Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
its definitely for a trash for trash trade. The Oilers come out on top for sure, I mean its basically 1 for 1. The conditions on that 3rd rounder are hilarious that they shouldn't even really be considered plausible.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Not a fan of either player or team but I fully expect Neal to score 20 goals next season and for Lucic to do absolutely nothing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I mean that fine and dandy...all Im saying is that Neal wont be that wing player you guys desperately need beside McDavid.
I don't think anyone really expects that. If they do I agree that they are delusional. All I think us Oiler fans are saying is that Neal could be a nice surprise and would fit in better than Lucic playing with Mcdavid. Im not sure that all that hard to understand.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I don't think anyone really expects that. If they do I agree that they are delusional. All I think us Oiler fans are saying is that Neal could be a nice surprise and would fit in better than Lucic playing with Mcdavid. Im not sure that all that hard to understand.

Sure thats fair.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
all these posts are full of people saying "Lucic's feet are done, he can't skate, his knees are done"... as an Oilers "fan" (i probably hate/scrutinize them more than anyone), the number one issue with Lucic's game has not been physical, like an inability to keep up with the play... it's been between his ears... his processing and decision making. this is a very huge obstacle for an older player to overcome.

i'm honestly bewildered how the oilers got out from under that contract.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sure thats fair.
and to be fair, I was excited for Lucic when he signed with the Oilers, but he did not come as advertised. The census was that it was bad contract but that we hoped to get all least 3 good seasons out of him before it sunk it and he played poorly, we only got 1. That being said, this trade could be a wake up for him. It'd certainly like to see both players prosper.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
all these posts are full of people saying "Lucic's feet are done, he can't skate, his knees are done"... as an Oilers "fan" (i probably hate/scrutinize them more than anyone), the number one issue with Lucic's game has not been physical, like an inability to keep up with the play... it's been between his ears... his processing and decision making. this is a very huge obstacle for an older player to overcome.

i'm honestly bewildered how the oilers got out from under that contract.
Flames were in a more desperate situation.

Neal and Peters could not start the season on the same team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they think James Neal is gonna score 25+ goals playing with McDavid next season. I'll definitely eat crow if that happens.

They've been convincing themselves that any wing player playing besides McDavid will be elite ever Since Maroon's cat out of the hat trick

Man, I'll tell you no oiler fan cares what neal does. Getting rid of Lucic is enough

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I still cant believe we found a team dumb enough to take Lucic hahahaha

neal could very well be just as bad and cost more for the same length.

there is so much what if's in this deal.

if I were a betting man I would bet that Neal is better than Lucic. But again, this isn't a fleecing at all. This is a trash for trash trade where Edmonton pays more but has a chance at a more productive player.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
So if Neal puts up 25 this year, he deserves no credit because McDavid. Even though he is done like some people are saying he should be able to pot 25 in the National Hockey League.

HF logic, got it.
Ok, follow this logic...until Maroon played with McDavid he averaged under 10 goals per year, it jumped to 27 in the 1 year where he played a lot on McDavids wing and was trending towards a second season of 20 playing a bit less on McDavid's wing before he was traded then dropped to 10 last season with the Blues.
Chaisson a PTO player, scored 22 goals last season and scored the bulk of them on McDavid's wing. He averaged approx 10 goals per year prior to that.

So yes if Neal only bounces back to 20-25 goals which around his career norm his bounceback will be mostly attributed to playing with McDavid.

McDavid is the best playmaker in the league and has a history of increasing his wingers goal scoring totals.

Reactions: mouz135 and MikeFLB

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
I doubt Neal sees much time with McDavid unless it's on the PP. He'll likely slot in on RNH's line. I'd be happy with 15 goals out of him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Context matters. Neal played 16 less games than Lucic, and Lucic spent almost half of his icetime with McDavid and Draisaitl, or RNH. On the other hand, Neal spent far less time in Calgary's top 6.

Lucic is likely to get less opportunity in Calgary, and Neal is likely to get much more in Edmonton. It's highly likely that Neal outscores Lucic next season by a decent amount.

Neal also averaged almost 2 minutes a game MORE than lucic, and on a team that scored 60 additional goals to boot. Neal would constantly get shifts after a Pk with Gaudreau and Monahan, yet that trio never scored once while on the ice. 1.22p/60 when averaging over 2 minutes a night on the pp is a joke.

I don’t doubt how terrible a move Calgary made, but Neal was a tirefire last year no matter how you spin it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Ok, follow this logic...until Maroon played with McDavid he averaged under 10 goals per year, it jumped to 27 in the 1 year where he played a lot on McDavids wing and was trending towards a second season of 20 playing a bit less on McDavid's wing before he was traded then dropped to 10 last season with the Blues.
Chaisson a PTO player, scored 22 goals last season and scored the bulk of them on McDavid's wing. He averaged approx 10 goals per year prior to that.

So yes if Neal only bounces back to 20-25 goals which around his career norm his bounceback will be mostly attributed to playing with McDavid.

McDavid is the best playmaker in the league and has a history of increasing his wingers goal scoring totals.
Ah got it. So he will have to pot 30-35 goals this year for you to be impressed?

A player that is "done" in the NHL doesn't score 20-25 goals, it doesn't matter who you play with if you put up those results.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Is it a bad thing if all Neals points are attributed to McDavid? I mean that's still a positive over Lucic, who couldn't play with Mcdavid at all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This might be one of the worst trades the Flames have made in franchise history

Yet there’s Flames fans here defending it to no end.

Feels so weird to be an oilers fan and not be upset at how badly our GM lost a trade for once.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think they could both carry their own lines if our wingers weren't junk .

Maybe some of the guys we picked up end up being half decent but till proven otherwise we still only have 3 good top 6 forwards .

Like last year what were his most common wingers at center lucic and rieder or something ?
I'm not saying Drai couldn't be a great 2c. I'm arguing with a guy who thinks he would literally put up just as many points on the second line as when he played as McDavid's winger.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
All these excuses. No mention of RNH that had a 70 point season centering the second line. Why split up 2x 100+point players to force Nuge into a position he's doesn't naturally play?
I don't care where Drai plays. I'm arguing with a guy who said that Drai would put up just as many points as the 2c as he did when he played as a winger with Mcdavid.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Is it a bad thing if all Neals points are attributed to McDavid? I mean that's still a positive over Lucic, who couldn't play with Mcdavid at all.

It also says how much better the Oilers top players are than the Flames top players. Not that it would ever be a question as Drai and McDavid are easily the best duo in the league.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
My only worry is that Neal is bad in the locker room and can cause rifts, I have no proof of that other than rumors and what guys on sportsnet/TSN shows have said. Same goes for Mike Smith.

Well we have proof of Lucic being a terrible teammate and not wanting to stand up for others as an Oiler. Could Neal really be any worse?

Reactions: KidLine93

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
They thought Ty Rattie was going to do the same when he was tearing it up in the pre-season...:laugh:

Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they think James Neal is gonna score 25+ goals playing with McDavid next season. I'll definitely eat crow if that happens.

They've been convincing themselves that any wing player playing besides McDavid will be elite ever Since Maroon's cat out of the hat trick

Reactions: OVO16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->