GWT: Champions League Quarterfinals Reaction

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I still can't believe Spurs are in the semis of the CL before Pep could take any team sans Messi to the final (and hasn't made the semis with City even with somewhat favourable draws in Spurs and Monaco) despite his outlay, the level of the teams he's been coaching, and their domestic dominance.

EDIT: Forgot that he did make the semis with Bayern each time. My b. I was thinking of his lack of finals streak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouchkine

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I still can't believe Spurs are in the semis of the CL before Pep could take any team sans Messi there, despite his outlay, the level of the teams he's been coaching, and their domestic dominance.

He was in the semis in all of his years with Bayern. Just seems to be a mentality issue with this City side in the CL, the 1st leg vs Spurs being a good example

Reactions: les Habs

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He was in the semis in all of his years with Bayern. Just seems to be a mentality issue with this City side in the CL
Yeah I got it mixed up when I was thinking about his European 'failure' and checked myself. Still, pretty disappointing European results in general since he left Barcelona, although obviously making the final is not easy.

Reactions: Pouchkine

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
4 games vs. Porto will do that.
What about his goals against City (both legs), Roma (both legs), Real Madrid (final) and Bayern (away)? I know nobody else has ever had to play against 'lesser' teams though, so that probably skews it totally in Mane's favour.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mane hasn't played in L1 in 7 years; not really sure that can be used as a benchmark.
Well, hopefully it isn't used as a benchmark given Mane's "performances". And in fact he didn't even play in L1 (L2 and National).

Anyway, Pepe is better IMO, and Savant can think it's ridiculous, it's not.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, hopefully it isn't used as a benchmark given Mane's "performances". And in fact he didn't even play in L1 (L2 and National).

I think Pepe is great, and I would love to have him on Liverpool. But I don’t think he has proven to be in Mane’s league, YET.

Which is fine

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think Pepe is great, and I would love to have him on Liverpool. But I don’t think he has proven to be in Mane’s league, YET.

Which is fine
Well obviously he hasn't proven yet. Guess what, VVD hadn't proven to be in Sakho's league two/three years ago either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well obviously he hasn't proven yet. Guess what, VVD hadn't proven to be in Sakho's league two/three years ago either.
I mean, everyone thought Kovacic was great despite small sample size and he is average. It goes both ways.

Also, out of curiosity can Pepe play LW? Not relevant to the better than debate, but want to know

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
4 games vs. Porto will do that.

So?

The 'quality of competition' argument is completely redundant when you're referring to clubs in the CL knockout stages. Even the weakest teams you encounter at that level are still very good. It's an overused argument in general, apparently there's only about five teams in the world worth scoring against.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I didn't check what league it was in since you said they both came up in L1, but the point is the same.

I don't know if Pepe is better or not. If he's better he's one helluva player, because Mane right now is absolutely elite. Not just for his offensive involvement either; he's an incredibly hard worker all over the field. Pepe looks really good though and I rate him quite highly from what I've seen (as you know). I'd be happy to have both at Liverpool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad