Champions League Game Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Spurs won this game by two goals, so if Dortmund win at home, we are talking about even on points, before you consider the other results, and the goal differential between those two matches would be no better for Spurs than winning by one, could even be tied or in Dortmund's favor, depending on the result, so if you thought Dortmund was the better team coming in, I don't know why you wouldn't still select them to advance, unless you think this result changes who the better team is due to what transpired on the field. Over the remaining four matches those two teams play against other teams in the group, you would think the better team would get more points. So if you thought that was Dortmund, why wouldn't you think they'd advance? Spurs held their serve, that in itself doesn't decide the group, it just puts more pressure on Dortmund to hold theirs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is great, you are so rigid in your responses. When its that obvious, its not even a good defense, everyone knows what you are trying to do. Asking for exact quotes is just a conversation ender. I didn't say those were exact quotes, but through your posts, I pick up on things. People pick up on the opinions of others, thats how it works. You don't need to outright state something to make someone have an opinion about your opinion on a certain topic. So when you talk about liking Harit in a discussion about Pulisic, but not thinking he's in the same class as Dembele or Brandt, you are making someone think that you think similar things of Pulisic. If thats not what you mean when you say that, then you should specify because it seems abundantly clear you are putting Pulisic in a tier of good players, but not the top class players. And by using Harit as an example, it makes me think you think he's of a similar level to Pulisic, since you are putting them in the same tier with that comparison. You distorted my opinion from the discussion last year about Dembele and Pulisic. You brought that up again today, as if you were giving an accurate accounting of what was said. If you had thought that I was outright claiming Pulisic is a better player, you are wrong, and that record can be set straight. I have continually said that its too hard to judge who will be the better footballer, there are a number of factors at play in making that assessment, and I don't think its obvious yet who will be the better player. Somehow, you have asserted that Dembele is better with nothing to really back up what you said, which is why I bring up your bias.

You sound like a Leaf fan saying that Matthews is clearly so much better than Laine because you said so, not because of real reasons put forth. I would say that Dembele has more of a creative side to his game than Pulisic, but he's also way more mistake prone than Pulisic. Hypothetically, he does have more upside, but probably a lesser floor. In the end of all of this, no one's opinion of their skill-set will matter, the better player will be the "winner" of this discussion, and that'll be that. Both are very good, the ability to maximize their talent or not maximize it will determine who's better. But lets remember how this conversation today started. You were the one who got angry that people were talking about Pulisic's play. He pretty inarguably had a good match, and has had a really good start to the season. Is he as good as Reus at this point? Probably not, but that wasn't what you wanted to talk about, you barged in with some off topic rant against Pulisic. Where is my rant against Dembele? Its not there because there's no reason for me to have one. He's a very good player and I like his game. I prefer the player from my country, so I'm going to back him up when you come in here to make a case against him, but I don't have so much bias in this discussion that I can't recognize the proper level of another player, which is what you are struggling with here. You are so biased in thinking Dembele is so much better that you are lowering Pulisic's place in the sport to a level that I don't think anyone would agree with. If thats not your perspective, speak up, but thats certainly how it seems. Maybe I can ask a follow up question just to see if my read on your opinion is correct. Where would you rank Pulisic in terms of all these young players? Is he on par with Amine Harit or is he near the top?

So yeah you make up things. I named Harit because of personnal perference and a guy from my country, period. I never compared him to Pulisic.
So baiscally I brought up Pulisic in this thread? Really? :laugh:
AFTER someone said he was as good (or even better?) as Reus (can you say I'm biased here?) did I come and say he was highly overrated by some. Again when some rate him as equal to Reus, YES he is overrated.

As for my view on Pulisic, it's quite something, you continue to say I lowered him to some crappy player, which is something I never did. But since I said Dembele was a big notch above him, you continue to make up things. Sad. And concerning for your health.

If you want my view, than ask. Don't pretend to know.
I think Pulisic is one of the brightest young players in Europe. He's doing a lot of things well for a guy his age. He could develop into a prime league player, someone in the top 10, even top 5 in his league. Dembele could develop into top 5 in the sport. See the difference?

What's the most disheartning thing is that you had the joy of having a one in a decade (and I'm being generous) talent playing for your team, someone who doesn't come around often (like Mbappe, Messi, Neymar, etc... someone with Ballon d'Or potential) and yet you have continued to underrate him, naming him as "equal" to Pulisic or even Mor.
There's a clear lack of understanding of football and an inability to properly evaluate football talent here.
And to think YOU call my biased because of nationality here... :facepalm:

Shame.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BTW, I projected Mor to a guy like Boufal in that thread over a year ago.
Seems I was the one closest to a good evaluation. Shame on you the BVB fan to put him on Dembele's level. One signed with Vigo for 13M, the other with Barca for 150.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think people are way too eager to overrate young players in general these days. At the risk of making everyone mad, other than Mbappe, Asensio, Alli, and Dembele I'm not seeing any reason to overrate any other young player until they do something to show that they really are that good. And it's not only one game that's going to show me someone is that good.

Ronaldo and Owen were winning golden boots before they turned 21. And other than Mbappe who could also do that, and Dembele/Alli/Asensio who could possibly be league top player right now in any league except the best two, there is no reason whatsoever to be overrating these kids.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow. This thread took off today. Since it's so busy, I'll just post this here. When is the Transfers thread going to be re-opened?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I do what I can. I had really missed the excuses BVB fans make for why they didn't advance in the CL again even though they by rights should have

Who said anything about not advancing lol. Calm down.

I think people are way too eager to overrate young players in general these days. At the risk of making everyone mad, other than Mbappe, Asensio, Alli, and Dembele I'm not seeing any reason to overrate any other young player until they do something to show that they really are that good. And it's not only one game that's going to show me someone is that good.

Ronaldo and Owen were winning golden boots before they turned 21. And other than Mbappe who could also do that, and Dembele/Alli/Asensio who could possibly be league top player right now in any league except the best two, there is no reason whatsoever to be overrating these kids.

Alli??? lol zero chance Alli is better than the best Bundesliga player, if that's what you mean. Asensio neither.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, Alli and Asensio aren't that good. My bad there. Neither is Dembele. But I did mean in the context of winning player of the year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
To be honest, Mbappe has outplayed Neymar so far with PSG (since the two have played together).
It's absolutely amazing to see. And they seem to get along extremely well. Neymar will win player of the year just because, but I think many will deem Mbappe as having the better season next june.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You idiotic biased german fan !!!! How dare you???

He's also the guy that said Mor would be better than Pulisic if all three reach their ceiling. Doesn't seem like such a good prediction right about now.

And you are taking this way too seriously. Because I disagree with you I have mental health problems? Come on, this is a ****ing message board, thats pathetic.

We don't need to keep this discussion going, but your hypothesis that Pulisic could be top 10 or 5 in his league at his best is ridiculous. If he has the season most expect this season, he'll be top 10 or top 5 in the Bundesliga at age 18/19, so thats just what I mean about your opinions about Pulisic, but we don't have to keep this discussion going.

You better be right about this because you seem so sure about it, could look like a really bad prediction eventually.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wow, you REALLY have problems. You keep on making some stuff up. Because you disagree with me?
NO, read again. Because you simply invent stuff like that. You invent posts I never made.

So, what's your prediction for Pulisic then? If top 5 in the Bundesliga isn't enough, what's your projection? Top 5 in football?
Please let us know.
And remember, you better be right beause you're so sure of yourself. You could look really bad... :sarcasm:

Jan 3, 2012
Wow, you REALLY have problems. You keep on making some stuff up. Because you disagree with me?
NO, read again. Because you simply invent stuff like that. You invent posts I never made.

So, what's your prediction for Pulisic then? If top 5 in the Bundesliga isn't enough, what's your projection? Top 5 in football?
Please let us know.
And remember, you better be right beause you're so sure of yourself. You could look really bad... :sarcasm:

Pulisic will be a top 5 player in the NBA by the end of this season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think that Pulisic being top 5 in the BuLi at his best is a terrible prediction. That doesn't mean he couldn't be the best player; the best player is still in the top 5. That said there are more talented players in the league, and development is not linear. Different positions also tend to develop at different ages. Forwards tend to come to the fore earlier, while midfielders generally take more time and defenders tend to peak even later than that along with keepers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Please let us know.

I don't know, hard to say, Pulisic is safely a top five U20 in the world right now, so sure, there's a chance he could be top 5 in football. I don't know why you seem so sure about how their careers will go, I'm not, these players we are discussing aren't even close to their prime, so I think its a very hard to predict, but maybe I just have problems. :laugh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Pulisic isn't a top 10 player in the Bundesliga yet. There's nothing wrong with peaking as a top 5 player in the Bundesliga, either. There are some fantastic players in Germany: just look at Bayern's squad.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't know, hard to say, Pulisic is safely a top five U20 in the world right now, so sure, there's a chance he could be top 5 in football. I don't know why you seem so sure about how their careers will go, I'm not, these players we are discussing aren't even close to their prime, so I think its a very hard to predict, but maybe I just have problems. :laugh:

Are you sure about that? There are a lot of really good u20 players in the world.

Mbappe, Dembele, Jesus, Donnarumma, Tielemans, Rashford, Guedes, Diawara, Iheanacho, Malcom, Roberts, Havertz, Ascacibar, Eggestein, van de Beek, Woodburn, Valverde etc. etc. (I'm probably missing/forgetting some big ones)

Watching Pulisic and Dembele both play I don't think it's hard to see that Dembele is better and more talented.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Are you sure about that? There are a lot of really good u20 players in the world.

Mbappe, Dembele, Jesus, Donnarumma, Tielemans, Rashford, Guedes, Diawara, Iheanacho, Malcom, Roberts, Havertz, Ascacibar, Eggestein, van de Beek, Woodburn, Valverde etc. etc. (I'm probably missing/forgetting some big ones)

Watching Pulisic and Dembele both play I don't think it's hard to see that Dembele is better and more talented.

Many of the players you've listed haven't proved much yet.

There is a solid argument to be made he's top 5. If not surely top 7.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah, Pulisic is definitely better than a ton of the players you listed, Curt. I'm not certain he's top 5, but there's definitely a strong argument for it.

Also, Dembele is easily better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

The only players I am definitely taking over Pulisic on that list are Mbappe, Dembele & Jesus. Donnarumma is a keeper so I'm not going to make that comparison but obviously I'd take him too. Pulisic and Rashford is an interesting debate. Would probably take Pulisic there but it's very hard not to be biased.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Embolo is probably the best U20 in Bundesliga currently, Pulisic could be the second. Although even in Dortmund I'd consider Isak more talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad