Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dominik Simon signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Frolik was an excellent defensive player with a never-ending motor. You don’t see many players (atleast on the Flames) give as consistent an effort as Frolik did in his time here. Is Simon really that kind of player?

No. I just mean in terms of where he will slot. Simon is not a puck hound, but he'll weave in and out of the o-zone with the puck on his stick and be in the right position to frustrate you with his lack of a shot.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Simon is a late bloomer. He is a solid middle 6 forward. He needs to play with a finisher to get the most out of him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Best of luck to him in Calgary. Surprised he got signed for Kahun. Wrong Dominik Calgary.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was getting more Curtis Lazar than Frolik vibes. I'd be curious to know how he compares as well.

Lazar seems like a guy with a motor but with very, very limited offensive ability/vision at the NHL level. Smon's not really that. He's a smart player who is generally good positionally, but lacks any sort of explosiveness in his skating and his offensive game is more about making smart plays because his shot is, well, horrific.

Reactions: Fig

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lazar seems like a guy with a motor but with very, very limited offensive ability/vision at the NHL level. Smon's not really that. He's a smart player who is generally good positionally, but lacks any sort of explosiveness in his skating and his offensive game is more about making smart plays because his shot is, well, horrific.
So what do you think of his shot?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Glad he found a team. Simon is certainly an NHLer, he has flaws but worse players make more than he will next year.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Simon had surgery for a torn labrum in late April and was given a 6-7 month timetable for a return so Simon should be healthy again in December 2020.

If Simon can regain his form prior to his injury it could be a decent pickup for Calgary’s bottom 6.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Never heard of this guy but I like his stats. An extra center is always nice too
He has zero hands .. he played with crosby and still couldn't score. He a fourth liner at best. Fringe NhL guy. Decent for depth. Pitt could have resigned him for that but they chose to walk away

Bond

May 10, 2012
He has zero hands .. he played with crosby and still couldn't score. He a fourth liner at best. Fringe NhL guy. Decent for depth. Pitt could have resigned him for that but they chose to walk away

I mean it is a one-year 700k contract, I don't think anyone is expecting much

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
His hands are actually phenomenal. Not sure if you know what that means in the proper context... he just cant finish

Reactions: Voodoozz

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Who Simon reminds me of is a younger version of Bill Guerin during the final full season of his career. Billy G just came off a Cup win but everything fell apart for him offensively. He had problems tapping in tap-in goals gifted to him by Crosby. He still had something to offer but it didn't end up amounting to much in the end, other than frustration.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

What do you want for 700K?

Joe Thornton? Lol

Not everyone can keep up with Crosby

Too much energy for a minimum signing

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
His hands are actually phenomenal. Not sure if you know what that means in the proper context... he just cant finish

Based on the quote below, it doesn’t seem like he has very good hands. Receiving passes and finishing off plays are a big part of “hands”

Who Simon reminds me of is a younger version of Bill Guerin during the final full season of his career. Billy G just came off a Cup win but everything fell apart for him offensively. He had problems tapping in tap-in goals gifted to him by Crosby. He still had something to offer but it didn't end up amounting to much in the end, other than frustration.

Reactions: Ignatius

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Simon is like a poor/homeless man's Sedin. He has good puck control and is very good at passing in close areas.

However, he is one of the worst finishers I've ever seen at the NHL level. He gets chances since he's a smart player, but struggles to actually beat a goalie. One time he had a rebound come to him 3 feet from the goal line with the goalie on the opposite side of the crease. He shot the puck, and on the follow-through, the puck hit the back side of his blade, deflecting over the net.:laugh:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I though he priced himself out of Pittsburgh ... for 700k I would had gladly have him back especially how bad the 3rd line looks right now.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I though he priced himself out of Pittsburgh ... for 700k I would had gladly have him back especially how bad the 3rd line looks right now.

I'm sure JR offered to take him back at that price but Simon did the smart thing and headed off to pastures new. Though if he came back to Pittsburgh then I'm sure Sullivan would have put him back with Crosby at some point.

Reactions: Ignatius

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I neither knew that he was a UFA nor that he was worth so little. I thought he's an okay player?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What do you want for 700K?

Joe Thornton? Lol

Not everyone can keep up with Crosby

Too much energy for a minimum signing
Lol exactly why you think pitt let me walk?? Cause he wanted 3 mil ?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
In the intellectual hockey world , the expression " no hands " means an inability to finish plays effectively. Guess its back the hockey 101 for you...schools out ...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Simon is nothing like Billy G lol... he isn't overly big or physical. Protected puck ok and had good advanced stats with Sid but could never score. He was easily replaced by other fringe players. Essentially pitt traded Simon for jank from the flames ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad