Chabot vs. Rielly

Who would you build your D around?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Chabot plays sheltered minutes? Good grief just because you type it doesnt make it true. Lol who on the sens d core is 'taking the hard minutes ' if not him? Seriously, they have chabot and 5 other third pairing d men. Do you even watch a single sens game? He plays all game in all situations because they dont have anyone else. Borowiecki and Lajoie are the two other LD men. Are those two studs sheltering him. Lol like if you are gonna try and discredit the player you can do better than that.
This. Chabot is literally on the ice for all situations. Down a goal or two? Put him on. Trying to protect the lead in the dying minutes? He's on. Power play, pk and everything in between. I've seen him in all situations and for the most part against top lines. Guess the eye test doesn't cut it though.

Reactions: bert

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I used to think it was just Karlsson that you had it out for. Now I realize you actually have a deep resentment for anything Sens. Must suck to be so bitter about something. Really takes away from your happiness I bet.
Either that or Sens fans just have a problem with think their players are the best when they aren’t. If Sens fans were accurate about what they said about their own players, they’d have won the cup every year for the last 5 years. Best defenceman in the NHL since Orr in Karlsson. Best two way winger in the NHL in Stone. Most underrated shut down defender in Methot. Top 5 goalie in Craig Anderson. 40 goal scorer Mike Hoffman. Top 5 two way centre in Kyle Turris. Top 20 centre Matt Duchene. This year’s Norris Trophy winner, Thomas Chabot. Future 40 goal scorer Curtis Lazar. Future Patrice Bergeron Colin White. Better than Morgan Rielly, Cody Ceci. I’m sure I’m still missing some

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
For the record, I have absolutely no problem declaring Rielly as the better defenceman this year. People making false claims and assuming Chabot is a sheltered fourth-forward that can't defend ala Karlsson 2.0 can take a walk though.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Either that or Sens fans just have a problem with think their players are the best when they aren’t. If Sens fans were accurate about what they said about their own players, they’d have won the cup every year for the last 5 years. Best defenceman in the NHL since Orr in Karlsson. Best two way winger in the NHL in Stone. Most underrated shut down defender in Methot. Top 5 goalie in Craig Anderson. 40 goal scorer Mike Hoffman. Top 5 two way centre in Kyle Turris. Top 20 centre Matt Duchene. This year’s Norris Trophy winner, Thomas Chabot. Future 40 goal scorer Curtis Lazar. Future Patrice Bergeron Colin White. Better than Morgan Rielly, Cody Ceci. I’m sure I’m still missing some
Fair enough. Hyperbole is annoying, I agree.

It's a shame because I'm sure most sens fans are level-headed. The bad apples always ruin the bunch.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Chabot plays sheltered minutes? Good grief just because you type it doesnt make it true. Lol who on the sens d core is 'taking the hard minutes ' if not him? Seriously, they have chabot and 5 other third pairing d men. Do you even watch a single sens game? He plays all game in all situations because they dont have anyone else. Borowiecki and Lajoie are the two other LD men. Are those two studs sheltering him. Lol like if you are gonna try and discredit the player you can do better than that.
I think he's referring to Chabot's QOC being in the bottom quartile. That's usually what people refer to when they talk about a guy being sheltered.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

He's not sheltered. He just plays much easier minutes. They track quality of competiton. Chabot is 6th out of the 7D the Sens have. I literally mentioned that before lol, not making it up. Also that on ice sh% is really really unsustainable. D usually are around 5-8%. He's at 14.37. Rielly is also producing at a unusustainable rate but it's only 11.3.

Look. Chabot is amazing and the Sens have surprsingly done a great job handling him. He's super composed, and has that all-around stud potential.

But come'on, do you also believe that Chabot has already surpassed Rielly as an NHL D? You believe he's locked in as a top-20D? I believe Chabot will be surpass him in a few years, once he does all this in a similar usage to the top guys, but right now it doesn't even make sense to compare them.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Ceci is in the 93rd percentile for QoC, followed by Borowiecki at 86, Lajoie at 53, Demelo at 31, Chabot at 23 and Wideman at 10.

At first I thought there must be an error in those numbers because I thought there was no way that a D could play as many minutes as Chabot has been playing and manage to have a QoC that low, and early in the season those QoC percentiles can be a little bizarre, but then I went to naturalstattrick and looked at his ice time against all the top forwards he has played against this year, and the team has managed to do a very amazing job at keeping him away from top line competition, and even a pretty good job at keeping him away from 2nd line competition among the teams with strong second lines. Boston's big line, Tampa big lines, Toronto big lines, Kane, Kopitar, Hall, Giroux etc, etc. He hasn't played much against them at all.

Personally, I think that is a good thing and Ottawa should be praised for the way they are developing him.

Reactions: The Podium

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Fair enough. Hyperbole is annoying, I agree.

It's a shame because I'm sure most sens fans are level-headed. The bad apples always ruin the bunch.
Every fan base has them! And they always seem to be the loudest which sucks for the rest of the fanbase

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

This is the worst post I have ever seen par for the course from you though.

Who said he's the best defender since Orr? Maybe in strict terms of offensive contributions. Who the hell said Turris is top 5 2 way centre in the game, I'll legit send you 50 bucks if you can find TWO POSTERS who said that. Why u mentioning Duchene with Turris when we didn't have them together, and top 20 C for Duchene is not absurd lol. Lmao at Lazar 40 goal guy.

You take other people's hyperbole's and blow them up 10 times more for such a terrible point.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Another example of how many leaf haters are on HF... a proven number 1 dman who plays solid two way D and who in the last 100 games has put up 80points is still not as good as a one dimensional dman who has had a hot streak.... im not shocked honestly.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Very poor post. Every single fan base overrates their own players. You’re own fan base is one of the worst. I’d post the multiple ’Liljigren is the Steal of the Draft’ threads but I don’t have the time.
The Leafs are a very good team but that doesn’t mean that every one of their players is better than every other player.
And pointing out lack of Cup wins is pretty ironic and again is a weak argument.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
For all of the posters who are only talking about producing points does that mean that if Chabot finishes with at least 53 points he has had a better season than any one season in Chara’s career?

More than 60 points better than any season Drew Doughty has had so far in his career?

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
This. Chabot is literally on the ice for all situations. Down a goal or two? Put him on. Trying to protect the lead in the dying minutes? He's on. Power play, pk and everything in between. I've seen him in all situations and for the most part against top lines. Guess the eye test doesn't cut it though.

Of course he's out there in every situation, the Sens are terrible.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Rielly's start is more sustainable (Though both are hot) and he's a lot further ahead on Defence.

Rielly is a true stud #1D who faces the toughest competition possible and excels versus them.

Chabot is a young D who is does not face that type of competition and has produced on a very impressive hot streak.

Chabot is really good and younger but waaaaaaaaaaaay less faith he'll keep up this level of play vs Rielly. And even then, this level of play hasn't even been better than what Rielly has been doing this season.

Pretty stupid poll to compare a 20/21 year old vs a 24 year old D especially when HFBoards so obviously biases towards the younger player even though development is almost never that linear.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Uhhhh...what?... Rielly is an excellent skater and is built like a fire hydrant. Don't know where you getting this from.

Yeah that post was wild, Rielly is a better skater than Chabot and the dude is a tank.

and if Team Canada we're to put together a team this year he would be on it and playing every game.

I don't think that guy put much thought into his post lol.

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Fluky softmore. You wouldnt know a good player on an opposing team if he hit you with a bus or went coast to coast twice in your own building. Its truly pathetic how the majority of you are too insecure to identify a player on another team is a great hockey player. Thread after thread tearing everyone else down while propping up leaf players. Flip flopping on arguments depending on if a leaf is involved. One thread its more valuable to be a centerman the next with marner in it its not. One thread sayimg riellys numbers are sustainable then when chabot passes him its a fluke. Two years ago leafs rookies are lighting it up and the argument was despite it being early and unproven its sustainable. 2 years later Chabot is lucky and is unproven. Every single narrative you guys flip flop on depending on the situation the leaf player is in.

I really must ask you guys, whats the point? You are literally arguing against your selves. If you cant recognize you are doing this maybe you need a break. Its ok to watch talented players if they dont play for the leafs and enjoy hockey. I personally am in awe of Matthews insane shot and puck control, and marners creativity. I tune into leaf games all the time as they are very exciting. Then I come on here and read these posts and i shake my head.

Our boy Rielly has been doing this for 6 seasons before part of HF recognizes him as a top pairing d. You very well could have a flukey sophomore on your hands. To state that his start is sustainable is foolish, almost every single advanced stat points to this being a very unsustainable start for Chabot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You know its probably better to look at advanced stats then real production and with your own two eyes. Especially from people that appear to have never even played hockey.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Chabot:
CF: 47.9%
PDO: 102.5
Fen: 48.1%
oiSH%: 14.9%

Show me a stat that shows his start is sustainable or I’m not the pathetic one, bert.

edit: looks like I’m calling your pathetic, but you started this, mods edited it.

Last edited:

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017

Thomas Chabot (D) OTT Effective Depth Defenseman
14 games 252.7 minutes 18.051 minutes per game
Quality of Competition: -0.345 (QoC rel Corsi For %)
Offensive Deployment: 47.53 (% of starts in OZ)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CF%: 46.59 GF%: 48.57
CF/60: 60.07 GF/60: 4.036
CA/60: 68.85 GA/60: 4.274
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Chabot is getting 5th hardest matchups of Dmen on Ottawa behind Boro, Ceci, Jaros, and DeMelo.

He is also getting the third most Ozone starts of Ottawa Dmen, only 1% lower than #1.

No stat points to this being sustainable.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly Rielly vs Hedman is more of a poll. Both have size, skating, offense, Rielly is a beast on defense now.
Rielly's been better than Hedman prior to his injury this year thus far.

Rielly will be in the Norris talks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad