Champions Hockey League 2022/2023

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
It started recently and no Polish teams this time? Also, Frolunda didn't make it?

They changed the format for this season, to have stronger teams make up a larger portion of the competition. They still left five spots open for teams from lower ranked leagues, but I don’t know how they decided on them. I guess they went with the champions from the five highest ranked leagues outside of the SHL, NLA, Liiga, DHL, Extraliga and ICEHL? Perhaps they’ll be doing some shuffling from season to season.

Frölunda finished sixth in the SHL last season: the SHL has three CHL spots in this format and since the playoff and regular season champions were both Växjö, the remaining spots went to the 2nd and 3rd place regular season teams Skellefteå and Färjestad.

The SHL was close to having a 4th team in this year’s CHL, as Luleå made it all the way to the CHL finals, which was funny as they only finished 10th in the regular season.

Reactions: S E P H

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Challenger leagues are chosen at the discretion of the CHL board and will probably be reviewed every year.

I can't remember where I saw it but I believe I read somewhere they decided Polish teams weren't attractive enough despite the PHL being 7th in its own ranking (Rankings).

Another example of the board's choices, while the EIHL was picked, Guildford would have not been allowed to participate, most likely due to their barn, and the spot would have been given to the runner-up (Champions Hockey League announces Elite League invite).

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Challenger leagues are chosen at the discretion of the CHL board and will probably be reviewed every year.

I can't remember where I saw it but I believe I read somewhere they decided Polish teams weren't attractive enough despite the PHL being 7th in its own ranking (Rankings).

Another example of the board's choices, while the EIHL was picked, Guildford would have not been allowed to participate, most likely due to their barn, and the spot would have been given to the runner-up (Champions Hockey League announces Elite League invite).
Why is the Polish league 5 spots above the Slovak League? :eek:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Because the Slovaks have been by far the worst of all participants in recent years.
:clap:I see thanks (I don't watch CHL)

I just looked at the stats and it looks like Kosice, Nitra and Banska are all ahead of all Polish teams but Slovan Bratislava is the worst performing team in the whole CHL :facepalm:

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Skellefteå losing to Rouen at home. Växjö and Stavanger to OT. SHL just showing how overated league it is.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Actually it is even worse for Skellefteå than what it looks like.

Rouen was missing 5 players last night. 3 were injured (Lampérier, Boscq et Cantagallo), one suspended (Guimond) and the last one just became a dad (Nesa).

The D corps was 4 guys and a kid with a grand total of 5 Ligue Magnus games to his name. And the trip up north was also eventful for some as 4 players didn't get their personal effects before yesterday afternoon.

So congrats to the Dragons!

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Finnih snd German Teams are in a good shape at the moment.

Finnish champions losing clearly to a Skellefteå who hasn’t impressed at all. Sweden still juggernaut in this tournament no matter what the joke Eye of Ra says.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Finnish champions losing clearly to a Skellefteå who hasn’t impressed at all. Sweden still juggernaut in this tournament no matter what the joke Eye of Ra says.
Tappara wont be top 3 this season in Liiga though.

Also, in this context, Tappara = CHL champions.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Actually it is even worse for Skellefteå than what it looks like.

Rouen was missing 5 players last night. 3 were injured (Lampérier, Boscq et Cantagallo), one suspended (Guimond) and the last one just became a dad (Nesa).

The D corps was 4 guys and a kid with a grand total of 5 Ligue Magnus games to his name. And the trip up north was also eventful for some as 4 players didn't get their personal effects before yesterday afternoon.

So congrats to the Dragons!
Motivation sometimes beats class. Skellefteå looked like they didn't care. They looked completely different against Tappara.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Really? Their roster looks solid. Camper and Halloran was pretty good in SHL.
Yes that’s correct.
The best roster from Liiga isnt even in this competition, HIFK. Tappara have an ok roster and guys like camper and halloran might be decent, however you cant replace guys like lehterä and Ojamäki with those guys. Yet their biggest problem will be their coaching.

Reactions: Jussi and Lambo

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Tappara are the defending CHL-Champion. This was the first loss, after long long time. ;) I And i wrote "at the moment".

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Only one shl team among top 8. You call that Juggernaut lmao. Del have 3 teams in top 8. Thats Juggernaut.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
The best roster from Liiga isnt even in this competition, HIFK. Tappara have an ok roster and guys like camper and halloran might be decent, however you cant replace guys like lehterä and Ojamäki with those guys. Yet their biggest problem will be their coaching.
Camper had 32 more points in one season than Ojamäki in the SHL. I think he's an okay replacement

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Camper had 32 more points in one season than Ojamäki in the SHL. I think he's an okay replacement
It doesnt matter what Ojamäki did in Sweden, old stats are old stats. He lead the KHL in goal scoring before he came to Tappara (so basically the best goal scorer playing in Europe). And I was going for veteran center vs. veteran center Lehterä >> Camper. And goal scoring w vs. goal scoring w Ojamäki > Halloran.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Hi guys I'm a big fan of the CHL here in Canada, 3 teams to keep an eye on moving forward Munich, Geneve-Servette and Pardubice, it will be interesting to see how many of the 16 playoff spots teams from Sweden, Finland, Swiss, Czechia and Germany take? Right now they have 15 of the 16 only Innsbruck is in at #14.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Tappara wont be top 3 this season in Liiga though.

Also, in this context, Tappara = CHL champions.
You should know Tappara always find a way to finish at the top of the table ;) They have finished 10 times top 3 in the last 11 seasons, they won the cup 4 times and went to the finals 8 times!!!

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Hi guys I'm a big fan of the CHL here in Canada, 3 teams to keep an eye on moving forward Munich, Geneve-Servette and Pardubice, it will be interesting to see how many of the 16 playoff spots teams from Sweden, Finland, Swiss, Czechia and Germany take? Right now they have 15 of the 16 only Innsbruck is in at #14.
I can imagine Rapperswil dropping out of the top16 since they have a pretty tough schedule (2CZ, 2FI, 1SE teams) and haven't convinced me so far. But yes, in the end I see those leagues dominating the tournament.

Reactions: KingAlfie11

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Mislav Rosandic: The Champions Hockey League is a very strange hockey experiment, good for a preseason to play with teams from other leagues. But in the playoffs, you start to get a little tired, the Finals are played in January when your team plays many domestic league matches anyways.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Växjö Lakers results in 2023-2024 CHL:

Financial loss of 1 million SEK (~ € 90,000)
Average home attendance 2618 attendees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad