Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] James Neal (5 years, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Say what you want about the contract, but the Flames desperately needed a top 6 caliber winger.
I imagine Neal will be in reinvigorated potentially playing with Gaudreau / Monahan or even Tkachuk.
Nice get for the Flames.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Ehh fair enough, but at the same time he typically misses ~10 games a year. He's a good fit for Calgary, but I don't see him crack 25/50, unless he starts taking time away from Tkachuk. He's just not that player anymore, as neither Johansson/the Nashville defence or the Mitas Touch of Vegas could get him over the hump.

Where's he expected to line up? Top line RW, or with Bennett and Janikowski on the 3rd. From the outside it looks like he's stepping into the role Jagr was supposed to fill.

Johnny-Monahan-Neal
Chucky-Lindholm-Bennett
Janko-Backlund-Frolik

That is a pretty nice top 9. Also have guys like D. Ryan, Foo that should slot in as well.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I fail to see how this is a bad contract, he has never scored anything less than 20 goals a season. All these armchair GM's coming out of the woodwork thinking they know more than those who actually offer the contracts is laughable.
You know you are playing armchair GM as well. They are called opinions and you are getting upset that people are disagreeing with you.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Except he hasn't broken 50 points or passed 25 goals in either of his last two seasons (3 of his last 4) playing on good teams in LV and NASH.
Don't know about who was his center in vegas but I know the last year in Nashville he was lined with jarnkrok for half the year. The beginning of the year he was with Joey and forsberg and he was tearing it up until he got hurt and they put arvi with Joey and forsberg. So when Neal came back he was centered by jarnkrok who isn't even a center anymore. And his numbers dropped because of it. I think if the flames put him with a good center he will be worth the contract. I think it's a good add

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So will his skating stay the same, along with effort? Doubt it. He is the type of player who mails it in when times get rough, but is undoubtedly top 6 material. I think the league employs lots of people like him.

His skating's never been very good and he was 3rd in goal-scoring for the Knights in the playoffs last year.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
He's a slow player who will only get slower. I thought it was pretty obvious what was being said. I don't see him as a good fit for a speedy guy.

Monahan isn't the fastest guy on ice either and look at how he plays with Johnny.

Johnny is a possession type of guy where he enters the zone and often stalls the play until the other guys join the offensive zone.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Nice signing, Calgary. I think you should be a playoff team.

With all the other deals this offseason, I am optimistic. Need Smith to play like he did last year.

Another big factor is Gio/Brodie pairing. If they play like they did 2 years ago, I don't see how we don't make the post season. We will see...

Reactions: clunk

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Say what you want about the contract, but the Flames desperately needed a top 6 caliber winger.
I imagine Neal will be in reinvigorated potentially playing with Gaudreau / Monahan or even Tkachuk.
Nice get for the Flames.

Pretty sure he was reinvigorated last season in Vegas along with everyone else on the team. If he couldn’t get cranked up for what happened with the Knights last year then he sure as heck won’t be in Calgary. What we saw last year was Neal at his best.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Makes the Flames a better team than they were yesterday. I wouldn’t say they’re contenders though and need a bunch of things to go right to be more than a bubble team.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Pretty sure he was reinvigorated last season in Vegas along with everyone else on the team. If he couldn’t get ranked up for what happened with the Knights last year then he sure as heck won’t be in Calgary.

Never know with a new team. I believe he can easily get 25 playing opposite Gaudreau. Flames desperately needed players with that shooting mentality.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I have a Loui Eriksson feeling about that one. Hope for Calgary I'm wrong. At least, term is a bit shorter and cap has risen since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad