Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
No matter what you think of the CHL, these games are so much better to watch than regular exhibition season games. The intensity is much higher, and the atmosphere in the rinks is amazing. I watched about 6 games tonight and except for a couple of them, the attendance was pretty good, and the fans were totally into it.
I agree with you so much, i think the CHL is getting better and better every year. its very good hockey. i cant wait for day 3 :)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yep, we had all players healthy and playing. The goalie may be an exception: the ex-Wild Niklas Bäckström is supposed to be the back-up this season even though he was in the net tonight.

Storhamar just played a nice game. They fought hard on defence and capitalized their chances. Their goalie was amazing, too. That happens sometimes.
ah yes for sure it happens, its fun to see "weaker" clubs beat stronger club.

Reactions: adamnowek

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I agree with you so much, i think the CHL is getting better and better every year. its very good hockey. i cant wait for day 3 :)

Ya, at one point last night I had four games on at once :). It'll be cool when the Swiss, Finnish and Swedish fans stop viewing these as glorified exhibition games, and start coming out in stronger numbers. The atmosphere in the arena will be better for their games, and just make it a better viewing experience. As it is the game in Bolzano and two in Germany had great crowds and they were loud too.

And ya, I am totally stoked for tonight as well :)

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
So, Bolzano qualified to the CHL by winning the EBEL? An Italian team won the Austrian league? That's pretty cool. Had no idea they were doing so well.
What's the story behind them joining the EBEL?

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
I wonder if it might be possible to have a "Whining and snivelling about the CHL" thread, and leave this one open for people who actually want to talk about the competition?

I apologize from my part in this. It is clear to me now that some users are not here for constructive conversation, but just trying to spread negativity with whining and snivelling. I will not continue to support that agenda by answering to those provocations. If in the future I get irritated by those kind of provocations here, I do what they love. That is to find some negative news about KHL and post it on KHL threads.

But on topic. Very nice first round and some nice suprice along it. Aalborg held Zürich down for a long time and they were still leading half way to 3. period, but then Zürich managed to get even and win the game in overtime. Also victories to Storhamar (over Tappara) and Bolzano (over Skellefteå) were nice suprices. Skellefteå had five shooters in shoot out and not even one goal? I also were little supriced by Neman Grodnos win over Kometa Brno and Plzen win over Lugano.

Can Aalborg make another suprice tonight agains Vienna Capitals? And will the current champion continue to win against Czech team after clear victory over slovak team?

And tomorrow, can Skellefteå even lose to Tychy? Will Tappara lose to Trinec? Can Storhamar take another virtory over Djurgårdens and how about Bolzano against HIFK? Great hockey weekend over all.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
So, Bolzano qualified to the CHL by winning the EBEL? An Italian team won the Austrian league? That's pretty cool. Had no idea they were doing so well.
What's the story behind them joining the EBEL?

I don't know what's the story behind them joining the EBEL is, but their last season was a cinderella story. Mid winter they were dead last in EBEL and then they changed coach and start to play well again and it all ended with the championship. Finals went to seven game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know what's the story behind them joining the EBEL is, but their last season was a cinderella story. Mid winter they were dead last in EBEL and then they changed coach and start to play well again and it all ended with the championship. Finals went to seven game.

It's the Kai Suikkanen effect. Though he hasn't managed to win in Finland with a heavy favorite, he's managed to pull up a huge upset with an underdog team.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Plzen looking to upset last years champs Jyp, leading 3-1 in the second period.

Vaxjo avenge their opening loss to Bern with a 5-2 win over Salzburg. Decent crowd in Vaxjo today too. Not a sellout, but really good by Swedish standards.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
Plzen looking to upset last years champs Jyp, leading 3-1 in the second period.

Vaxjo avenge their opening loss to Bern with a 5-2 win over Salzburg. Decent crowd in Vaxjo today too. Not a sellout, but really good by Swedish standards.

Unfortunately, the attendance only shows how many people picked up their tickets. The real number that showed up is around 3k

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Unfortunately, the attendance only shows how many people picked up their tickets. The real number that showed up is around 3k

I never quoted any attendance figures, just said the crowd looked better than we normally see in Swedish rinks for CL group play games.

4-2 Plzen in the third period. About 14 minutes to play.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
I never quoted any attendance figures, just said the crowd looked better than we normally see in Swedish rinks for CL group play games.

4-2 Plzen in the third period. About 14 minutes to play.

Its not impressive when the tickets are free. I think people prefer to watch it on tv

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Big 3 points for Plzen as they beat JYP 4-2 tonight. The other two teams in that group, Ban Bystrica and Lugano start shortly.

Marquee matchup of the night, Frolunda v Zurich starts in a few minutes. Looking forward to a really entertaining game between two strong teams.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Haven't watched a full game yet, but had some free time and went through all the highlights yesterday. The crowds looked quite decent in majority of the games I saw.

Curious, since Ukraine isn't in the KHL anymore, any word of them joining the CHL or are there travel issues? Donbass could be a major player in this tourney IMHO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, as someone who spent some time in Bolzano, it is part of the Südtirol region where a lot of the locals speak German.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Haven't watched a full game yet, but had some free time and went through all the highlights yesterday. The crowds looked quite decent in majority of the games I saw.

Curious, since Ukraine isn't in the KHL anymore, any word of them joining the CHL or are there travel issues? Donbass could be a major player in this tourney IMHO.

Well the Ukrainian Hockey League is below the Hungarian league in terms of quality, so I don't see Donbass joining any time soon. As far as them being competitive, they played in the group stage of the Belorussian Cup and finished in 6th place in their group with a 3 and 4 record. Not sure they are quite ready for CL yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well the Ukrainian Hockey League is below the Hungarian league in terms of quality, so I don't see Donbass joining any time soon. As far as them being competitive, they played in the group stage of the Belorussian Cup and finished in 6th place in their group with a 3 and 4 record. Not sure they are quite ready for CL yet.
I find Hungarian hockey to be quite underrated on the Euro level, but even with that said that doesn't look good for Ukraine. What the hell happen to your guys' hockey programme? It was looking quite strong in the 90s and it just fell apart.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I find Hungarian hockey to be quite underrated on the Euro level, but even with that said that doesn't look good for Ukraine. What the hell happen to your guys' hockey programme? It was looking quite strong in the 90s and it just fell apart.

I agree that the Hungarian league has come a long way, even from just 3 or 4 years ago when I first started watching it. When I first started watching it, it was at the same level as the BeNe League, which is glorified beer league hockey. Although they did lose their two best teams, DVTK and MAC Budapest, to the Slovakian league this year.

As for Donbass, well they still have by far the best team in the Ukrainian Hockey League. They have won the Ukrainian championship every year that they've had one, for the last 5 years or so. Last year, they came within a game of going undefeated for the regular season. Their junior programs are still quite strong too. But when you have war going on in the city in which you play, it kinda disrupts your plans for playing up.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Rockin' four games at once again :).

After the first, it's 1-0 Zurich over Frolunda.
Ban Bystrica score on a penalty shot to go up 4-2 over Lugano late in the second.
Vienna and Aalborg, and Cardiff-Bern just underway.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
First period in Vienna was suspended with 10 minutes to play because of fog. Vienna leads 1-0 over Aalborg.

End of the first in Cardiff and the Devils and Bern are tied at 0.

Third period underway between Ban Bystrica and Lugano, 4-2 BB.

Second period underway in Zurich, and the Lions lead Frolunda 1-0.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
First period in Vienna was suspended with 10 minutes to play because of fog. Vienna leads 1-0 over Aalborg.

End of the first in Cardiff and the Devils and Bern are tied at 0.

Third period underway between Ban Bystrica and Lugano, 4-2 BB.

Second period underway in Zurich, and the Lions lead Frolunda 1-0.

Frölunda's Max Friberg make it 1-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2