Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure I agree that he can make some great offensive plays. Doesn't mean he's one of their top 200 feet workers.

Last year, early on... Yes.
But not anymore.

Yes, he's not one of their top 200 feet workers. And that's a problem for him.

He is one of the hardest workers when it comes to mental toughness and fighting to create scoring chances. He beats every forward except for Domi and Gallagher in that category. Tatar is in the same tier. Lehkonen Byron, and Danault are in the next tier.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Hudon doesn't produce, he'll be out of the top 9 when Byron comes back.

Even if he does produce, it's hard to see Julien taking anyone else out, although I'd take Armia out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
trade incoming
hudon will be better elsewhere

what are we getting in return?

I think it's better to keep him on the 4th line, if he ends up not being able to produce in the top 9. He adds a spark to the 4th line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed but completely different players. Hudon is either top 6 or bust, he is ineffective on a 4th line

I liked the spark the 4th line had when it was Hudon-Plekanec-Peca or Hudon-Peca-Shaw.

I want a 4th line that can put some offensive pressure on and be responsible defensively.

If Deslauriers can play the way he played the 2nd half of the game, maybe Hudon-Peca-Deslauriers will do well. But having both of Hudon and Deslauriers on a line may make it too slow.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They should at least try Hudon Peca Scherbak to see what it can do. I don't expect Julien to do it, but it would at least be fun to see how they would fair as Hudon/Scherbak played well together in the AHL even though it took the coach over half the season to figure out that he should put his best playmaker with his best sniper. Peca would bring the speed and effort to help off-set that from the 2 wingers.

Reactions: Tyson and yianik

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They should at least try Hudon Peca Scherbak to see what it can do. I don't expect Julien to do it, but it would at least be fun to see how they would fair as Hudon/Scherbak played well together in the AHL even though it took the coach over half the season to figure out that he should put his best playmaker with his best sniper. Peca would bring the speed and effort to help off-set that from the 2 wingers.

Trying that line will plunge the team into an abyss from which it will never be able to recover.
.......................................Claude Julien

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like Hudon and I think he could be a top 9 NHLer if he figures out how to stop taking bad penalties and play a consistently sound defensive game. IMO those are the two bottle necks that are holding Hudon back from getting larger minutes consistently at this point.

Reactions: Fixxer

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I'm not sure what Julien is waiting for.

Tatar - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Danault - Hudon

I think that's a terrible idea.

Domi/Drouin are developing an incredible chemistry and are one player away from being a legit quality first line. They're making it happen with (in spite of) Charlie Hudon!

Danault's line is quietly having a great season so far, usually getting the toughest assignments, shutting down elite players while sneaking up some points occasionally. When you have three players who accept these unglamorous assignments and make it happen with a smile, you keep 'em.

And the Finnish line is low-key magic on top of being great for Kotkaniami's development.

The line combinations aren't the problem. Hudon is a courageous player with moderate talent and subpar athleticism. Maybe he can get a little better but it's certainly not happening now. He's a spare part who should be fighting for a 4th line assignment, but injuries and the chemistry of two other lines have given him a chance with Domi's line. Charles seems like an awesome person with an enormous heart who is in over his head right now.

I'm also starting to think he is being showcased for a trade.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I liked the spark the 4th line had when it was Hudon-Plekanec-Peca or Hudon-Peca-Shaw.

I want a 4th line that can put some offensive pressure on and be responsible defensively.

If Deslauriers can play the way he played the 2nd half of the game, maybe Hudon-Peca-Deslauriers will do well. But having both of Hudon and Deslauriers on a line may make it too slow.

Deslauriers is actually fast, not slow. But he is not quick with puck movement on the offensive side.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I've been strongly advocating Hudon getting a top 9 role. He has the skill, the smarts and the work ethic. But I will admit he was brutal last night. Get him off the Domi-Drouin line and try him somewhere else. He still deserves a roster spot over bums like Deslauriers and Shaw, though.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think that's a terrible idea.

Domi/Drouin are developing an incredible chemistry and are one player away from being a legit quality first line. They're making it happen with (in spite of) Charlie Hudon!

Danault's line is quietly having a great season so far, usually getting the toughest assignments, shutting down elite players while sneaking up some points occasionally. When you have three players who accept these unglamorous assignments and make it happen with a smile, you keep 'em.

And the Finnish line is low-key magic on top of being great for Kotkaniami's development.

The line combinations aren't the problem. Hudon is a courageous player with moderate talent and subpar athleticism. Maybe he can get a little better but it's certainly not happening now. He's a spare part who should be fighting for a 4th line assignment, but injuries and the chemistry of two other lines have given him a chance with Domi's line. Charles seems like an awesome person with an enormous heart who is in over his head right now.

I'm also starting to think he is being showcased for a trade.

Trade, potentially.

I would just try these lines in the eventually that Danault frees Drouin and Hudon to play a more aggressive game. Domi can play with Gallagher and Tatar without problem imo. I don't think Drouin and Domi have great chemistry at all, Domi is just a good player who will pounce on his opportunities. He would get more of these with Tatar and Gallagher...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I've been strongly advocating Hudon getting a top 9 role. He has the skill, the smarts and the work ethic. But I will admit he was brutal last night. Get him off the Domi-Drouin line and try him somewhere else. He still deserves a roster spot over bums like Deslauriers and Shaw, though.

at the very least right now, Hudon adds an important offensive spark to the 4th line.

His lack of foot speed will always be a problem. But, the Domi-Drouin line has at least often been dangerous with him on it. It was often really stagnant with Armia on it. I'm fine with ending the experiment now, but also ok with seeing if they can start to convert the chances he's been creating. Last night was his least dangerous offensively. I'm also going to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as being able to control his stick and not get penalties.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
The guy is a loser out there. Zero intelligence on the ice or intensity. My most hated player on the team by far. He never does anything!!!!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The guy is a loser out there. Zero intelligence on the ice or intensity. My most hated player on the team by far. He never does anything!!!!
He was decent against the Caps but last two games he struggled... I still think he can be useful. The first line is probably too much for him at this moment.

Reactions: gillyguzzler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad