Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dominik Simon signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seems like a decent bottom 6 fwd. Cheap too.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Simon-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Eh. I think the biggest issue with Simon is he isn't a bottom six forward and that's why the Penguins let him go. He is a good replacement for Frolik for the Flames, but like Frolik I don't think he is as effective unless he is used with talent.

I think he'd be a really good fit with Lindholm.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
He got quite a few games with Crosby over the years. So with that in mind his stats aren't that good.

Also don't recall him playing C like ever but maybe im wrong.

The funny thing is that even if his stats are perceived as being good, by whatever metric, as a result of playing with Crosby it must be stressed that this guy is probably the worst finisher I have ever seen play regular time with Crosby. Simon had ample chances to rack up waaaay more points on a regular basis and for whatever reason was a master of botching golden opportunities.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He was played over his head and abilities on Crosby's line for most of his Pens tenure. He's also coming off of major shoulder surgery. Don't expect much offense and he may be a decent pickup as an energy guy. He can skate, but that's about it. Glad he's gone as Sullivan and/or Crosby couldn't help themselves from getting him in the top 6.

Reactions: Ignatius

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just to clarify, Simon has never shown to be a good player in a depth role. In Pittsburgh, he was a 30 point player who spent 56% of his ice time with Crosby or Malkin. Away from Crosby and Malkin, his stat line is indistinguishable from a replacement level player.

He's a smart player that really doesn't offer anything beyond being smart.

Reactions: domaug

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Think I’d still prefer Tobias Reider on the 4th line as I don’t know squat about Simon. But if this guy can skate hard and force turnovers on the forecheck, I might change my opinion. Wonder what kind of offensive upside he showed that made Mike Sullivan think he and Crosby would make good linemates.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Think I’d still prefer Tobias Reider on the 4th line as I don’t know squat about Simon. But if this guy can skate hard and force turnovers on the forecheck, I might change my opinion. Wonder what kind of offensive upside he showed that made Mike Sullivan think he and Crosby would make good linemates.

He isn't a fast skater and while he goes to the dirty areas, I don't think he's a particularly special forechecker.

Sullivan played him with Crosby a lot because Crosby liked playing with him. Simon is an extremely heady player who reads the ice well and is almost always in a good position both offensively and defensively, but that's really about all he does. He's like the anti-"all tools and no toolbox" player.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Just to clarify, Simon has never shown to be a good player in a depth role. In Pittsburgh, he was a 30 point player who spent 56% of his ice time with Crosby or Malkin. Away from Crosby and Malkin, his stat line is indistinguishable from a replacement level player.

His numbers this past year weren't great without one of those two but in 18/19 they were extremely impressive.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
His numbers this past year weren't great without one of those two but in 18/19 they were extremely impressive.

He formed a really solid third line with Bjugstad and Hornqvist for a brief stretch that ultimately got exposed in the playoffs hard because nobody could finish on the line.

He is a fine player at the hit. And Jankowski for Simon would have been a solid win / win for both teams tbh. With acquisition of Kapanen we really wouldn’t have a place for Simon until Kappy bursts into flames on the 1st line because he has no IQ and gets trade for a 7th.

Last edited:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Good for Dom, glad to see he wound up somewhere I think he will do well.

Ultimately his days as a grafting third wheel who bounces around the top six were numbered. Not with Kapanen, Rust, Guentzel and Zucker in the mix. If he was a better, more productive depth guy I would've taken him back here at 700k, but I think the Flames will like him, and nobody in Calgary will complain about his motor.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He isn't a fast skater and while he goes to the dirty areas, I don't think he's a particularly special forechecker.

Sullivan played him with Crosby a lot because Crosby liked playing with him. Simon is an extremely heady player who reads the ice well and is almost always in a good position both offensively and defensively, but that's really about all he does. He's like the anti-"all tools and no toolbox" player.
He is a very effective forechecker. The angles he takes and stick positioning are exceptional, although he isn't the biggest or fastest player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He is a very effective forechecker. The angles he takes and stick positioning are exceptional, although he isn't the biggest or fastest player.

I wouldn't say that makes him a "very effective forechecker", but what you're saying is completely fair. I think he's an extremely smart player that is held back by his lack of size, speed, talent and such. I don't think he's "very effective" in anything because despite being an extremely smart player, he doesn't have the talent to work with those smarts. Like I said, the anti-"all tools and no toolbox" player.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The Flames/Pens essentially swapped Jankowski for Simon, here. I imagine they will both fill the same role the other left with their respective team.

I don't think so. Jankowski is going to play Center for the Pens. Simon played RW for the Pens and played a lot on the Crosby line. His offensive stats are pretty bad considering he played on a line with Crosby and Guentzel most of his games last season. Simon is not much of a Center and didn't cut it when the Pens tried him as a 3C. Decent two way forward that won't score much but is good at possession.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I get what you're saying. He perpetually disappointed given his skill set. He was still a warm body with NHL experience though and good on the PK. I'd definitely prefer a different warm body with NHL experience that can PK though.

Simon does not play PK.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

This pretty much sums up Simon.

Reactions: domaug

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The funny thing is that even if his stats are perceived as being good, by whatever metric, as a result of playing with Crosby it must be stressed that this guy is probably the worst finisher I have ever seen play regular time with Crosby. Simon had ample chances to rack up waaaay more points on a regular basis and for whatever reason was a master of botching golden opportunities.

Yep.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin

You have just described a great linemate for Sam Bennett

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Eh. I think the biggest issue with Simon is he isn't a bottom six forward and that's why the Penguins let him go. He is a good replacement for Frolik for the Flames, but like Frolik I don't think he is as effective unless he is used with talent.

I think he'd be a really good fit with Lindholm.

Frolik was an excellent defensive player with a never-ending motor. You don’t see many players (atleast on the Flames) give as consistent an effort as Frolik did in his time here. Is Simon really that kind of player?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Frolik was an excellent defensive player with a never-ending motor. You don’t see many players (atleast on the Flames) give as consistent an effort as Frolik did in his time here. Is Simon really that kind of player?
He's not as good a defender or skater as Frolik, but he has better instincts and can string plays together better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Never heard of this guy but I like his stats. An extra center is always nice too

He's not a center at the NHL level.

Smart player, decent playmaker, but he's got a complete muffin of a shot. Literally drove me nuts how often he'd waste an opportunity that Sid/Jake created for him because of his lack of finishing ability.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I was getting more Curtis Lazar than Frolik vibes. I'd be curious to know how he compares as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad