Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's still too inconsistent for my liking but the talent is there so if he just just bringing it night in and night out ala Gally/Domi, he'll stick.

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
Hopefully what we saw last night with Hudon on the first line, was a look at the future. He was not out of place speed wise and his drive and passing were sublime. Now if he can get into the dirty areas like Gally and apply the finish he displayed at every other level, he could be along term solution on that line. The second line is very sound and the Finnish Connection may be more than we could have hoped for. From my perspective, Byron brings the defense/speed/scoring punch needed for the 4th line and in his absence I'd like to Sherbak given the opportunity to grow into that role. .... and now you know why I'm not behind the bench for this team.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Hopefully what we saw last night with Hudon on the first line, was a look at the future. He was not out of place speed wise and his drive and passing were sublime. Now if he can get into the dirty areas like Gally and apply the finish he displayed at every other level, he could be along term solution on that line. The second line is very sound and the Finnish Connection may be more than we could have hoped for. From my perspective, Byron brings the defense/speed/scoring punch needed for the 4th line and in his absence I'd like to Sherbak given the opportunity to grow into that role. .... and know you know why I'm not behind the bench for this team.

Yeah I don't really get people calling him slow, he wasn't out of the play. He's not Byron but it didn't seem to be a huge issue yesterday. He is very strong on his skates, helps him a lot one on one. For me his only issue at the moment is either his shot or his shot selection. He just doesn't seem to be able to beat goalies with it. To be seen!

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah I don't really get people calling him slow, he wasn't out of the play. He's not Byron but it didn't seem to be a huge issue yesterday. He is very strong on his skates, helps him a lot one on one. For me his only issue at the moment is either his shot or his shot selection. He just doesn't seem to be able to beat goalies with it. To be seen!
That's a matter of confidence and actual playing time allowing for the opportunities to improve and develop to appear in a real time offensive role.

Huds was never a player I had great expectations for but he has been winning me over. I'd like him to get the chance to have a real good look here. I think many will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 26Mats

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Like the play where he basically muscled past the guy to get to the net. He was even with the Defender but managed to still get past him and to the net and try a spinorama to score.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's still too inconsistent for my liking but the talent is there so if he just just bringing it night in and night out ala Gally/Domi, he'll stick.

imo, the way he can make that happen is to train like Gallagher does. When Gallagher first came into the league he was not only short but not that strong, and he was a little on the slow side. You can tell he's a gym rat, because now he's built like a tank and can generate a lot of speed in the neutral zone with his powerfull legs. If Hudon can make that physical transformation it will solidify him as a top 9 forward in the NHL.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I think Lehkonen is a little better all round, a little quicker although it's been a smaller knock on him that he had to get quicker for a player his size.
Not agree with you. I don't know why people are so high on lekhonen and so low on Hudon. But I really think that hudon is the better fit for this line. I like Lekhonen but I think that he don't bring much on the line. He's a good forechecker, can play long the board and he's reliable defensively but I think that offensively Lekhonen is to limited to compliment D&D. Hudon have the creativity to follow those guys,he have the skill set & he have a better hockey IQ than lekhonen. He put up points everywhere he played and he deserve to play with offensive player. Hudon can score,pass, create occasion by himself(put up near 30 pts with pleky) he just need to be trust for once. As for lekhonen I like what I see but I don't think he's a top6 forward yet. He,s good on defense, good forechecker but he really need hes shot to go in if he want to be view as a top 6 forward yet hes not able to beat goalie so hes just another 3 liner good forechecker that can play 2way.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not agree with you. I don't know why people are so high on lekhonen and so low on Hudon. But I really think that hudon is the better fit for this line. I like Lekhonen but I think that he don't bring much on the line. He's a good forechecker, can play long the board and he's reliable defensively but I think that offensively Lekhonen is to limited to compliment D&D. Hudon have the creativity to follow those guys,he have the skill set & he have a better hockey IQ than lekhonen. He put up points everywhere he played and he deserve to play with offensive player. Hudon can score,pass, create occasion by himself(put up near 30 pts with pleky) he just need to be trust for once. As for lekhonen I like what I see but I don't think he's a top6 forward yet. He,s good on defense, good forechecker but he really need hes shot to go in if he want to be view as a top 6 forward yet hes not able to beat goalie so hes just another 3 liner good forechecker that can play 2way.

You are right that Lehkonen is a good third liner at this stage.

Hudon is a good fifth liner, who can step in for an injury. He is so slow that he has a crazy move that has worked twice - the opponent is catching up to you very fast so you SLOW DOWN some more to let the opponent slide by and then you can spin in alone!!! (EDIT: Note I never said this is his ONLY move, just that he has done it twice in the past month).

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
imo, the way he can make that happen is to train like Gallagher does. When Gallagher first came into the league he was not only short but not that strong, and he was a little on the slow side. You can tell he's a gym rat, because now he's built like a tank and can generate a lot of speed in the neutral zone with his powerfull legs. If Hudon can make that physical transformation it will solidify him as a top 9 forward in the NHL.

Gally always seems to get faster and faster where he used to be slow but now I think his skating's an asset. It's still not elite but it's good enough.

Reactions: 26Mats

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Hudon would be a PPG player if he had Drouin's skillset. He's got the brain, but lacks the tools. I feel like he needs to be more of an East-West guy to have success in the NHL, cause him shooting from everywhere as he did last year isn't going to cut it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Hudon is a good fifth liner, who can step in for an injury. He is so slow that he has a crazy move that has worked twice - the opponent is catching up to you very fast so you SLOW DOWN some more to let the opponent slide by and then you can spin in alone!!!
I don't think he's slow. I haven't watched many games this year, just a couple and some intances, but from what I've seen, he's not slow.
However, my thought of him since day one is 3rd liner at best and even that seems like a stretch for now.
I think he can make a career as a 4th liner if he focuses on excelling his defensive game, that can jump in when injuries occur to the 3rd line.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal

Hudon is a good fifth liner, who can step in for an injury. He is so slow that he has a crazy move that has worked twice - the opponent is catching up to you very fast so you SLOW DOWN some more to let the opponent slide by and then you can spin in alone!!!
Hahah go watch baseball or sun coach. Being speedy doesn't mean your a good hockey player. Just for example hudon bring so much more then Peca. If you truly thing Hudon only have one move then you must not watch the game as we do or you must not know what an intelligent hockey player look like. He's not slow but he's not fast. Hes able to be ahead of the play not because of his skating, but because of his IQ. That's how,despite being"slow" hes able to create chance for himself and hes team mate. I shouldn't even respond your clearly don't know what attributes make a good player.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't think he's slow. I haven't watched many games this year, just a couple and some intances, but from what I've seen, he's not slow.
However, my thought of him since day one is 3rd liner at best and even that seems like a stretch for now.
I think he can make a career as a 4th liner if he focuses on excelling his defensive game, that can jump in when injuries occur to the 3rd line.
Of course all NHLers are fast compared to you me, but if you put him and Peca in a 180 foot race from goal line to goal line, Peca might win by 25 feet, reaching the goal line while Hudon will probably not be at the faceoff dot yet.

That being said, I prefer Hudon to Peca. The latter is fast, but doesn't have Hudon's hands or nose for the net. Both are fifth liners because they do't have enough jam in their game to be on the fourth line, so they are replacement level players for a second or third line injury.

But Hudon is better overall despite his way below average NHL foot-speed.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Of course all NHLers are fast compared to you me, but if you put him and Peca in a 180 foot race from goal line to goal line, Peca might win by 25 feet, reaching the goal line while Hudon will probably not be at the faceoff dot yet.
Wow what a great hockey player is peca then impressive lol. Speed is one think. But when you entered in the ozone it's all about pace,about winning battle,about strength,about IQ, about good play selection and Hudon is way better in all of the above

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That being said, I prefer Hudon to Peca. The latter is fast, but doesn't have Hudon's hands or nose for the net. Both are fifth liners because they do't have enough jam in their game to be on the fourth line, so they are replacement level players for a second or third line injury.

Would he? Did Peca even play a game yet? :sarcasm:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hudon would be a PPG player if he had Drouin's skillset. He's got the brain, but lacks the tools. I feel like he needs to be more of an East-West guy to have success in the NHL, cause him shooting from everywhere as he did last year isn't going to cut it.

He's got the tools too he just lacks the speed. He doesn't have Drouin's tools but they're there. I think he deserves a real shot. I'm 60/40 that he can make good on a proper scoring line.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
He's got the tools too he just lacks the speed. He doesn't have Drouin's tools but they're there. I think he deserves a real shot. I'm 60/40 that he can make good on a proper scoring line.
He doesn't have the tool that drouins have but I always been high on him and he always been able to put up points everywhere. Yes he don't have the speed nor tool but he have tool to be a good offensive player I personally think that hes taking better decision with the puck then a lot of player that's why he can put up points.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I like him... he battle hard and he has a good vision, but like some other one said his speed is an issue. Every time I see an undersized forward who's not a good skater, I think of Desharnais... fortunately, Hudon is not placed in the same spot as Desharnais. He can replace from time to time on the top 6, but I like him better on the 3rd or even the 4th line.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Hudon has all the tools except skating

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Peca is definitely above average fast in the nhl. Probably even elite fast.
Hudon is average in terms of speed.
Alzner and King are below average.

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
I was at the game yesterday and sadly, a came to the conclusion that Hudon doesnt
have the speed to be a very good player. Usefull yes. But something is lacking. He is often second on the puck. It was obvious. Still i want him to succeed and prove me wrong.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
So y'all really gonna bash hudon because of his speed ? Hes a sophomore and hes speed will increase as he will work on it and put strength on his legs. But at hes first nhl season he got 10 20 for 30 pts in a mediocre team averaging 14min toi with plekanec against one of the 2 best line opposition every night. Hes definitely able to be at least a 40-50 pts player in that league stop it with that 4th line forward bs

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad