Jan 4, 2015
5 - Lindholm
6 - Monahan
17-Lazar
19-Rychel
22-Poirier
24-Shnikaruk
28-Klimchuk

7th first rounder from the 2013 draft to be acquired by the Flames.

I remember going into the draft and at the start of the 2012-13 season that this draft was really deep, etc. Then the year after I heard that 2014 sucked for depth and top end, now looking back only like 4-5 years after and 2014 is way deeper in the first round than the 2013 was. The 2013 had a good top 10 and then fell off a f***ing cliff. It's like every player who made the NHL right out of the 2013 draft are the only players that did anything (Mac, Sasha, Drouin, Jones, Elias, Mony, Nurse, Risto), only a few others who didn't make it have done anything (like Mantha and a few others).

Reactions: shello

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember going into the draft and at the start of the 2012-13 season that this draft was really deep, etc. Then the year after I heard that 2014 sucked for depth and top end, now looking back only like 4-5 years after and 2014 is way deeper in the first round than the 2013 was. The 2013 had a good top 10 and then fell off a ****ing cliff. It's like every player who made the NHL right out of the 2013 draft are the only players that did anything (Mac, Sasha, Drouin, Jones, Elias, Mony, Nurse, Risto), only a few others who didn't make it have done anything (like Mantha and a few others).
Issue with 2014 though, is while it has good players, most of the top 5 has been below the expected return for their given pick. The only one who compares well to the average player returned with their pick is Draisaitl. Ekblad and Reinhart, while good players are not 1st overall or 2nd overall quality players on average, Bennett is a clear disappointment at 4, and Dal Colle is on track to be one of the biggest busts of the 2010's. Even stretching to 6 and 7, those picks are below par even with the increased volatility for those picks. Now, Nylander, Ehlers, and Fiala are strong for their pick range, Larkin is a big land at 15, and Pastrnak is a home-run in the 20's. Once you get past the very top of the draft which si the first 10 to 15 picks they don't tend to have massive variances in return outside of a true outlier like 2003 which was one a fluke, and partially helped by changing college eligibility rules allowing for sometimes 2 years worth of USA/NCAA players in 1 draft (pretty sure this lasted from 2002 to 2004, until rules were cleaned up in the 2004/2005 CBA).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I hope he works out in Calgary. I am a fan of his. His skating needs work and there are rumors of entitlement stemming from his days as a Blue Jacket when he thought he should be playing more but I think he has matured.

Reactions: iSophagus

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Haven't followed Rychel much since the draft. Shinkaruk is not a bust, but I don't see an NHL future for him. He doesn't really have any strengths. He is not fast, he is not gritty, he doesn't have great vision, he doesn't have much of a shot... I didn't like him at the draft at all, was glad that Calgary passed on him, and then Calgary traded for him. In his NHL games, I didn't really see much there - as mentioned before, no real strength to stand-out in any role. He isn't terrible at any of the above, just not good enough at any one of them to carve-out an NHL career, IMO. If this isn't a wake-up call for him, nothing else will be.

Sounds like Rychel is pretty much in the same boat, but at least he has 4th line upside at this time with his grit. Pretty meh trade, but still interesting considering they were 1st round picks in the same draft, and that Rychel is buddies with Monahan. Don't think either team got hosed today, and I would be shocked if down the road it changed that sentiment.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I remember going into the draft and at the start of the 2012-13 season that this draft was really deep, etc. Then the year after I heard that 2014 sucked for depth and top end, now looking back only like 4-5 years after and 2014 is way deeper in the first round than the 2013 was. The 2013 had a good top 10 and then fell off a ****ing cliff. It's like every player who made the NHL right out of the 2013 draft are the only players that did anything (Mac, Sasha, Drouin, Jones, Elias, Mony, Nurse, Risto), only a few others who didn't make it have done anything (like Mantha and a few others).
I think Jets, Jackets ( with Wennberg) ”Vegas” are extremly happy with their 2013 pick besides the Wings

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think Jets, Jackets ( with Wennberg) ”Vegas” are extremly happy with their 2013 pick besides the Wings

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I remember when Shinkaruk was highly touted. Could still carve out an NHL career as a bottom 6 energy guy.
I remember when Canucks fans were losing their minds that they traded him for Granlund. After the one preseason game where he put the puck past the goaltender from the goal line he was touted as some amazing sniper off one goal. Then he got traded and everyone screamed bloody murder around these parts because he was putting up AHL points and had only gotten 1 call up for 6 minutes of ice time and everyone wanted the coaching staff to burn in hell for that. I just remember one of the Utica guys came on and said he only scored AHL caliber goals and it would never translate to NHL goals and obviously it worked out that way for him. People put so much emphasis on AHL points while not all points are equal to NHL production.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
idk if Montreal really has a big lack of talent but I could see Shinkaruk score 30 points with top 6 deployment and juicy PP time

On the wing there are a dozen guys ahead of him.

Is there any rumors about Rychel behind the scenes regarding attitude or whatnot? His AHL and NHL (for how much he has actually played) numbers seem solid.

He is a lot like Sergei Kostitsyn.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kerby Rychel is listed at 6'1". No wonder he never fit in with MTL.

Gionta_sm.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Neither guys will be NHLers.

Calgary needs decent bodies in the AHL, as their team will be one of the youngest overall again. Rychel fits the mood a bit better than Hunter.

You could maybe squeeze a 4th line role for Kerby... Hunter wasn’t built for that type of role.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Haven't followed Rychel much since the draft. Shinkaruk is not a bust, but I don't see an NHL future for him. He doesn't really have any strengths. He is not fast, he is not gritty, he doesn't have great vision, he doesn't have much of a shot... I didn't like him at the draft at all, was glad that Calgary passed on him, and then Calgary traded for him. In his NHL games, I didn't really see much there - as mentioned before, no real strength to stand-out in any role. He isn't terrible at any of the above, just not good enough at any one of them to carve-out an NHL career, IMO. If this isn't a wake-up call for him, nothing else will be.

Sounds like Rychel is pretty much in the same boat, but at least he has 4th line upside at this time with his grit. Pretty meh trade, but still interesting considering they were 1st round picks in the same draft, and that Rychel is buddies with Monahan. Don't think either team got hosed today, and I would be shocked if down the road it changed that sentiment.

Ummm.. He was drafted 24th OA and doesn't belong in the NHL as you've pointed out, but isn't a bust? Explain to me what a bust is.

Reactions: Chr1s97

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Neither guys will be NHLers.

Calgary needs decent bodies in the AHL, as their team will be one of the youngest overall again. Rychel fits the mood a bit better than Hunter.

You could maybe squeeze a 4th line role for Kerby... Hunter wasn’t built for that type of role.

Decent competition for Lazar at the very least

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A bust is a late first rounder who doesn’t even get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Check out the careers of most 24 OA’s
I won't call Shinkaruk a bust yet because he's still too young IMO. But, I would definitely call a 1st rounder that can't carve out an NHL career a bust (say 200 NHL games, health permitting).

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Drouin didn’t immediately make it btw, otherwise good post

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
So, Rychel wanted an NHL only contract, while Shinkaruk doesn't mind a two-way contract because... he'll surely play in the minors anyway...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, Rychel wanted an NHL only contract, while Shinkaruk doesn't mind a two-way contract because... he'll surely play in the minors anyway...
What are you talking about? Rychel signed a two-way deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad