Champions Hockey League 2019-20

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What excuses? CHL has always been lukewarm among fans and media and SHL teams dont play their best roster.

Sågar CHL: ”Kringel Cup i Södertälje har mer prestige...”
I can agree with you.

Let us look at the facts. Four of five Swedish teams have played at least one home game this season. Their average attendance is 3,038 fans per game so far. So, as brutally bad as last season. Yes, Frolunda played the Final at Scandinavium, but now again at Frölundaborg! It is not enough to play the Final at a big venue, you need to play all games at that big venue! Otherwise, you consider the competition as a joke. Sorry guys, but I say how it is.

It is the sixth edition of the CHL & the attendance in Sweden is still terrible. Yes, we could say "it is just the first season, fans need to adapt to the new competition." But we can not accept such an excuse in the sixth season!! There are just two explanations - 1) the CHL is doing it wrong, or 2) Swedish teams are doing it wrong (or do not care)

Here the stats

Färjestad - 2,409 & 3,176
Lulea - 3,550 & 3,275
Frolunda - 3,630
Skeleftea - 2,190

Reactions: Star Ocean

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Do you actually watch any of the games? Players are sleepwalking out there. It gets better later in the season but at this point it's nothing more than the usual pre-season game nobody cares about.

So, why do they start the CHL so early? If everybody knows that it is nothing more than a pre-season so early in the season?

I will tell you why. The international schedule. They do not have other time-slots for it if they want to finish it before leagues playoffs.

The KHL proposed them at Barcelona Forum to change the international scheduling. So, the IIHF Worlds would be in February & the leagues like SHL, KHL, CHL etc could prolong their season into May. Speaking about the CHL, they could start mid to late September & finish it in March. Great timing. But no, Euros refused the proposal.

And now, the biggest victim of the scheduling is the CHL.

The saddest part of it is that the CHL leadership does not realise what they are doing wrong. That is sad news for European club hockey.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Do you actually watch any of the games? Players are sleepwalking out there. It gets better later in the season but at this point it's nothing more than the usual pre-season game nobody cares about.

I watched Roger Rönnberg scream at and then bench a couple of his players yesterday. Looked pretty darn serious to me.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Depends on what stage of their preparation the teams are. Several of these teams have played exhibition games like 2-3 weeks and the season starting for example in Finland in two weeks, it's understandable some teams are not in "mid-season form".

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Meh, really dislike this attitude. Very toxic, kindergarden stuff. "If you win we didn't even care and are still better". It's like you dont even give the german side a chance to prove them selfs. Glad the actual athletes are smarter and would never say something like that.
Motivation is a big part of results. Skill or no skill every win is deserved. But it would be foolish to say that top German teams are on par with top Swedish teams. There simply is no precedent.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
But anyway Malmö failed to Munich last Season in K.O. Stage and 15/16 the big Frölunda with extremly much luck vs Ingolstadt in K.O. Not bad for a Beerleague like DEL. ;)
You think Frölunda got to the finals every season except one by luck? Is that what you seriously believe?

Reactions: Pardus

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Some emotion shown in the Zug-HPK game as HPK´s Miro Karjalainen annihilated some swiss guy after he gave Miro a couple of cheap elbows. It was pretty clear that the NLA guys are not used to having to pay for their actions physically. His teammates looked like they were going to shit their pants and the guy who got beaten had some sort of an seizure on the ice and later threw his gloves to the ground, pissed as f on the bench :laugh:

RamboZambo

Mar 4, 2019
SHL,LIIGA, NLA and Extraleague clubs don t call up thier real potential. Ridiculous tournament.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sunday games of the Swedish clubs. Their attendance:

Skeleftea - 1,887
Frolunda - 3,895

So far it is very bad, only 3,000 fans per game. Brutal.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Motivation is a big part of results. Skill or no skill every win is deserved. But it would be foolish to say that top German teams are on par with top Swedish teams. There simply is no precedent.

I wouldnt say German teams. But Mannheim can beat every Swedish team and every decent Swedish team can beat Mannheim. Day form is vital.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I wouldnt say German teams. But Mannheim can beat every Swedish team and every decent Swedish team can beat Mannheim. Day form is vital.
Sure. But the SHL is no doubt a step above DEL. That's what I mean by not on par. Don't get me wrong. DEL is a good league.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Sure. But the SHL is no doubt a step above DEL. That's what I mean by not on par. Don't get me wrong. DEL is a good league.

No question the SHL is the better league. Munich and Mannheim are exceptional teams at the moment in the DEL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Skeleftea - 1,887
Frolunda - 3,895

Luckily to them not as brutal as Kunlun Red Star at least :sarcasm:

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg

Skeleftea - 1,887
Frolunda - 3,895

That's one way of seeing it. Here's Frölunda's attendance in the first two home games 18/19:

vs. Zürich - 2,803
vs. Vienna - 2,733

And here's 19/20:

vs. Graz - 3,630
vs. Mountfield - 3,895

That's a huge step forward in Gothenburg. The arrangements around the games were boring though, like last season. They didn't even raise a championship banner or acknowledge the 2019 win in any other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad