GWT: Champions League Quarterfinals Reaction

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Messi is obviously the best player on either team...but there are so many players on both teams this will apply to. Can't wait for it.

Not in the same way. Sure any player on that level can have a fantastic game, but no-one can completely dominate a game like Messi.

I think Liverpool are set up well to deal with Messi though. And the "no fear" kind of defending seems to generally be the best way to deal with Barcelona (even if Mourinho with Inter won in a different way - arguably also AM).

Just hoping the front 3 stay fit for Liverpool. Lose one and the tie is almost over.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I cannot believe Spurs pulled that off.

City fans will be happy with the double it equals the League Cup and Fa cup.....right? :p

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, Spursy moments saved for later match.

This might be bad for them regarding the league, losing even two games there could mean dropping out of top four. And if either Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europe league, they might need the 3rd place or winning the CL league to qualify for next year's edition. Although Man Utd and Chelsea facing each other helps a lot.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Spurs will not offer much of a game this weekend at least. More injuries. No depth. And emotionally empty after tonight. That should help City getting back on track (if they are ever really off).

I'd suspect they're sick and tired of playing against the Spurs right now too, even if they remain the favorites even so.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
So, Spursy moments saved for later match.
the classic Spurs move here would be falling to 5th place a week and a half before losing the CL Finals
this team tho...seems a bit more resilient than other Spurs teams, maybe because they've spur'ed it up before

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs will definitely offer a game, they have to get a point at any cost. They already just toppled City twice. The mental warfare is strong at that point, I think everyone massively underestimates how much of the game is mental. City had better technical quality all over the field and continued to give up goals anyway. There's no logic to these things. City also has to win and could capitulate under some pressure. Spurs is lucky in that they don't have to be frantic, City also has to beat them and force things themselves. The FA did neither team any favors with the fixture list, they get to play the early game on Saturday.

Good comparison is when Liverpool beat City in the league last year. What happened when they played the next time?

What a season though. Some totally ridiculous shit happening the last few months.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I guess I missed a wild one damn caught parts of it though. Not the good ones. Looks like Laporte picked the absolute best time to play like Phil jones lol. From the highlighted he was on scene to pretty much everything wrong with City defending.

Var for me did its job. Although, that handball is borderline. It wasn't a penalty for me. Super close though and could've easily been given.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Spurs will definitely offer a game, they have to get a point at any cost. They already just toppled City twice. The mental warfare is strong at that point, I think everyone massively underestimates how much of the game is mental. City had better technical quality all over the field and continued to give up goals anyway. There's no logic to these things. City also has to win and could capitulate under some pressure. Spurs is lucky in that they don't have to be frantic, City also has to beat them and force things themselves. The FA did neither team any favors with the fixture list, they get to play the early game on Saturday.

Good comparison is when Liverpool beat City in the league last year. What happened when they played the next time?

What a season though. Some totally ridiculous **** happening the last few months.

Well City won the match today, so not twice really.

And the ball definitely went off Llorente's arm.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well City won the match today, so not twice really.

And the ball definitely went off Llorente's arm.

I'm sure City feel that they won with their players collapsed on the pitch and all that.

As far as the handball goes, I swear to f*** some of you need to learn the rules. They do change next year to where the goal would be disallowed, but for now...

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

The referee must take the following into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) - no movement in this case. Certainly not deliberate as his hand was where it should have been when he jumped. Good goal.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm sure City feel that they won with their players collapsed on the pitch and all that.

As far as the handball goes, I swear to **** some of you need to learn the rules. They do change next year to where the goal would be disallowed, but for now...

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

The referee must take the following into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand) - no movement in this case. Certainly not deliberate as his hand was where it should have been when he jumped. Good goal.

I'm not saying City feels like they won today, but they did outscore Spurs. If they do it again this weekend, they get 3 points. Spurs didn't beat them twice was all I'm getting at.

And I didn't say it should be called a handball under the rules (though I think it should be and clearly they are changing the rule), but some people are denying it even hit his hand/arm. It clearly went off of his arm first.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, it clearly hit his arm. I think changing the rule is actually going to be a disaster. I remember Suarez kicking the ball straight into defender's hands, is that always going to be a penalty now? If so, that's so stupid.

Reactions: Havre and Pouchkine

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yeah, it clearly hit his arm. I think changing the rule is actually going to be a disaster. I remember Suarez kicking the ball straight into defender's hands, is that always going to be a penalty now? If so, that's so stupid.

It didn't sound to me like the rule was changing that way, but I admittedly haven't read much on it. I took it as they were only calling "automatic" handballs to disallow goals if the ball hits the attacking player's hand to score. If they start calling every handball on defending players, then that's ridiculous.

Reactions: Pouchkine

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Also, I'm not understanding all of the Poch love after the game today. Spurs conceded 4 goals and they only scored their goals off of 2 bad defensive errors (which Son did score great goals from) and a corner that hit Llorente's hand. They really didn't play that well today, and will likely end up trophy-less again. It's just like Man United supporters fan boying over Ole after they beat PSG on 2 errors and a BS penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->