Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dominik Simon signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
I neither knew that he was a UFA nor that he was worth so little. I thought he's an okay player?

Pens declined to tender him a qualifying offer so he turned ufa. He's easily worth 1-2mil but basically everyone is taking less than their "worth" this off-season.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
In the intellectual hockey world , the expression " no hands " means an inability to finish plays effectively. Guess its back the hockey 101 for you...schools out ...
lmao what :laugh: no it doesn't. Having no hands means you can't stickhandle or deke worth shit, which Simon can actually do quite effectively.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
lmao what :laugh: no it doesn't. Having no hands means you can't stickhandle or deke worth shit, which Simon can actually do quite effectively.
No he can't do thay either!!!! He couldn't take a pass and convert if his life depended on it...sid liked playing with him cause he go recover pucks. His rock hard hands kept him from converting.. you know by yiur logic ..if he could deke..he should have been able to deke the odd goalie and put a sweetheart pass in LOL or stick handle through a D man now and then lol..just silly ... he had no hands for the offensive side of the game ..forever stuck in a fringe role..

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
No he can't do thay either!!!! He couldn't take a pass and convert if his life depended on it...sid liked playing with him cause he go recover pucks. His rock hard hands kept him from converting.. you know by yiur logic ..if he could deke..he should have been able to deke the odd goalie and put a sweetheart pass in LOL or stick handle through a D man now and then lol..just silly ... he had no hands for the offensive side of the game ..forever stuck in a fringe role..
If that's your assessment of Simon I see no point in discussing him further

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Simon is.... fine. Whatever role you put him in, he's fine. His advanced stats (as well as the boosted the stats of his linemates) are great, but he's an offensively vanilla player. In a bottom 6 role, where he won't be expected to get on the score sheet most nights, you'll be very happy with him. For whatever reason, Sully always put him with Crosby, and when you play with Sid, you better be scoring. The Pens finally have 4 (or maybe 6 with McCann and hopefully Poulin) legitimate top 6 wingers, so that experiment is thankfully behind us. I would have welcomed Simon back for the bottom 6 though. My only problem with Simon on say the 3rd line, is that he doesn't really hit, or PK, or agitate, or do anything in particular other than stick out on an advanced stats chart. Take it for what it is.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
What’s wrong with him then? No motor? Lack of compete? Poor professional attitude?
He works hard, competes and has a great attitude. His issue is that he doesn't produce for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive player. "No finish" is a good way to describe him. He's a great puck handler and distributor, he wins board battles and is fine defensively. He just can't f***ing score :laugh:

Reactions: Luckylarry

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
He isn't a fast skater and while he goes to the dirty areas, I don't think he's a particularly special forechecker.

Sullivan played him with Crosby a lot because Crosby liked playing with him. Simon is an extremely heady player who reads the ice well and is almost always in a good position both offensively and defensively, but that's really about all he does. He's like the anti-"all tools and no toolbox" player.
I like Simon more than you, but I think “all toolbox no tools” is a pretty good description of him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He works hard, competes and has a great attitude. His issue is that he doesn't produce for a guy who is supposed to be an offensive player. "No finish" is a good way to describe him. He's a great puck handler and distributor, he wins board battles and is fine defensively. He just can't f***ing score :laugh:
Almost sounds like one of those guys who lights up the AHL, but struggles to score in the National League.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Almost sounds like one of those guys who lights up the AHL, but struggles to score in the National League.
He didn't really light up the AHL. I think it's just one of his flaws as a player, he has a hard time finishing. He's definitely an NHL player. I think it's just managing expectations. With the role/opportunity he was given in Pittsburgh, he should have produced more. If he's your 3LW and chips in 10 goals and 30 points you'll take that all day.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Good player and has the traits to be a very good PKer, not sure why Penguins allowed him to walk.
He didn't produce in the top 6 and JR clearly has a particular vision for what he wants the bottom 6 to be. Plus Sullivan loved him and he'd probably be stapled to Sid's line anyway, leaving Kapanen on line 3.

I prefer him over Rodrigues... but I get it.

Reactions: domaug

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He didn't produce in the top 6 and JR clearly has a particular vision for what he wants the bottom 6 to be. Plus Sullivan loved him and he'd probably be stapled to Sid's line anyway, leaving Kapanen on line 3.

I prefer him over Rodrigues... but I get it.
I always saw him as a very good 4th liner, not sure what JR saw to give up him for a contract worth 700k salary. As you said, he'd be great on the fourth line for a depth forward core like you lot have.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I always saw him as a very good 4th liner, not sure what JR saw to give up him for a contract worth 700k salary. As you said, he'd be great on the fourth line for a depth forward core like you lot have.
He does nothing as a 4th liner here. JR clearly wants the bottom 6 to play a fast and heavy forechecking kind of game and that's not really Simon's wheelhouse. His IQ and hands allowed him to keep up with Sid but he'd be lost playing with guys like Tanev, Sceviour, ZAR, Blueger, etc. He may have been able to fit with McCann but if he's playing the wing now that Jankowski is here, it's basically a moot point.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Simon-Bennett-Dube will be a very good 3rd line.

How about.. for once in Sam Bennett's career... we don't put him on a line with someone who can't finish. Michael Frolik, Troy Brouwer, Alex Chiasson, Curtis Lazar, 46yo Jaromir Jagr, Garnet Hathaway, James Neal, Tobias Reider, the guy's gotta have PTSD at this point. Even Lucic is hardly a finisher mind you.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How about.. for once in Sam Bennett's career... we don't put him on a line with someone who can't finish. Michael Frolik, Troy Brouwer, Alex Chiasson, Curtis Lazar, 46yo Jaromir Jagr, Garnet Hathaway, James Neal, Tobias Reider, the guy's gotta have PTSD at this point. Even Lucic is hardly a finisher mind you.

Crosby and guentzel scored fine with him

Bennett is legit, right?

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Seems like a decent bottom 6 fwd. Cheap too.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Simon-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Simon will be a better player for Calgary than Bennett will moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad