Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
This is ridiculous. Are people seriously trying to say that this is a bad deal for the Oilers. Just a few days ago the same people were ranting about how bad Lucic is, and how he's the worst contract in the league.

- Neal is much better
- Neal is a much better fit on the Oilers
- Neal is a much better buyout
- Neal does not have a NMC
- Neal's had 1 bad year, not 2
- He's friends with McDavid, and played well with him in the all-star game 2 years ago.
- Neal played well under Tippet before.

Anyone saying that its a loss for the Oilers is kidding themselves.

Did you just bring up playing well in the all star? Are you f***ing kidding me?

Reactions: mouz135 and mvp1977

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
They took on a buyout proof contract with a NMC. Gave away a player that can be bought out relatively cheap and doesn't have a NMC. Not to mention the player they gave away can still bounce back whereas the player they received is barely a 4th liner anymore.

Even if Neal gets waived and go's to the AHL, it's still a fleecing for Edmonton.
Only an Oilers fan would think paying a player $6 mill plus to play in the AHL is a good move.

Want to talk about " barely 4th line players", Edmonton's roster has an abundance of them still, including James Neal.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I think Neal can rebound to his 20+. Key word CAN, will he? Let’s place our bets. Neal is an enigma in a way. When he was in Pittsburgh he’d have a string of games where anytime he had the puck on his stick he was the most dangerous player on the ice, you’d see goalies front up to him and be shaken by him attack after attack. Then you see a string of pedestrian games where he’d just literally walk the half wall and lob it to center for multiple shifts hoping for a pick up. He is an incredibly bipolar player, maybe even one of the most hot or cold players I’ve ever seen in a Pens uniform. That being said I didn’t follow him to hard after he left Pittsburgh, I can only comment on how he was here. But I will say if you get him motivated his release is deadly. But if he is passive, you’ll be infinitely frustrated by him.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
They gave up a slumping player for one of the worst in the league with a huge contract and NMC.
They traded a terrible player for a terrible player. One has an NMC and slightly lower cap hit, the other has a contract that can be bought out if you want to have 2 mil on the books for 8 years.

It's pretty meh all around. Win for Edmonton as far as getting rid of their public enemy #1 but there's no reason to pretend what they replaced him with will be any better

Reactions: mvp1977

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
They gave up a slumping player for one of the worst in the league with a huge contract and NMC.
And James Neal doesn't have a huge contract? Oiler fans acting like they just recieved the second coming of Christ, in the form of a worn out James Neal. Laughable

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
I think Neal can rebound to his 20+. Key word CAN, will he? Let’s place our bets. Neal is an enigma in a way. When he was in Pittsburgh he’d have a string of games where anytime he had the puck on his stick he was the most dangerous player on the ice, you’d see goalies front up to him and be shaken by him attack after attack. Then you see a string of pedestrian games where he’d just literally walk the half wall and lob it to center for multiple shifts hoping for a pick up. He is an incredibly bipolar player, maybe even one of the most hot or cold players I’ve ever seen in a Pens uniform. That being said I didn’t follow him to hard after he left Pittsburgh, I can only comment on how he was here. But I will say if you get him motivated his release is deadly. But if he is passive, you’ll be infinitely frustrated by him.
I agree, but that's was then, while in Pitt. Fast forward years later to the present time

Ementy

May 11, 2010
This trade was as simply as two teams coming together with Bad Contracts and saying...

Calgary: We need toughness. We'll take Lucic.
Edmonton: We need a bit more offensive firepower and bit more skill. We'll take neal.

But the fact of the matter is, both players are ass and wont help either team that much any way.

Lucic will most likely win a couple of fights to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's a borderline 4th line player.

Neal might pot a couple of goals to appeal to the fanbase. But they'll soon figure out he's slow, shows no effort 75% of the time, doesnt play team defense...and will likely be 4th line player moving forward as well

1. he is friends with Mc David

2. He trains with Mc David

3. Mc David has publicly stated if you dont wanna be here or play hard, you can leave.

4. Neal knows all of this

5. Neal knows there is opportunity for ice time, but I bet he will just show no effort, because I am sure he wants to retire viewed as a bum.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013

That's a pretty good description. Nowadays though he's sure not motivated. He spent the entire season 'passive' and pouty last year. Wouldn't battle for the puck and flubbed it away if it did manage to come near him

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Wait till Neal's switch is turned on and you notice his batteries are dead. That will be your nice surprise

Doesn't matter to me, Lucic gave the Oilers nothing, if Neal does nothing, its a still a win for me. He can still be bought out and we don't have to protect for the Expansion Draft, not to mention don't give up a 3rd. There is no Scenario in which Oilers, or Oil fans will regret this trade. Lucic said so himself in his new interview that he couldn't be the player Edmonton needed, a leader, point producer and physical presence. He was a waste of a roster spot. He brought nothing to the Oilers.

Even if he turned it around in Calgary, Edmonton still wins.

Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->