Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dominik Simon signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Intriguing player, would not have minded Edmonton giving him a shot. Wonder what the money will be.

Edit: Wow 700K? Real good deal.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a good deal. Was just looking at the Flames roster the other day and thought to myself they could use some depth guys up front.

Also a guy who can be play some games in the top 6 if there's some injuries or shake up the lines.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Never heard of this guy but I like his stats. An extra center is always nice too

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Chris Simon is awesome. In his first season in Quebec he inexplicably wore #219. And they coach said eyy 219! start punchin'!

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To be fair, I could have replaced Jankowski.
I'd be being stretchered off after my first shift and the coaches would be like, "still like him better than Janko"
I get what you're saying. He perpetually disappointed given his skill set. He was still a warm body with NHL experience though and good on the PK. I'd definitely prefer a different warm body with NHL experience that can PK though.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The Flames/Pens essentially swapped Jankowski for Simon, here. I imagine they will both fill the same role the other left with their respective team.

Flames are going to play Simon with Gaudreau? Good luck

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Simon’s a skilled guy. Gets into trouble trying to force plays and seems to have bad luck finishing. Grittier than you’d expect and can play any forward position.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Really solid for $700k. His production with elite talent was...well there's a reason he was hardly the most popular player on the Penguins. He does a lot of the little things right and can play in a bunch of different roles, but his game is lacking enough that he was available for this contract a couple weeks into free agency.

In the right role Simon can be an effective role player. Getting him away from Sullivan was, sadly, a necessity as this was one of those situations where a coach liked a player entirely too much (in my opinion, of course). Without the coach over-using him I would have loved Simon back, but I just couldn't take seeing Simon & Crosby out there together again. If Calgary utilizes him as a plug & play-type who goes in the line-up where needed then they'll likely be quite happy with what they're getting. At the very least Simon is above replacement value and is making the league minimum, so that's a win for Calgary even if he's just a spare.

I want to like Dominik Simon more than I do, but sometimes players just get elevated to roles above their talents and that can make them get viewed as something that they're not. Simon at $700k in a limited role should be a really solid signing for Calgary, so long as he doesn't wind up being glued to Monahan or something.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad