Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] James Neal (5 years, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Kinda surprised. Thought Neal would like to go to a contender since he doesn’t have a cup and it’s his last contact, but clearly he prefers $.

Don’t really see the fit unless he’s on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau, he’ll be useless on the second line.

Supposedly Buffalo was offering him more money (it came down to Buffalo or Calgary according to a couple people). But he ended up in Calgary (I think we offered him 1 year more). I'd like to say it was Mike Commodore who helped sell him on Calgary as well.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Neal's a bit washed up for that contract.

Best of luck to the Flames, my dad lived out in Alberta and worked as an usher for both the Oilers and Flames during his free time. Got a lot of Flames stuff from that and always enjoyed watching the Flames as my late night game.

How is Neal washed up?

He's been consistently a 50 point, 25+goal player for the past 7 seasons.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Supposedly Buffalo was offering him more money (it came down to Buffalo or Calgary according to a couple people). But he ended up in Calgary (I think we offered him 1 year more). I'd like to say it was Mike Commodore who helped sell him on Calgary as well.
I think it was more Mike Smith, I think they played together in Dallas. But Commodore no doubt influenced him through social media. ;)

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I think it was more Mike Smith, I think they played together in Dallas. But Commodore no doubt influenced him through social media. ;)

Commodore had called into the Fan960 talking about how he was campaigning Neal to come to Calgary since the playoffs ended. Apparently Neal and Commodore are pretty good friends as well.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Kinda surprised. Thought Neal would like to go to a contender since he doesn’t have a cup and it’s his last contact, but clearly he prefers $.

Don’t really see the fit unless he’s on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau, he’ll be useless on the second line.

That slots is wide open for him to take

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Lots of moves by Calgary this offseason, what do the lines look like now?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That seems like a steep contract, but he's a pretty good fit for the Flames if he can keep scoring.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
How is Neal washed up?

He's been consistently a 50 point, 25+goal player for the past 7 seasons.

Hes on a decline and I would only expect his production to remain at what it is for another 2 seasons or so. He didn't look like the same player to me when I saw him this year.

If this was a 3 year deal I'd say this is great, but its not.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Except he hasn't broken 50 points in either of his last two seasons (3 of his last 4) playing on good teams in LV and NASH.

I mean that's just a bit misleading with him missing 12 and 11 games over tha past two seasons

He had 25G and 44P in 71 games.

The year before he had 23G and 41P in 70 games.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
This is a slightly more productive Troy Brauwer. One thing I would be extremely worried about is that Neals +- is horrendous, even while playing on cup final teams. Most of his assists are from the PP also.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
Not super happy about the contract, mostly because of the term, but I think Neal is a good player and should be worth the value of it for at least 3 years. Most of all, Neal is the PERFECT compliment to Gaudreau-Monahan.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
This is a slightly more productive Troy Brauwer. One thing I would be extremely worried about is that Neals +- is horrendous, even while playing on cup final teams. Most of his assists are from the PP also.

Thankfully, Flames need improvement in their PP personnel as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Awful term. Neal's skating has fallen off quite a bit already. What the heck is the guy going to look like at 36? Is the NHL going to allow skaters to use walkers on the ice?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Hes on a decline and I would only expect his production to remain at what it is for another 2 seasons or so. He didn't look like the same player to me when I saw him this year.

If this was a 3 year deal I'd say this is great, but its not.
He's 30.............31 when season starts. Plenty of time left in him. I have a good feeling he will enjoy getting fed solid chances to score by Gaudreau. Especially on the PP.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Term meh, value good (taking UFA into consideration and the current cap).

Could be worse, now lets see him produce reasonably for the next 3 seasons minimum. Should be a good mentor-type for Tkachuk and Bennett as well.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Value good, but not a fan of that term. He’s gonna be a 3rd line type producer by the last couple years of the contract, I’d bet. It will be fine for the first 2-3 years, though.

Reactions: JBeast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad