Champions Hockey League opens in August 2014 [without KHL Teams]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
CHL is not a league, it's a tournament. In order to become prestigeous, this tournament needs teams from KHL to participate. But, I guess KHL doesn't want to join CHL for the same reason western teams doesn't want to join the KHL - they are not in control of the league/tournament.

Yes. I've said this because the hockey system in Europe national leagues is different that the one in football, handball, basketball, and in my opinion this is one of the most important aspects for which a tournament like this CHL was without success in the past and with the current plan don't think that it will have.

Last edited:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Yes. I've said this because the hockey system in Europe national leagues is different that the one in football, handball, basketball, and in my opinion this is one the most important aspects for which a tournament like this CHL was without success in the past and with the current plan don't think that it will have.

Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to say.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
In my opinion we can't compare this CHL with other similar competitions in Europe.

The most important aspect is because in hockey you have mainly a championship where the teams are playing at lest 4 times each other, and in football, handball, basketball, almost all the national leagues are with two matches (home-away).

Why there is the need for such a competition? Because these clubs (A license) are trying to increase their finances and they think that in order to win more money this might work.

Regarding the presence of KHL teams I'm not surprised that no club is here. And I don't think that this will produce a negative impact to KHL. Now there are a few question marks regarding the next season of KHL and the league should focus on fixing these and how the expansion should be approached in the future.

So you don't think the B-lincensed and C-licensed team got something to win by perhaps playing against other top clubs in Europe? They will mostly like gain a lot of money and higher attendance than playing in the regular league.

And why wouldn't best of 2 work in hockey? Another option could be to play best of 3
and the higher seeded club gets the last home game, and/or let the final game be in best of 2 or only one game on neutral ground.

quartus

May 11, 2011
So you don't think the B-lincensed and C-licensed team got something to win by perhaps playing against other top clubs in Europe? They will mostly like gain a lot of money and higher attendance than playing in the regular league.

And why wouldn't best of 2 work in hockey? Another option could be to play best of 3
and the higher seeded club gets the last home game, and/or let the final game be in best of 2 or only one game on neutral ground.

The ET and the former CHL didn't have that good attendance, though. The thing is that the current format of the CHL means very few games. Few games to get to know the other european clubs, few games to start any kind of rivalries, few games to promote the whole thing with, etc.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I think a league like KHL suits the hockey world better. I don't mind it being another league than the KHL, if say Swedish, Finnish, German, Swiss and Czech clubs come together or something, but seeing as KHL is already started it seems like a better idea. (If one wants to grow the sport that is, if people are fine with their own national leagues, but then a CHL won't work either.)

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I'm not opposed to the idea, but I think a league like KHL suits the hockey world better. I don't mind it being another league than the KHL, if say Swedish, Finnish, German, Swiss and Czech clubs come together or something, but seeing as KHL is already started it seems like a better idea. (If one wants to grow the sport that is, if people are fine with their own national leagues, but then a CHL won't work either.)

CHL doesn't force you to quit/abandon your domestic league, so I don't see how it's relevant at all.

quartus

May 11, 2011
CHL doesn't force you to quit/abandon your domestic league, so I don't see how it's relevant at all.
I liked the first version of the CHL (although I suspected it wouldn't work) and I look forward to this iteration, but seeing as how it fared badly last time I can't see how it would work any better this time. One way would be if it has enough financial backing to last a few years.

KHL doesn't either, you could still potentialy keep the other team as farm team. The only reason not would be if the domestic leage didn't allow that, but that's not really KHL's fault.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I liked the first version of the CHL (although I suspected it wouldn't work) and I look forward to this iteration, but seeing as how it fared badly last time I can't see how it would work any better this time. One way would be if it has enough financial backing to last a few years.

KHL doesn't either, you could still potentialy keep the other team as farm team. The only reason not would be if the domestic leage didn't allow that, but that's not really KHL's fault.

Yeah, let's see how many people will be interested in going watching a KHL farm team. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You do realize there are many swedish teams that would give a lot of the KHL teams a run for their money right? It's not possible for KHL to have farm teams in SHL, even Allsvenskan. Not even caring about the fact that the idea is beyond hillarious and would never work, both SHL and Allsvenskan are way too good to have players develop into KHL players there. A KHL team would want the best players, leaving that team without enough talent to keep up in SHL, and be demoted to Allsvenskan, and be, at best, a bottom team there.

quartus

May 11, 2011
Yeah, let's see how many people will be interested in going watching a KHL farm team. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You do realize there are many swedish teams that would give a lot of the KHL teams a run for their money right? It's not possible for KHL to have farm teams in SHL, even Allsvenskan. Not even caring about the fact that the idea is beyond hillarious and would never work, both SHL and Allsvenskan are way too good to have players develop into KHL players there. A KHL team would want the best players, leaving that team without enough talent to keep up in SHL, and be demoted to Allsvenskan, and be, at best, a bottom team there.

That's why Färjestad so easily crushed the AHL teams, non? :sarcasm:

And a farm team in Allsvenskan is absoluetly just as good, why wouldn't it be?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
That's why Färjestad so easily crushed the AHL teams, non? :sarcasm:

And a farm team in Allsvenskan is absoluetly just as good, why wouldn't it be?

Färjestad has been struggling entire season, that they are in the finals is a miracle. Also, that game was in the middle of the season, ment nothing for Färjestad, was not advertised, mentioned, spoken of in Sweden whatsoever. The team that was supposed to go (Skellefteå) declined because, what's the point. It was talked about in Swedish section: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1594763
-
The KHL team would have to pay for 99,99% of the teams expenses. The audience would be somewhere between 10-50, if even that.

quartus

May 11, 2011
Färjestad has been struggling entire season, that they are in the finals is a miracle. Also, that game was in the middle of the season, ment nothing for Färjestad, was not advertised, mentioned, spoken of in Sweden whatsoever. The team that was supposed to go (Skellefteå) declined because, what's the point. It was talked about in Swedish section: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1594763
-
The KHL team would have to pay for 99,99% of the teams expenses. The audience would be somewhere between 10-50, if even that.

I know they've had a "bad" season (fans want Wallin to go and release some money for new signings), but they ended fifth, not too shabby. And if they're in the final, what does that say about the teams that came after and the ones they met in the playoffs?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The act the there's "founding members" with 4 years guaranteed entry, assures it's existence at least for that long. That is what the clubs wanted, the last iteration didn't have a reliable foundation.

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend

The problem I see with this is that a big part of the core fans would rather go watch the Allsvenskan team than the KHL team because they could also travel to away games easier and they play other Swedish teams.

quartus

May 11, 2011
The problem I see with this is that a big part of the core fans would rather go watch the Allsvenskan team than the KHL team because they could also travel to away games easier and they play other Swedish teams.

Probably, but I don't think having different kind of fans for the teams would be a major problem (since I believe the new KHL team would attract mainly new fans). Not many football fans have the time or money to follow their football team's European adventures either even though they're highly interested in them. Same thing probably goes for russian fans before the KHL...

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

There would be no core fans. The team that would be the KHL farm team would instantly lose 99,9999% of their fans. The only people to attend would be friends and family. And due to the fact that no swedish hockey player dreams/wants to play in KHL, it would be very hard to get players to sign there. KHL is used as a last resort to grab a few millions before their careers end.

Last edited:

quartus

May 11, 2011
There would be no core fans. The team that would be the KHL farm team would instantly lose 99,9999% of their fans. The only people to attend would be friends and family. And due to the fact that no swedish hockey player dreams/wants to play in KHL, it would be very hard to get players to sign there. KHL is used as a last resort to grab a few millions before their careers end.

Funny then that you have 20-25 Swedish players in the KHL. And a lot of them in the middle of their careers. I don't think any Swedish players dream of playing in Switzerland either, but a lot of them do. It really sounds like you hate the KHL, otherwise you would at least stick to reality...

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Funny then that you have 20-25 Swedish players in the KHL. And a lot of them in the middle of their careers. I don't think any Swedish players dream of playing in Switzerland either, but a lot of them do. It really sounds like you hate the KHL, otherwise you would at least stick to reality...

It's all about the money. Swedish players want to play in the NHL, and if not, SHL, but there's only so much money KHL can offer before it's tempting to spend a few years there.

It would be interesting to see, how many of the Swedish KHL players still has a legit shot at NHL. Not many I guess? :laugh:

quartus

May 11, 2011
It's all about the money. Swedish players want to play in the NHL, and if not, SHL, but there's only so much money KHL can offer before it's tempting to spend a few years there.

It would be interesting to see, how many of the Swedish KHL players still has a legit shot at NHL. Not many I guess? :laugh:

Which is not so strange since KHL is in between NHL and SHL qualitywise, but you don't really know anything about KHL, so I don't blame you.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Which is not so strange since KHL is in between NHL and SHL qualitywise, but you don't really know anything about KHL, so I don't blame you.

What do I need to know about KHL based on the statements I made? I said swedish players doesn't really want to play in KHL, but for some of them the pay is too good to say no. My other point was that KHL has aprox 0 swedish players that could potentially play in NHL.

Which statement is untrue?

quartus

May 11, 2011
What do I need to know about KHL based on the statements I made? I said swedish players doesn't really want to play in KHL, but for some of them the pay is too good to say no. My other point was that KHL has aprox 0 swedish players that could potentially play in NHL.

Which statement is untrue?

I've never said that they're untrue.

This is what you said:
And due to the fact that no swedish hockey player wants to play in KHL, it would be very hard to get players to sign there.
Fact: There are 20-25 players that wants to play in the KHL, seeing as they're playing there.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I've never said that they're untrue.

This is what you said:

Fact: There are 20-25 players that wants to play in the KHL, seeing as they're playing there.

And I'm sure they would rather play there than in NHL. I'm sure the 3rd divison Swedes are happy to play in the 3rd division.

"Want" is a strong word.

I'm sure Linus Omark didn't want to play in NHL, that's why he tried for years to make it work. Now he finally got to play where he wanted all along, KHL. :sarcasm:

quartus

May 11, 2011
And I'm sure they would rather play there than in NHL. I'm sure the 3rd divison Swedes are happy to play in the 3rd division.

"Want" is a strong word.

I'm sure Linus Omark didn't want to play in NHL, that's why he tried for years to make it work. Now he finally got to play where he wanted all along, KHL. :sarcasm:

I never said that. This will be my last response since you're more of a troll than anything else.

Of course all the players want to play in the NHL. When did I ever say the opposite??? You're missing the point with purpose...

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I never said that. This will be my last response since you're more of a troll than anything else.

Of course all the players want to play in the NHL. When did I ever say the opposite??? You're missing the point with purpose...

Not at all. You're trying to glorify KHL.

I said swedish players doesn't want to play in KHL. You agree, not sure why you have been trying to create an argument. :help:

Feel free to not post. Please do. :laugh:

quartus

May 11, 2011
Not at all. You're trying to glorify KHL.

I said swedish players doesn't want to play in KHL. You agree, not sure why you have been trying to create an argument. :help:

Feel free to not post. Please do. :laugh:

I don't. You're the one not sticking to reality.

Swedish players want to play in the KHL just as they want to play in DEL, NLA, Extraliga or something else. They play where they can earn money and play good hockey. If they're not good enough for NHL they opt for the next best thing they can get. For some that is SHL, for some it's NLA and for some it's KHL. How is that hard to understand? Of course they want to play wherever they choose to end up, why in the world would they choose it otherwise?

Of course Omark wanted NHL, but now he got a good offer from KHL, which obviously was preferable to SHL. How is that hard to understand?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I don't. You're the one not sticking to reality.

Swedish players want to play in the KHL just as they want to play in DEL, NLA, Extraliga or something else. They play where they can earn money and play good hockey. If they're not good enough for NHL they opt for the next best thing they can get. For some that is SHL, for some it's NLA and for some it's KHL. How is that hard to understand? Of course they want to play wherever they choose to end up, why in the world would they choose it otherwise?

Of course Omark wanted NHL, but now he got a good offer from KHL, which obviously was preferable to SHL. How is that hard to understand?

Thought you had done your last post already? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad