Champions Hockey League 2018-2019

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Trinec produced a ton of premium chances and had some powerplays early in the game yesterday. They failed miserably to hit the target, though. They should have been up by two or so. Late in the period Tappara started to get in the game. Tappara had its first powerplay chance, too and soon the game was 0-1 to the visitors. Then came the second period where Tappara was the stronger side from the start. Trinec had some consecutive penalties and towards the end of a 5-on-3 powerplay Tappara scored the second goal. After that something strange happened to Trinec. Tappara scored virtually from every attack and soon the game was 0-6. Final score was 2-8.

Seen highlights and coach interviews, something similar happened to Trinec on Friday against Djurgården, too. Can anyone tell more about that game? Last year semifinalists are in tough spot now after losing both home games against main rivals in the group. And by brutal numbers so any tie-break scenarios won't be favourable for them.

Trinec was just out of gas at Werk Arena by the end.

member 305909

I hope the CHL will get some uplift and recognition in the future. At the moment the Finnish teams, or at least the fans of the Finnish teams, largely regard these matches of the CHL as some sort of pre-season training-matches in preparation for the Finnish liiga.

I have to admit it to my shame that I have no idea which team is the reigning champion of the CHL. I will have to check that out.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I hope the CHL will get some uplift and recognition in the future. At the moment the Finnish teams, or at least the fans of the Finnish teams, largely regard these matches of the CHL as some sort of pre-season training-matches in preparation for the Finnish liiga.

I have to admit it to my shame that I have no idea which team is the reigning champion of the CHL. I will have to check that out.

JYP Jyvaskala beat Vaxjo in the final.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I would like to know why they dont start the CHL in October after all domestic leagues have started, that way fans would take it more seriously i think. what do you guys think?

Reactions: Kyyrii

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I would like to know why they dont start the CHL in October after all domestic leagues have started, that way fans would take it more seriously i think. what do you guys think?
Scheduling issues.

They need or want to finish all season, including the finals, before the play-off of national leagues start. They have to make a break for national teams tournaments - the Euro Hockey Tour in November & December. They need to take into consideration the schedule of national leagues which are played in a week as well. For example, in soccer national leagues are usually played in a weekend, the UEFA competitions in a week.

The CHL 2008 started later (Oct) & had 12 sides.

There was an offer on the table to reform international IIHF schedule a few years ago. It would give more "freedom" to national leagues, including then-non-existent CHL. The offer was refused by the IIHF & national hockey federations who created current CHL two years later. As a history has showed, it was a clever decision.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Scheduling issues.

They need or want to finish all season, including the finals, before the play-off of national leagues start. They have to make a break for national teams tournaments - the Euro Hockey Tour in November & December. They need to take into consideration the schedule of national leagues which are played in a week as well. For example, in soccer national leagues are usually played in a weekend, the UEFA competitions in a week.

The CHL 2008 started later (Oct) & had 12 sides.

There was an offer on the table to reform international IIHF schedule a few years ago. It would give more "freedom" to national leagues, including then-non-existent CHL. The offer was refused by the IIHF & national hockey federations who created current CHL two years later. As a history has showed, it was a clever decision.

European clubs created the current version of CHL. National federations had no part in it and IIHF very little.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
European clubs created the current version of CHL. National federations had no part in it and IIHF very little.
The CHL 2014 was created by clubs, federations and the IIHF. That is a fact.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The Belarusian guests apparently stole everything from their dressing room.
Thank you.

Meantime, major Russian hockey media wrote the story. I have checked 4 major media, two have it as a headline, two has it as a ordinary news.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That might have political reasons too, after all Yunost stands to an extent for the Western side of things in Belarusian hockey.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The CHL 2014 was created by clubs, federations and the IIHF. That is a fact.

We've been through this already. Federations didn't play a role in it:

KalPa yksi uuden CHL-liigan perustajista

CHL on kansallisten liigojen, seurajoukkueiden ja kansainvälisen jääkiekkoliiton yhteinen hanke, jonka sekä investoinnit että omistus jakaantuu 26 seuran (63%), kuuden liigan (25%) ja IIHF:n (12%) kesken.

Translated: CHL is a joint venture between national leagues, clubs and IIHF. Investments and ownership being divided between 26 clubs (63%), six leagues (25%) and the IIHF (12%).

Even the Wikipedia article doesn't mention federations. Sou you've got fake facts again. Sad!

Last edited:
Reactions: adamnowek

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Bolzano beat Helsinki for the second game in a row, 2-1 in the SO.

Is there any bigger waste of time than shootouts? Each team had 12 shots on net, and managed to score a combined 3 goals. Just play 10 minutes of 3 on 3 and if no-one scores declare the tie. My goodness I hate shootouts with every fibre of my being.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
EBEL champions winning in SO against mid-table Liiga team really shouldn't be such a big deal. It's pretty big-headed of Finns to think otherwise. But I guess every country overestimates their hockey strength, being KHL fan I know it first hand.

Reactions: adamnowek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad