Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Hunter Shinkaruk for Kerby Rychel

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I remember suggesting the idea for Poirier for Rychel with MTL. Both seemed like guys who might see a slight glimmer playing closer to home after being nearly as far from home as possible since their draft.

Shinkaruk for Rychel isn't too far off that original idea I guess? Especially if the Shin to Europe mentions are true. Shrink seems more like a top 9 or bust prospect. Rychel looks like he can do ok on the 4th line. No idea what Shinks odds look like, but Rychel is far closer to home in Stockton and I believe he's fighting for 4th line LW with Mangiapane and Klimchuk. Though he's still super close to being totally done at the NHL level, this new scenario might give him a slight skip in his step before he totally fizzles out.

Here's hoping we can salvage something from these dying embers of Rychel's career. Positive or negative, I don't have much to say about Shink.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Obviously not a big trade lol. Calgary must feel more comfortable with Rachel I'd they get hit hard with injuries than Shinkaruk. I'm guessing because Rychels game suits the bottom 6 of the roster more. Would be surprised if he played more games in the NhL this year than he did last uear

Can any Habs fans chime in on what they think Shinkaruk adds? Maybe just hoping one last change of scenery does it for him?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Honestly Shinkaruk could be Markus Granlund esque on a team that really doesn't have the talent to bury him in the AHL.

idk if Montreal really has a big lack of talent but I could see Shinkaruk score 30 points with top 6 deployment and juicy PP time

Only problem is that someone actually good would probably score 50+ points with the same opportunity

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I know I cant really throw stones while sitting in a glass house...but everyone of those besides Monahan has become a bust or is heading that route....yikes.

Klimchuk might have a chance at the NHL maybe as a tweener...
It was a pretty thin draft.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
OT - Shinkaruk is one of the examples of why I don't miss TSN's televised draft. He's falling from Bob's list... the travesty.. the horror... brilliant pick.. steal of the draft. Tune in again next year for the exact same drama.

Reactions: Sensators

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
rychel is to slow for the nhl to be effective and his thought processing is average. Ahl depth player like colin greening.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is there any rumors about Rychel behind the scenes regarding attitude or whatnot? His AHL and NHL (for how much he has actually played) numbers seem solid.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Another change of scenery trade. Perhaps this one works out. Rychel will amount to nothing more than a 4th liner for our squad

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
5 - Lindholm
6 - Monahan
17-Lazar
19-Rychel
22-Poirier
24-Shnikaruk
28-Klimchuk

7th first rounder from the 2013 draft to be acquired by the Flames.

gives fans an idea what it might be like if a team went draft pick crazy and picked up 6-7 picks in the same draft year...

building through the draft sometimes works... but you still got to pick the right guys. theres a ton of guys taken every year in the first round that don't have very good careers

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
man i remember watching the 2013 draft thinking VAN got an absolute steal in Shinkaruk

So did I. He absolutely ripped up the WHL. But I guess he never got over the injuries and others passed him by. He's pretty much useless on the bottom 6, so it was top 6 or bust.

Desjardins/Linden were trying to recreate the 2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers on the Canucks, with Etem, Vey and Shink. That worked out well! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad