Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is it a bad thing if all Neals points are attributed to McDavid? I mean that's still a positive over Lucic, who couldn't play with Mcdavid at all.
and it seemed coaching always tried to force Lucic up the lineup, to get his game going probably, and maybe even with the GM sticking his nose in to insist on it. Although honestly, at one point I thought McLellan was playing Lucic in the top six just to send a message to Chiarelli. "this is what you give me, this is what you get"

If Neal doesn't have a scoring touch, I don't think he will be forced up there, and won't be in the bottom six either. Without a NMC, and with no GM attachment, he can be buried for 1 million of cap space.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Well we have proof of Lucic being a terrible teammate and not wanting to stand up for others as an Oiler. Could Neal really be any worse?
yeah he could be a guy who stands up to people, mainly his own teammates lol. just kidding

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ah got it. So he will have to pot 30-35 goals this year for you to be impressed?

A player that is "done" in the NHL doesn't score 20-25 goals, it doesn't matter who you play with if you put up those results.
No he will have to pot 30 plus playing on McDavid's wing to convince me his skills are not regressing and last season was an outlier due to usage and not fitting in with the system played.

If he scored 20-25 goals while playing on RNH wing I would be convinced of that as well.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
My only worry is that Neal is bad in the locker room and can cause rifts, I have no proof of that other than rumors and what guys on sportsnet/TSN shows have said. Same goes for Mike Smith.
I've said it before, but every team he goes to straps an "A" on his chest.

You would think if he's such an issue that teams probably wouldn't do that.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No he will have to pot 30 plus playing on McDavid's wing to convince me his skills are not regressing and last season was an outlier due to usage and not fitting in with the system played.

If he scored 20-25 goals while playing on RNH wing I would be convinced of that as well.
Hahahaha that's so HF of you.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I've said it before, but every team he goes to straps an "A" on his chest.

You would think if he's such an issue that teams probably wouldn't do that.
that's a fair point, guess it depends if its team driven or coach driven. Ference had the C in Edmonton and he wasn't respected by half the locker room. There was a clear rift

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
that's a fair point, guess it depends if its team driven or coach driven. Ference had the C in Edmonton and he wasn't respected by half the locker room. There was a clear rift
Considering Peters hated Neal, I highly doubt it was coach driven

Reactions: KidLine93

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If Neal scores 21 or more goals, and Lucic scores 10 less goals than him, Edmonton gives a 3rd rounder to Calgary, otherwise it is a 1 for 1 swap. Both of those have to happen in order for the 3rd rounder to be involved.

Oh interesting. Ty.

Reactions: Oddbob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Haha so he has to finish in the top 10-20 of all goal scorers in the league to convince you he still has skill? :laugh:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
They thought Ty Rattie was going to do the same when he was tearing it up in the pre-season...:laugh:

Neal doesn’t even have to be a world beater, look at what Maroon did alongside Mcdavid. He just needs to be adequate enough to pick the puck off the wall on the breakout, Place it gently there for Mcdavid to fly by and grab it, while Mcdavid dances around the team he just needs to find an open spot somewhere in the slot.

Lucic couldn’t play with Mcdavid cause he handles the puck like a grenade. I can’t count how many times a game the puck would come to him and right off his stick back to the other team.

I don’t think Neal is going to be some 30 goal scorer again, but at the very least at least EDM can buy out that contract in a year or 2 if needed, Lucic is buyout proof.

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
This is ridiculous. Are people seriously trying to say that this is a bad deal for the Oilers. Just a few days ago the same people were ranting about how bad Lucic is, and how he's the worst contract in the league.

- Neal is much better
- Neal is a much better fit on the Oilers
- Neal is a much better buyout
- Neal does not have a NMC
- Neal's had 1 bad year, not 2
- He's friends with McDavid, and played well with him in the all-star game 2 years ago.
- Neal played well under Tippet before.

Anyone saying that its a loss for the Oilers is kidding themselves.
I guess you non valid points makes Edmonton win this trade

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

What a silly thing to say. Give your a head a shake.

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
Oilers fans are kidding themselves if they think James Neal is gonna score 25+ goals playing with McDavid next season. I'll definitely eat crow if that happens.

They've been convincing themselves that any wing player playing besides McDavid will be elite ever Since Maroon's cat out of the hat trick
Took the words right outta my mouth

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Care to elaborate how they got " fleeced "?
They took on a buyout proof contract with a NMC. Gave away a player that can be bought out relatively cheap and doesn't have a NMC. Not to mention the player they gave away can still bounce back whereas the player they received is barely a 4th liner anymore.

Even if Neal gets waived and go's to the AHL, it's still a fleecing for Edmonton.

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
I don't think anyone really expects that. If they do I agree that they are delusional. All I think us Oiler fans are saying is that Neal could be a nice surprise and would fit in better than Lucic playing with Mcdavid. Im not sure that all that hard to understand.
Wait till Neal's switch is turned on and you notice his batteries are dead. That will be your nice surprise

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They took on a buyout proof contract with a NMC. Gave away a player that can be bought out relatively cheap and doesn't have a NMC. Not to mention the player they gave away can still bounce back whereas the player they received is barely a 4th liner anymore.

Even if Neal gets waived and go's to the AHL, it's still a fleecing for Edmonton.

The player they gave away is barely a 4th liner himself. I know you have talked yourself into Neal being great but that is pure fantasy.

Also the relatively cheap buyout is a bit of stretch. When the buyout talk about the guy you just acquired is one of the positives of the deal it was not a great deal.

There was no fleecing involved in the trade at all.

Reactions: mouz135 and mvp1977
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad