Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hudon is going to prove a lot of people wrong this year and Vegas is going to regret not picking him up IMO. Let's hope he stays healthy. That's really my only concern. He did get injured last year when he was called up too. He might of stayed with the Habs if he didn't get hurt. Seems like he's going to have a shot at top 9 minutes and playing time with Pleky. We need scoring from the bottom 6!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we'll see how the preseason goes for him, I seem to recall last year he struggled a bit in the preseason. Have always been a big fan, the skill and IQ are there for sure, but it's the lack of strength, speed, skating and size that have people questioning if he can be an effective NHLer or not. I think with his smarts and skills he can overcome the rest but we'll need to see if he can do enough to earn a full time spot and then we'll need to see what he does with it if so.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
we'll see how the preseason goes for him, I seem to recall last year he struggled a bit in the preseason. Have always been a big fan, the skill and IQ are there for sure, but it's the lack of strength, speed, skating and size that have people questioning if he can be an effective NHLer or not. I think with his smarts and skills he can overcome the rest but we'll need to see if he can do enough to earn a full time spot and then we'll need to see what he does with it if so.

He is similar to Claude Giroux in that regard. Giroux was never the biggest , strongest or fastest guy out there but he made up for it by having tremendous skill , IQ , vision and playmaking ability. I see Hudon as being in the same mold.

Now im not saying Hudon will be as good or has Giroux upside but they both share the same strengths and weaknesses. If Hudon can do like CR and overcome his weaknesses by compensating with his strengths they we're goig to be in business.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He is similar to Claude Giroux in that regard. Giroux was never the biggest , strongest or fastest guy out there but he made up for it by having tremendous skill , IQ , vision and playmaking ability. I see Hudon as being in the same mold.

Now im not saying Hudon will be as good or has Giroux upside but they both share the same strengths and weaknesses. If Hudon can do like CR and overcome his weaknesses by compensating with his strengths they we're goig to be in business.

it's an interesting comp, as a poor mans Giroux if he can overcome his lack of physical tools. I know in the AHL he's been our best player every year and has been just a treat to watch.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

You saved yourself some embarrassment by qualifying your praise.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

And they are both French Quebeckers, too! Hope springs eternal. Giroux was one of the top players in the NHL for a while. If Hudon is anything like him it will be great. Another guy fitting the mold you described is Deharnais, fyi.

Btw, I hope Hudon turns some heads. We will see.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
And they are both French Quebeckers, too! Hope springs eternal. Giroux was one of the top players in the NHL for a while. If Hudon is anything like him it will be great. Another guy fitting the mold you described is Deharnais, fyi.

G is from Hearst Ontario I'm pretty sure. Its entirely French up there though.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Ask Robitaille how being slower hinders success...

Today's game is very different than previously, that's what many don't get when bring up old examples. Speed is the way of the modern nhl, look at who's thriving in terms of production, this will tell you all you need to know.

That being said I hope Hudon ends up getting more than a cup coffee at the NHL level. He certainly has NHL determination and talent.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Today's game is very different than previously, that's what many don't get when bring up old examples. Speed is the way of the modern nhl, look at who's thriving in terms of production, this will tell you all you need to know.

That being said I hope Hudon ends up getting more than a cup coffee at the NHL level. He certainly has NHL determination and talent.

Speed is one good thing a NHL player should have but there is other qualities that count. Like decision taking, vision of the play, determination, shooting skills and precision of the passes. After reading a lot about Hudon I think it's time to watch him in real NHL hockey situations.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm predicting a 120pt season for Hudon...rookie of the year

It's nonsense like this that brings the haters out. You are underrating him... 216pts, Calder, Hart and Vezina.

In all seriousness, I have high hopes for him and hope he can chip in 40pts and resurrect Plekanec. I also hope, assuming this line stays intact, Hudon's develops great chemistry with Lehkonen.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Speed is one good thing a NHL player should have but there is other qualities that count. Like decision taking, vision of the play, determination, shooting skills and precision of the passes. After reading a lot about Hudon I think it's time to watch him in real NHL hockey situations.

I never said the contrary , the post I was replying too made it seem like speed wasn't a factor because guys like Robitaille had great careers.
I am of the opinion that many strong players wouldn't do well in today's NHL as the game is faster than it's ever been. Doesn't mean a player that has mediocre foot speed can't have success it's just less likely. Players with elite speed always stood out to me but in previous generations of the NHL , big players were able to get away with pretty much murder. We are now in the era where the game emphasizes speed and skill to the point where the some types of players have little to no place in the NHL (Enforcers/Grinders/energy players with little skill).

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Except Giroux is from Hearst Ontario.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ask Robitaille how being slower hinders success...

Ask one of the top 5 forwards of all time if he's fast enough to earn an NHL contract this year...

Granted, that's not the best comparison as Jagr's recovery time and speed are deteriorating.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada

Ask any scout what they or their organization value the most nowadays and 99% will reply skating & hockey sense. The combination of the two is extremely important in today's game. Hudon has a high level of IQ no doubt about it, but his skating may hinder his chances of keeping up with the pace of the game on a nightly basis. But he definitely deserves a chance and I'll gladly eat crow if the kid can prove me wrong :nod:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Im just happy to finally see a couple of intelligent playmakers on this team. I think Hudon and Drouin are going to be those guys. Thats what we've been lacking really. Toi many one dimensional forwards with no idea what to do with the puck. The only creative guy was Radulov. You can go down the list of forwards and they allmost all lack creativity and smarts. Good supporting cast though, so im hopeful that a couple creative playmakers can change this offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad