Champions Hockey League opens in August 2014 [without KHL Teams]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I couldn't care less about this tournament but will watch if Finnish team makes the Final though.

This is important to bring up. Specially the not care part.:sarcasm: Or at least it is in fashion.

Last edited:

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
I couldn't care less about this tournament but will watch if Finnish team makes the Final though.

This is important to bring up. Specially the not care part.:sarcasm: Or at least it is in fashion.

The disproportionate amounts of teams per league, and the small number of countries in the league are a joke. I am actually surprised that Fasel from IIHF gave the official name to what used to be a summer tournament European Trophy. I will not care either, because putting in only 1(!) team from Slovakia and 8 from Sweden...what is this, and a team that just got promoted to SHL...serioursly? I always said that Fasel was weak and didn't understand hockey :shakehead

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The disproportionate amounts of teams per league, and the small number of countries in the league are a joke. I am actually surprised that Fasel from IIHF gave the official name to what used to be a summer tournament European Trophy. I will not care either, because putting in only 1(!) team from Slovakia and 8 from Sweden...what is this, and a team that just got promoted to SHL...serioursly? I always said that Fasel was weak and didn't understand hockey :shakehead

Is it hard for you to understand that in order to avoid the threat of the league going under as quickly as the last time(thanks Gazprom), they included "founding members" from the ET/Nordic Trophy that bear the responsibility for the financial stability of the league for 4 years? The clubs wanted to have a European club championship tournament, in order to insure it's stability, certain measure had to be done. IIHF is only 12% shareholder in the league, they are involved in a administrative role in it. Clubs bear the responsibility. The tournament's foundation comes from sportive accomplishments, all the champions are there.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Is it hard for you to understand that in order to avoid the threat of the league going under as quickly as the last time(thanks Gazprom), they included "founding members" from the ET/Nordic Trophy that bear the responsibility for the financial stability of the league for 4 years? The clubs wanted to have a European club championship tournament, in order to insure it's stability, certain measure had to be done. IIHF is only 12% shareholder in the league, they are involved in a administrative role in it. Clubs bear the responsibility. The tournament's foundation comes from sportive accomplishments, all the champions are there.

The threat of the league going under is just the cover. They need to admit the truth that they want to compete (to an extent) with the KHL. It can't be any more obvious than rejecting 7 clubs from KHL, but having no problem with 8 teams from SHL. On top of it the KHL wanted the 7 teams to be divided in this ratio= 4 best Russian teams: 3 best non-Russian teams. Giving one spot to Norway and Slovakia each, but giving way too many to "founding" teams...what this is? A group of friends who put together a group of teams who will play wednesday night recreational beer league?
I mean come on how can you advocate a project that is hypocritical and destined to go bankrupt?

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
If it would go bankrupt it would not be for any of the reasons you listed.

For the reasons I named I doubt it will ever be able to attract sponsors on the same level as UEFA Champions League. Right now the prize money for winning CHL is lower than Cup of Hope in the KHL...which is, let's call it funny. :laugh:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
For the reasons I named I doubt it will ever be able to attract sponsors on the same level as UEFA Champions League. Right now the prize money for winning CHL is lower than Cup of Hope in the KHL...which is, let's call it funny. :laugh:

Hockey champions league will never be able to attract sponsors on the same level as UEFA champions league because it's hockey and not football.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
If it would go bankrupt it would not be for any of the reasons you listed.

It will go bankrupt though, and that's the point. The KHL's inclusion to me was important for the Champions Hockey League from a financial point of view and interest point of view.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It will go bankrupt though, and that's the point. The KHL's inclusion to me was important for the Champions Hockey League from a financial point of view and interest point of view.

Haven't seen you post in a while!

Personally, I don't think it will go bankrupt, but not including KHL teams are wrong.

One thing we have to remember though is that this is the first "real" season for this Champions League. Some teams are still guarenteed a spot, no matter how it goes in the league. When they start doing it with qualifications for smaller leagues, and directly given spots based on league standings, I'm sure we'll see KHL teams participate.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

Not sure who cares about this anyways. Most Swedish fans doesn't, and that would not have changed with KHL clubs.

Not sure why Sweden has insisted on sending so many clubs. :dunno: The fan interest is pretty much 0. Guess the clubs wants some practice games?

Swedish general sports interest (and media interest) pretty much goes like this:

International football (EPL, Serie A, La liga, Bundesliga, Whatever club/league Zlatan plays in, champions league) > Swedish football > Swedish hockey > everything else > international club hockey tournaments

I guess if this tournament is around in 10 years, it might be old enough for people to care a little.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Not sure why Sweden has insisted on sending so many clubs. :dunno: The fan interest is pretty much 0. Guess the clubs wants some practice games?

I guess if this tournament is around in 10 years, it might be old enough for people to care a little.

I bet it's the practice games. They want practice games that will sell more tickets than normal practice games, I think. Even couple hundred tickets can make the difference and if you win whole thing you get more money.

And I think that staying in business long gives you credibility, too. Goes for any new league / tournament. You don't just start a league that is prestigious from year 1 unless NHL sets eastern conference in Europe, if even then. KHL, all euro tournaments need to work on it. International club competition is really good way to go and they just need to be consistent with it and keep building it regardless of the opposition, that there always is when something new happens.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Hockey will never attract UCL kind of money anywhere in Europe. No one has also claimed the CHL would. And people will still care more about the CHL than the Cup of Hopeless which by the way is still the most ridiculous idea in the history of pro sports.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Haven't seen you post in a while!

Personally, I don't think it will go bankrupt, but not including KHL teams are wrong.

One thing we have to remember though is that this is the first "real" season for this Champions League. Some teams are still guarenteed a spot, no matter how it goes in the league. When they start doing it with qualifications for smaller leagues, and directly given spots based on league standings, I'm sure we'll see KHL teams participate.

Which is the plan after 3-4 years.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not sure who cares about this anyways. Most Swedish fans doesn't, and that would not have changed with KHL clubs.

Swedish general sports interest (and media interest) pretty much goes like this:

International football (EPL, Serie A, La liga, Bundesliga, Whatever club/league Zlatan plays in, champions league) > Swedish football > Swedish hockey > everything else > international club hockey tournaments

Not sure if you're old enough to remember but back when the European Cup was still going, SVT sure made a big deal of Djurgården and MIF winning it in '91-'93. SVT was then on public cable over here and I watched Sportnytt and Sportspegeln as often as I remembered (to work on my Swedish) and they spent a lot of time on broadcasts to report on those victories.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Hockey will never attract UCL kind of money anywhere in Europe. No one has also claimed the CHL would. And people will still care more about the CHL than the Cup of Hopeless which by the way is still the most ridiculous idea in the history of pro sports.

Oh, don't get me wrong man. I am the number one opposition to the Cup of Hope, because it is absolutely against any idea of competitive sports. But it is frustrating that the start-money in the CHL barely covers travel and the overall win is still relatively nothing. I never expected the UCL to be on par with hockey, but in order to make CHL interesting you need to have serious money flowing around. The clubs need to see a sign of profit for points, wins, and overall placement....to buy players, to develop young guys, or to even improve arenas. If there was a vision of at least decent profit behind the CHL, the clubs would be going crazy over it, for example imagine Coca-Cola announcing 1.5 Million € prize for winning the league. That would be hockey to die for, both fans and players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh, don't get me wrong man. I am the number one opposition to the Cup of Hope, because it is absolutely against any idea of competitive sports. But it is frustrating that the start-money in the CHL barely covers travel and the overall win is still relatively nothing. I never expected the UCL to be on par with hockey, but in order to make CHL interesting you need to have serious money flowing around. The clubs need to see a sign of profit for points, wins, and overall placement....to buy players, to develop young guys, or to even improve arenas. If there was a vision of at least decent profit behind the CHL, the clubs would be going crazy over it, for example imagine Coca-Cola announcing 1.5 Million € prize for winning the league. That would be hockey to die for, both fans and players.

It more than covers the travel. JYP got only about 50K euros for winning the European Trophy which was more than enough to cover travel expenses etc. Players would have gotten 5000 euro bonus for winning it but they refused to accept and instead donated it to a children hospital. Prize money in the CHL is already 1,5 million euros.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
It more than covers the travel. JYP got only about 50K euros for winning the European Trophy which was more than enough to cover travel expenses etc. Players would have gotten 5000 euro bonus for winning it but they refused to accept and instead donated it to a children hospital. Prize money in the CHL is already 1,5 million euros.

Combined prize money. I meant for the winner 1.5 Million, not 1.5 Million divided by all the teams.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah but there's no chance of any legitimate sponsor giving that kind of money in hockey anywhere in the world.

Aka. there is no chance that this league will mean anything trough the price, it should buy the heart of fans, which is not gonna happen easily, probably not at all, obviously. Good preseason tournament though with couple of interesting games (the finals).

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

If they would schedule it smart and put all games during the season, fans would care, but putting it during the pre-season is just dumb!

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Not sure if you're old enough to remember but back when the European Cup was still going, SVT sure made a big deal of Djurgården and MIF winning it in '91-'93. SVT was then on public cable over here and I watched Sportnytt and Sportspegeln as often as I remembered (to work on my Swedish) and they spent a lot of time on broadcasts to report on those victories.

I am reminded of them each time I go to a redhawks game. They have banners of them alongside their Elitserien wins.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
http://www.championat.com/hockey/article-195235-prezident-kkhl--o-ska-spartake-limite-fkhr.html

— Что должно произойти, чтобы КХЛ согласилась участвовать в возрождённой Лиге чемпионов?
— Мы сделали предложение, хотя нам по большому счёту развивать конкурирующий проект нет смысла. Но всё же мы смотрим на вещи более широко, чем та же НХЛ, и считаем, что международные матчи способствуют развитию хоккея.
Мы выдвинули простую идею, что КХЛ должна быть представлена там клубами по нашему выбору, включая wild card для «Йокерита» в первом сезоне. Но к этому отнеслись как-то ревниво, заявив, что ни «Йокерит», ни «Лев» не имеют права там играть, и вообще ни один иностранный клуб, кроме «Слована», от КХЛ в Лиге чемпионов не должен быть представлен. Такой подход мне был странен. Впрочем, насколько знаю, после первого сезона желание вернуться к этому разговору у её организаторов очень сильно окрепнет.

What should happen KHL to join Champions Hockey League/CHL?
We proposed something. Even though there is no reason we as KHL to promote counter hockey project. Our point of view is different from NHL, lets say, we want to grow the game internationally. We think that international club games grows the hockey. We wanted to choose KHL clubs which should represent us in CHL. Jokerit should get wild card in innaugural season. CHL replied jealousy, they said that Jokerit, Lev have no right to play CHL, no non-russian KHL club, except Slovan, has right to play CHL.

Here we are....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad