Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] James Neal (5 years, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
5 years is long but that AAV is actually really good. By the end of this contract 5.75 is probably going to be the going rate for third liners anyway with the way the cap is going. Considering it was a UFA deal this isn't so bad at all and gives the Flames a much needed scorer. As an Avs fan, I'm kinda jealous.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
People are gonna look at this and see five years and think that's awful, and it's not great. But the Flames aren't playing from an advantage here. It's not exactly a secret they need goal scoring. Sucks but I think 25 extra goals from Neal will be worth it

Where does he probably slot in though? 3rd line? If he's only putting up 25 goals/40-45pts, feel your GM should have went after Grabner.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
If this is true, this isn't a bad deal. After 3 years or so, if we need to trade him, it wouldn't be hard. Assuming his body doesn't wear out (his style is pretty rough), we could eat 1-2 mil and trade him pretty easily if needed.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Flames needed scoring RWs...and they got one. Neal's game won't really decline as he has never been fast. He will be good for 20 goals untill he is like 38. He needs no time to get a shot off.

Give him a lot of Ozone starts.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Kinda surprised. Thought Neal would like to go to a contender since he doesn’t have a cup and it’s his last contact, but clearly he prefers $.

Don’t really see the fit unless he’s on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau, he’ll be useless on the second line.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Kinda surprised. Thought Neal would like to go to a contender since he doesn’t have a cup and it’s his last contact, but clearly he prefers $.

Don’t really see the fit unless he’s on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau, he’ll be useless on the second line.
He was always going to a team that tolerates his dumb 5-6 year demands.
40-50 point player for 5.75 AAV isn't the best value but meh the cap might rise and Neal might learn to produce better.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Neal's a bit washed up for that contract.

Best of luck to the Flames, my dad lived out in Alberta and worked as an usher for both the Oilers and Flames during his free time. Got a lot of Flames stuff from that and always enjoyed watching the Flames as my late night game.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Also, maybe the 5x5 offer from Vegas wasn’t true? Would be surprised if just .75 over 5 was the deal breaker considering Vegas is a contender and he already has friends on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad