Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Dude, you literally have no idea what you're talking about. :laugh:

Neal barely played with Top Players in Calgary, shocker that you wouldn't know that...

So that's it, eh? When Neal bounces back you'll say it's because of McDavid and not because he's a good player. Got it. Very weak.

Embarrassing Cloudy, embarrassing.

I can't wait to come back to this at the end of the year.
To be fair if Neal is placed on McDavid's line and only bounces back to 20 to 25 goals I will attribute it to McDavid (ie Chaisson scored 22 and Maroon 27 playing on his wing) he elevates the play of his linemates its why he gets paid 12.5 M per year and is identified as generational and is the best or 2nd best player in the league.

If Neal gets 35+ goals then its a different story and its a combination of a good player having a down year who also receives a bump from playing with McDavid

Reactions: deltawing

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Aside from having 2 of the best players in the game and a great 2C in RNH... the Oilers have actually made a lot of tweaks to their secondary scoring. Neal, Granlund, Benson, Archibald, Chiasson, Gagner is actually a decent group.

The narrative that they're slow is also overblown, especially now that their slowest player has been shipped off.

I'm not worried about the D either. Their young stars back there are getting better and they have incredible and elite depth coming in short order.

While I'd love to add one more player with 20g potential, my only major concern is goaltending.
They've made some depth moves, but they do not necessarily make them any better. I agree that Benson is going to be a good player. The rest are not likely going to be much of an improvement.

Chiasson and Gagner were around last year. Chiasson is better suited for a 3rd line on a good team. Gagner is better suited for the AHL.

Granlund is better than what you had last year. He's going to frustrate the hell out of you if you expect any consistency.

Archibald is a 3rd/4th line player, but again he won't provide much. He's added depth.

Neal is going to score more than Lucic. He's unlikely to ever be a legit top 6 forward again. He's too slow and doesn't really seem to care anymore.

So moves have been made, but nothing overly impactful has been done roster-wise. I don't see Edmonton doing much next season unless they make some more moves. These moves remind me of when the Leafs were signing Mason Raymond, PA Parenteau, etc. and putting them in roles above their abilities. Sure, they had good seasons statistically. They didn't make an actual impact on the team though.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
To be fair if Neal is placed on McDavid's line and only bounces back to 20 to 25 goals I will attribute it to McDavid (ie Chaisson scored 22 and Maroon 27 playing on his wing) he elevates the play of his linemates its why he gets paid 12.5 M per year and is identified as generational and is the best or 2nd best player in the league.

If Neal gets 35+ goals then its a different story and its a combination of a good player having a down year who also receives a bump from playing with McDavid
So if Neal puts up 25 this year, he deserves no credit because McDavid. Even though he is done like some people are saying he should be able to pot 25 in the National Hockey League.

HF logic, got it.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
This is ridiculous. Are people seriously trying to say that this is a bad deal for the Oilers. Just a few days ago the same people were ranting about how bad Lucic is, and how he's the worst contract in the league.

- Neal is much better
- Neal is a much better fit on the Oilers
- Neal is a much better buyout
- Neal does not have a NMC
- Neal's had 1 bad year, not 2
- He's friends with McDavid, and played well with him in the all-star game 2 years ago.
- Neal played well under Tippet before.

Anyone saying that its a loss for the Oilers is kidding themselves.
I’ll admit I thought Lucic was untradeable. But this is far from a bad trade for the Oil. It could work out for both teams but I think the likeliest scenario is that it works out much better for the Oil than he flames

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This is ridiculous. Are people seriously trying to say that this is a bad deal for the Oilers. Just a few days ago the same people were ranting about how bad Lucic is, and how he's the worst contract in the league.

- Neal is much better
- He's friends with McDavid, and played well with him in the all-star game 2 years ago.

Seriously. I like the Flames and despise the Oilers, but man did they ever make out like bandits here. The Oilets didnt even have the courtesy to take them out for dinner before screwing the Flames.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Flames did it because they had to add some much-needed toughness to their team. They were the softest team in the league last season.

Maybe they're hoping Lucic somehow gets back to even 50% of his Boston days. Idk why else flames do this lmao.

Jame neal on the other hand looks like he wasnt even trying and just flat out sucks. But Oilers hoping he finds his offensive touch with Mcdavid?

Lol but let be real. Neal is gonna be off Mcdavid's line in about a week. No way Neal can keep up with McDavid's speeed

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

- Neal is much better

I think it helps both teams, the Oilers have a lot of toughness but needed scoring help, the Flames had a lot of scoring but needed toughness. But Hfboards will never understand that, it is out of their understanding (it is like teaching implied pot odds in poker to my uncle, after two months, he never understood the concept.)

I think Flames might have more trades lined up, as well as the Oilers.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Flames did it because they had to add some much-needed toughness to their team. They were the softest team in the league last season.

Maybe they're hoping Lucic somehow gets back to even 50% of his Boston days. Idk why else flames do this lmao.

Jame neal on the other hand looks like he wasnt even trying and just flat out sucks. But Oilers hoping he finds his offensive touch with Mcdavid?

Lol but let be real. Neal is gonna be off Mcdavid's line in about a week. No way Neal can keep up with McDavid's speeed
Whoop D doo.. even if Neal is off McDavids line he will certainly be in the top 6.
Lucic would not have cracked the Oilers lineup.

Hope he works out for Flames but let's not pretend that Oilers lost this deal.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Probably the same way Maroon couldn't score 27 goals on McDavid's wing.

Very good arguement OVO.

Neal and Peters hated each other, something that I think people don't take into account as much as they should. Tippett knows him, Tippett likes him.

Boy, I can't wait for this crow.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
This trade was as simply as two teams coming together with Bad Contracts and saying...

Calgary: We need toughness. We'll take Lucic.
Edmonton: We need a bit more offensive firepower and bit more skill. We'll take neal.

But the fact of the matter is, both players are ass and wont help either team that much any way.

Lucic will most likely win a couple of fights to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's a borderline 4th line player.

Neal might pot a couple of goals to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's slow, shows no effort 75% of the time, doesnt play team defense...and will likely be 4th line player moving forward as well

Reactions: mouz135

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This trade was as simply as two teams coming together with Bad Contracts and saying...

Calgary: We need toughness. We'll take Lucic.
Edmonton: We need a bit more offensive firepower and bit more skill. We'll take neal.

But the fact of the matter is, both players are ass and wont help either team that much any way.

Lucic will most likely win a couple of fights to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's a borderline 4th line player.

Neal might pot a couple of goals to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's slow, shows no effort 75% of the time, doesnt play team defense...and will likely be 4th line player moving forward as well
I have no idea why you're doing this to yourself.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Probably the same way Maroon couldn't score 27 goals on McDavid's wing.

Very good arguement OVO.

Neal and Peters hated each other, something that I think people don't take into account as much as they should. Tippett knows him, Tippett likes him.

Boy, I can't wait for this crow.

How many mediocre players outside of Maroon scored 27 goals playing beside Mcdavid? Draisaitle obviously doesnt count

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
5 percent is not every chance. Every chance is McDavid dragging along Lucic's corpse for a year and on the PP while he lost the puck over and over. You sound like Oiler fans after the Hall trade. This is one of the worst trades of the last 5 years, if only because Neal can be bought our, Lucic cannot.
It's garbage for garbage. This is not one of the worst trades in the last 5 years. Not even close dude.

If you want to look at top 5 bad trades, pretty sure Larsson for Hall straight across is #1 worst trade of the last 5 years. Easy what u say tonto

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It's garbage for garbage. This is not one of the worst trades in the last 5 years. Not even close dude.

If you want to look at top 5 bad trades, pretty sure Larsson for Hall straight across is #1 worst trade of the last 5 years. Easy what u say tonto

Pretty much this.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

- Neal is much better

I agree with your posts but this one could be left out we all know that it means nothing. Its a 3 on 3 no defense tournament where half the guys are trying fancy dekes to get the fans going.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Their expansion draft scenario looks horrendous now too. Not sure who they will lose, but it'll be someone good

I'm not sure it does. As one Flames fan posted earlier in this thread, they likely aren't protecting 37 (will be 38 to start the season) year old Giordano who would have 1 year left on his deal. Here's what the flames fan said:

Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Dube, Bennett, Backlund

Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson

I would hope/think that Kylington is dealt before then but if we lose him no big loss at all. So Lucic would potentially have us losing an older Backlund which wouldnt be the end of the world but it would be much better to keep Backlund and lose whatever other player we would have to expose that wouldn't hurt at all.

Either they lose an older Backlund or Kylington (who wouldn't be protected in this scenario with or without Lucic). It's not very horrendous.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
How many mediocre players outside of Maroon scored 27 goals playing beside Mcdavid? Draisaitle obviously doesnt count
Chiasson had a pretty good season this year. 13 more goals than in 2017-18.

I'm not sure if you forgot, but McDavid has only been in the league for 4 years, and only played 287 regular season games

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Doesn't matter to me if Neal gets his goals with McDavid. Lucic certainly didn't any goals with Mcdcvid. I'd look at that as a plus.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
My only worry is that Neal is bad in the locker room and can cause rifts, I have no proof of that other than rumors and what guys on sportsnet/TSN shows have said. Same goes for Mike Smith.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they think James Neal is gonna score 25+ goals playing with McDavid next season. I'll definitely eat crow if that happens.

They've been convincing themselves that any wing player playing besides McDavid will be elite ever Since Maroon's cat out of the hat trick

Reactions: mvp1977

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Chiasson had a pretty good season this year. 13 more goals than in 2017-18.

I'm not sure if you forgot, but McDavid has only been in the league for 4 years, and only played 287 regular season games

I mean that fine and dandy...all Im saying is that Neal wont be that wing player you guys desperately need beside McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad