Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dominik Simon signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K)

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I can’t really type out a response because I can’t understand this at all, but the terms “no hands” and “no finish” are different and not interchangeable. Pretty common knowledge that hands are needed for more than scoring
You wouod think it would be common knowledge however every once in a while a person like your self comes along who lacks any fundamental understanding of basic hockey concepts. Perhaps you didnt play hockey, perhaps you only became a fan last year...whatever the reason. Again the best players in the world , both now and in the past have had soft hands ... my example wa some of the all time.best and perhaps the pure talent ever and regarded as having pillow like " hands"... these hands didnt mean he was a defensive stalwart...or a pure sniper.....when one says a player has soft hands its generally means thames ahve a scoring touch especially around the net...your argument is completely irrelevant as your trying to say a player who had only 7 goals and was a minus 9 has silky hands all the while playing with sid Crosby. Of his 22 points , say aleast 15 of those are directly because sid has well " hands" ....

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
You wouod think it would be common knowledge however every once in a while a person like your self comes along who lacks any fundamental understanding of basic hockey concepts. Perhaps you didnt play hockey, perhaps you only became a fan last year...whatever the reason. Again the best players in the world , both now and in the past have had soft hands ... my example wa some of the all time.best and perhaps the pure talent ever and regarded as having pillow like " hands"... these hands didnt mean he was a defensive stalwart...or a pure sniper.....when one says a player has soft hands its generally means thames ahve a scoring touch especially around the net...your argument is completely irrelevant as your trying to say a player who had only 7 goals and was a minus 9 has silky hands all the while playing with sid Crosby. Of his 22 points , say aleast 15 of those are directly because sid has well " hands" ....
Yup...played for 18 years and now coach. No understanding of hockey whatsoever.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Keep digging, you might reach China

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
No he can't do thay either!!!! He couldn't take a pass and convert if his life depended on it...sid liked playing with him cause he go recover pucks. His rock hard hands kept him from converting.. you know by yiur logic ..if he could deke..he should have been able to deke the odd goalie and put a sweetheart pass in LOL or stick handle through a D man now and then lol..just silly ... he had no hands for the offensive side of the game ..forever stuck in a fringe role..

Whatever hate you have for this player and/or Calgary is kind of unsettling...

Anyways, while Simon definitely doesn't have the greatest shot and won't be counted on much to put the puck in the back of the net, he is one of the better passers in the game, ranking in the 93rd percentile last season and the 86th percentile over the last 3 seasons since he's been in the league when it comes to shot-assists.

He's also proven to be very effective at controlled entries and exits, while not being a liability defensively.

Very solid addition to the bottom 6. Especially at league minimum.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I'd prefer neither of the offseason signings are getting regular top nine minutes. The most sensible roster would be something like

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm
Monahan - Dube - Phillips
Lucic - Ryan - Zavgoridniy

Simon / Nordstrom if Lucic or such is underperforming.
What the hell are those? I'm not even gonna bother. My eyes are burning too much to type.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Seems like a decent bottom 6 fwd. Cheap too.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Simon-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

I don’t hate this. Would ideally separate Lindholm from Johnny and Mony, but I know that’s easier said then done.

If I were coaching, I’d maybe try this for a few weeks:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Gaudreau-Backlund-Monahan

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Nope. The dude has been a terrible bust. Did Calgary expect him to be bottom six? LOL. Waste of a pick right there if so.

While Bennett hasn’t lived up to draft position, he is an NHL player. He isn’t waste of a pick. How he has developed as a player could be because of himself or the organization, but he isn’t a straight-up bust.

Would it have been awesome to grab Ehlers or Larkin or Pastrnak? Heck yeah, but hindsight is 20/20 and Bennett was the consensus #4 pick when it was made.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Can't finish opportunities to save his life, but at 700k he's a great depth signing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nope. The dude has been a terrible bust. Did Calgary expect him to be bottom six? LOL. Waste of a pick right there if so.

He is a bust for #4 overall.

He is still a solid NHL player. Look at his playoff performance and stats, it's better than many

My comment was on the comparison between Simon and Bennett....not on Bennett as a top pick...lol

Last edited:

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
Simon sucks. Doubt he'll be in the league much longer. He was lucky Sullivan liked him for some reason and kept feeding him big time minutes. He never produced even with two of the best players in the world. The most frustrating player of this current iteration of the Pens sans Craig Adams.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Simon sucks. Doubt he'll be in the league much longer. He was lucky Sullivan liked him for some reason and kept feeding him big time minutes. He never produced even with two of the best players in the world. The most frustrating player of this current iteration of the Pens sans Craig Adams.
Of course a third liner won’t produce being forced to play on the 1st line, that’s not where a guy with his type of skill-set will produce. You can’t throw guys where they don’t belong and expect positive results.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That's terrible...bad signing, could have used the big money for a star....:sarcasm:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

The dude has not been a "terrible bust". Calgary's just been clueless as to how to utilize him.

There's a reason he has more 5v5 career playoff points than Monahan, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk combined. He's a player build for big games, but the team would rather give those minutes to Sean Monahan because he finds some open ice in meaningless November games against shitty teams.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Of course a third liner won’t produce being forced to play on the 1st line, that’s not where a guy with his type of skill-set will produce. You can’t throw guys where they don’t belong and expect positive results.

Except Crosby/Malkin have made a career playing with and pumping up 3rd line talent

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Still better than playing Rinaldo regularly.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I am actually surprised by how many hot takes are in this thread. Simon is a great complimentary player for the right line. Sure he doesn't have the finish to be considered top 6, but he did all the little things that Sid liked, so that is why he played with Sid. His possession numbers are likely amongst the best in the league, so yeah it sucks that he doesn't score, but he at least helps the team by keeping the puck. Likely the main reason the Pens didn't resign him is that they are hoping that Kappy can have similar possession numbers, but with much better finish. Simon would be great on the third line for most NHL teams.

Bennett can be frustrating because he does a lot of things right, but his regular season numbers don't seem to be there. However, if you are a team that is likely to make the playoffs without Bennett producing, then why do you care? He is a beast in the playoffs and if your 3rd line can put up solid numbers, than you have a solid base for a team to go deep. Bennett has not been the reason the Flames haven't had playoff success. That blame goes to the top 2 lines and the lack of consistent goaltending. This offseason, they hopefully solved the goaltending issue. The problem is that Gaudreau and Monahan don't seem to be playoff players and Tkachuk makes himself such a target that he will likely always be battling injuries come playoff time. Not to mention that the refs will likely ignore a lot of the cheap stuff against Tkachuk.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed. He had a go and couldn't score no matter . Pitt let him walk for a reason. Very amusing to hear flame fans think this guy gonna get 15 goaos and 40 points lol... he couldnt do it skating on the wing with the best all round player in the world

15g is probably a big stretch. But if things click with his linemates and his linemates can put the puck in the net, I could see him getting 10g and 40pts. Simon does pretty much everything you like 2nd/3rd line tweeners to do... except score. But he's a very smart player who does all the little things right.

Pittsburgh let him walk for the same reason Calgary let Jankowski walk (and Buffalo Kahun, etc). Because they didn't want to risk the player getting an arbitration award that screwed up their cap. Then I think PIT saw who else all hit the market and decided to try something different. But honestly, I'd love to have Simon back at 700k as a L3/4 player who has some skill and can hang onto the puck and make plays with it.

Reactions: RSPens

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm happy we're signing a bunch of cheap depth. I think it's going to be important for whatever form next season takes. I can imagine losing a couple players for 2 weeks off positive tests happening a few times, so having an extra few forwards/defenders who can play bottom 6 is going to be potentially very smart, in case third line has to bump up to second, etc

Reactions: Riptide

Ledge And Dairy

I'm happy we're signing a bunch of cheap depth. I think it's going to be important for whatever form next season takes. I can imagine losing a couple players for 2 weeks off positive tests happening a few times, so having an extra few forwards/defenders who can play bottom 6 is going to be potentially very smart, in case third line has to bump up to second, etc
Also with a condensed schedule injuries are more relevant so it's important to have guys who can fill in for those extra games missed

Reactions: Riptide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad