Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] James Neal (5 years, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He's 30.............31 when season starts. Plenty of time left in him. I have a good feeling he will enjoy getting fed solid chances to score by Gaudreau. Especially on the PP.

You are holding a 50 pt 31 year old player to a very high standard for the next 5 years. He isn't the same player anymore. If it was 3 years I think it is fine.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
23 goals in 70 games is very good top 6 production. Yes.

People just look at his age and $/Yr... Don't bother.

As a Flames fan, I am happy we finally have someone that is 'shoot first' mentality. I firmly believe he can be the Stall of this coming season where he gets 40G [IF ON THE LINE WITH JOHNNY]

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
You are holding a 50 pt 31 year old player to a very high standard for the next 5 years. He isn't the same player anymore. If it was 3 years I think it is fine.
I mean look at Marleau. I'm not turning this on the Leafs but this Neal contract simply is not bad. The Flames need scoring and guys that will shoot the damn puck and hit the net.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I fail to see how this is a bad contract, he has never scored anything less than 20 goals a season. All these armchair GM's coming out of the woodwork thinking they know more than those who actually offer the contracts is laughable.
It’s not difficult to see he’s already started to lose a step, people are just assuming the natural progression of that will cause this contract to sour in the last couple years. Pretty simple.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Yes, with ONE season of the past four having seen more than 44 points scored.

Neal is a complimentary player, you set him up and he spikes it down, he doesn’t make room for himself but if he has linemates that can find him open, he will score.

Over that 4 year span, he was on a 40 goal pace with Johansen. Other than Johansen, his centers were 3rd line centers AT BEST. They were Jarnkrok, Haula, and the ghost of Mike Fisher.

If he plays on the top line in Calgary, he’ll be great, otherwise expect another subpar 20-20 season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Solid deal for a guy whose biggest weapon (his shot) is going to be with him 'til the end of the deal. If he can carve out some space on PP1, he'll put up some decent numbers.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I mean look at Marleau. I'm not turning this on the Leafs but this Neal contract simply is not bad. The Flames need scoring and guys that will shoot the damn puck and hit the net.

The Marleau contract was for 3 years to a guy who hasnt missed a game in like 8 seasons. If it was 5 years I'd be scared too. I thought the Leafs should have gone 2 years and I think most Leaf fans will say a 3rd year is bad but the point is people were comfortable with Marleau for 2 years but not 3. At this point Marleau is doing exactly was he was signed to do.

So again, I think Neal for 3 years is a good deal. Neal for 5 years means you are eating 2 years at a point where the Flames need to be competitive. Its a lot harder to sell off 2 years of a contract instead of just 1.

Its never so much about the cap number as it is the term. You can eat almost any 1 year bad deal and be fine.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Sportsnet is reporting this as Confirmed, same with Elliotte Friedman

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I mean that's just a bit misleading with him missing 12 and 11 games over tha past two seasons

He had 25G and 44P in 71 games.

The year before he had 23G and 41P in 70 games.

Ehh fair enough, but at the same time he typically misses ~10 games a year. He's a good fit for Calgary, but I don't see him crack 25/50, unless he starts taking time away from Tkachuk. He's just not that player anymore, as neither Johansson/the Nashville defence or the Mitas Touch of Vegas could get him over the hump.

Where's he expected to line up? Top line RW, or with Bennett and Janikowski on the 3rd. From the outside it looks like he's stepping into the role Jagr was supposed to fill.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
People just look at his age and $/Yr... Don't bother.

As a Flames fan, I am happy we finally have someone that is 'shoot first' mentality. I firmly believe he can be the Stall of this coming season where he gets 40G [IF ON THE LINE WITH JOHNNY]

Actually, most of us look at how his skating has declined year after year (over the last few) and THEN his age.

He actually is closer to Stalling than he would be to skating at this point.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Solid deal for a guy whose biggest weapon (his shot) is going to be with him 'til the end of the deal. If he can carve out some space on PP1, he'll put up some decent numbers.
So will his skating stay the same, along with effort? Doubt it. He is the type of player who mails it in when times get rough, but is undoubtedly top 6 material. I think the league employs lots of people like him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Bit surprised he turned down 5x5 from Vegas and now settles for 5x5.75 with CGY...

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That's a good deal. 5 years is a while, but these days unloading contracts with high numbers isn't really an issue. Retain $2M after 3 years and you'll get a pretty value.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
cap is a little high, length is a little long, par for the course for a UFA signing.

so since we desperately needed this...

giphy.gif

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
5 years is long but that AAV is actually really good. By the end of this contract 5.75 is probably going to be the going rate for third liners anyway with the way the cap is going. Considering it was a UFA deal this isn't so bad at all and gives the Flames a much needed scorer. As an Avs fan, I'm kinda jealous.

You think the young rate for 3rd liners is going to jump from 2.5m to nearly 6m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad