give a ****???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad