Prospect Info: Chabot - potential

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't think signing Chabot will be an issue.

I don't think signing Chabot will be the issue. If he continues to be stellar he'll get 7 mil probably. The issue is the budget, if the Sens have to pay Stone and Duchene 8 mil, and then Chabot and Tkachuk 7-8 mil after ELCs. It's not uncommon to have a team's four best players take up 30 million of the budget but could that work with Melnyk as the owner?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think signing Chabot will be the issue. If he continues to be stellar he'll get 7 mil probably. The issue is the budget, if the Sens have to pay Stone and Duchene 8 mil, and then Chabot and Tkachuk 7-8 mil after ELCs. It's not uncommon to have a team's four best players take up 30 million of the budget but could that work with Melnyk as the owner?

If we're going to pay Chabot, Ryan, Stone, and Duchene a combined 32M up to 2022, we have to be vigilante in not spending money on secondary guys, even if it hurts to lose them. That means trading away or opting not to re-sign players like Dzingel, Ceci, Smith, Tierney, Demelo, Pageau, and Boedker. We'd have to be willing to replace those guys with ELC/RFA talent.

We have almost no money on the books after 2020, so we're in a position to start almost fresh and only commit money to guys we strongly believe in. While I don't think the Smith contract was bad at the time, (in fact it was a bit of a discount) I think because of how vulnerable we are as a budget team to being derailed by bad contracts, it's just way too risky to be giving out money to secondary players when we could instead use them to accumulate draft picks in order to up our chances of landing ELC/RFA NHL talent to pad out our roster.

If we're going to be a budget team, we have to accept that we're never going to be consistent, and that each season has to be taken as a one off. Pay the stars who form a solid core, and capitalize on the seasons when our ELC/RFA talent comes through and everything clicks. By paying guys who weren't stars, we've ended up in log jams twice (once before the Phaneuf trade, and the one we were about to hit due to Karlsson that prompted this rebuild to avoid it). While we might not have as predictable or consistent of a team top to bottom by avoiding paying non-stars, we help ensure that short of another catastrophic Ryan like contract, we avoid those salary log jams and we have the flexibility to make moves season to season without having to walk away from and lose our real stars.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If we're going to pay Chabot, Ryan, Stone, and Duchene a combined 32M up to 2022, we have to be vigilante in not spending money on secondary guys, even if it hurts to lose them. That means trading away or opting not to re-sign players like Dzingel, Ceci, Smith, Tierney, Demelo, Pageau, and Boedker. We'd have to be willing to replace those guys with ELC/RFA talent.

We have almost no money on the books after 2020, so we're in a position to start almost fresh and only commit money to guys we strongly believe in. While I don't think the Smith contract was bad at the time, (in fact it was a bit of a discount) I think because of how vulnerable we are as a budget team to being derailed by bad contracts, it's just way too risky to be giving out money to secondary players when we could instead use them to accumulate draft picks in order to up our chances of landing ELC/RFA NHL talent to pad out our roster.

If we're going to be a budget team, we have to accept that we're never going to be consistent, and that each season has to be taken as a one off. Pay the stars who form a solid core, and capitalize on the seasons when our ELC/RFA talent comes through and everything clicks. By paying guys who weren't stars, we've ended up in log jams twice (once before the Phaneuf trade, and the one we were about to hit due to Karlsson that prompted this rebuild to avoid it). While we might not have as predictable or consistent of a team top to bottom by avoiding paying non-stars, we help ensure that short of another catastrophic Ryan like contract, we avoid those salary log jams and we have the flexibility to make moves season to season without having to walk away from and lose our real stars.

Let's hope.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He has elite potential as well as Norris potential at some point soon.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Love his game.

Our team could have paired him with EK to form the best pairing in the NHL or had them on separate pairs to have one of them on the ice for most of the 60 minutes.

Thanks Eugene!

Reactions: Liliaceae

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I try to be realistic but the more I see him play the more I can't help but think we have another Franchise Defenceman.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He’s been very good obviously. But still not as dynamic and exciting to watch as EK.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Karlsson on 1 pair for 30 minutes.
Chabot on the other pair for 30 minutes.
2019 Stanley Cup winners.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot really excels as a PP QB.. If Karlsson was here we would not have seen this as much because the same opportunity would not be there. As good and as dynamic , quick and fast as Karlsson could be, I think I like Chabot as the PP QB more.

Reactions: coladin and pzeeman

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Chabot really excels as a PP QB.. If Karlsson was here we would not have seen this as much because the same opportunity would not be there. As good and as dynamic , quick and fast as Karlsson could be, I think I like Chabot as the PP QB more.
Both could easily be deployed on the PP.

Having teams trying to pick their poison would make it even more lethal.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He’s been very good obviously. But still not as dynamic and exciting to watch as EK.

Comparing chabot this year to karlsson in his first norris year, the only thing karlsson does better, is his first 3 steps. Karlsson can explode away causing a one man break out. This leads to 3 on 2 or 2 on 1s. Those first 3 steps also lead to him catching up to guys on breakaways defensively. That being said, chabot's top speed seems to be very close. When chabot is going with the puck, he's blowing by everybody in the neutral zone with ease, like karlsson. I see chabot as more of a niedermayer in terms of skating, whereas karlsson was more like a bure. One is very explosive in small burts all over the ice, while the other is just so efficient and always first on the puck. Karlsson loved to be second on the puck and poke it away, almost to the point of gliding to pucks along the walls. Chabot seems to get there first.

Passing? up to that point, their passing seems very similar. You could even give an edge to chabot, as i don't think it's until karlsson slowed down that you saw him improve his long breakout passes.

Shooting? I think chabot is more effective with his shooting NOW however, karlsson used to be just as effective, if not more. But its very close here. Karlsson used to blast one timers with gonchar and alfredsson and it was magic. But the last couple years here it was constant fake slap passes. He seemed to almost never actually shoot to try to beat the goalie. Chabot just tries to flat out beat the goalie by letting it rip, more like karlssons first few seasons.

Stickhandling? Karlsson always had an amazing combination of skating and puck skills, but it's not until karlsson became a bonafide superstar that we started seeing cheeky dangles. We always saw stick skills, but it was the first 3 steps that blew us away. Sure, there were glimpses of dangles, but the through the legs datsyuk esque dangles came in season 3-4 and beyond for the most part. Chabot seems to love doing fakes and holds on to the puck smoothly. He, like early karlsson, seems to rely more on just skating around players instead of skating through them and slipping it betweeen their legs. But like karlsson, chabot should gain more confidence, and learn what he can get away with as the years go. We should notice more dangles from chabot in a couple years IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Both could easily be deployed on the PP.

Having teams trying to pick their poison would make it even more lethal.

What PP configuration do the Sens use? They would change that right because of the personnel right? Or they may have one QB 1 unit , the other QB the 2nd unit which imo is more likely... sorry if it doesn't slot right into your over arching agenda in every thread.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Comparing chabot this year to karlsson in his first norris year, the only thing karlsson does better, is his first 3 steps. Karlsson can explode away causing a one man break out. This leads to 3 on 2 or 2 on 1s. Those first 3 steps also lead to him catching up to guys on breakaways defensively. That being said, chabot's top speed seems to be very close. When chabot is going with the puck, he's blowing by everybody in the neutral zone with ease, like karlsson. I see chabot as more of a niedermayer in terms of skating, whereas karlsson was more like a bure. One is very explosive in small burts all over the ice, while the other is just so efficient and always first on the puck. Karlsson loved to be second on the puck and poke it away, almost to the point of gliding to pucks along the walls. Chabot seems to get there first.

Passing? up to that point, their passing seems very similar. You could even give an edge to chabot, as i don't think it's until karlsson slowed down that you saw him improve his long breakout passes.

Shooting? I think chabot is more effective with his shooting NOW however, karlsson used to be just as effective, if not more. But its very close here. Karlsson used to blast one timers with gonchar and alfredsson and it was magic. But the last couple years here it was constant fake slap passes. He seemed to almost never actually shoot to try to beat the goalie. Chabot just tries to flat out beat the goalie by letting it rip, more like karlssons first few seasons.

Stickhandling? Karlsson always had an amazing combination of skating and puck skills, but it's not until karlsson became a bonafide superstar that we started seeing cheeky dangles. We always saw stick skills, but it was the first 3 steps that blew us away. Sure, there were glimpses of dangles, but the through the legs datsyuk esque dangles came in season 3-4 and beyond for the most part. Chabot seems to love doing fakes and holds on to the puck smoothly. He, like early karlsson, seems to rely more on just skating around players instead of skating through them and slipping it betweeen their legs. But like karlsson, chabot should gain more confidence, and learn what he can get away with as the years go. We should notice more dangles from chabot in a couple years IMO.
I think Bobby Ryan nailed it when he said Chabot is more calculated in his decision making.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think Bobby Ryan nailed it when he said Chabot is more calculated in his decision making.

Wasn't that what we were expecting out of rundblad? Is chabot the rundblad we never had?

Karlsson was the explosive one. Rundblad was the chess player. One turned out. One didn't.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What PP configuration do the Sens use? They would change that right because of the personnel right? Or they may have one QB 1 unit , the other QB the 2nd unit which imo is more likely... sorry if it doesn't slot right into your over arching agenda in every thread.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that it isn't possible to construct a PP unit that takes advantage of both their skillsets?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I am seriously trying to suggest you have no idea what your talking about

So you are the one suggesting it would be terrible to have both Chabot and EK on the ice for a PP unit, yet you think I'm the one who has no idea what I'm talking about.

Too funny that you want to double down on this laughable opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So you are the one suggesting it would be terrible to have both Chabot and EK on the ice for a PP unit, yet you think I'm the one who has no idea what I'm talking about.

Too funny that you want to double down on this laughable opinion.
Arguing with you is like arguing with a little kid .. you take extreme positions and put words in peoples mouths. I am not going to engage with you any more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad