PTO: [CGY] Andrew MacDonald PTO with the Flames (released)

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
MacDonald might do alright with the Flames and earn himself a contract. He was overpaid in Philly and didn't live up to his contract but he's still capable of a minor NHL role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We need bodies.
Generally Calgary plays at least a couple split squad games, the warm bodies will do. Worst case Andy gets a 2-way deal to lead up some AHL talent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
wasn't comparing their salaries, pointing out this pto probably doesn't happen without buying stone out, thus the comment
Speak like someone who doesn't understand the flames cap situation

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We need bodies.
Generally Calgary plays at least a couple split squad games, the warm bodies will do. Worst case Andy gets a 2-way deal to lead up some AHL talent.

Given his age and games played I don't think he can be offered a 2 way. 1 way league min could make sense. Once Valimaki is back MacD can then be waived

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Given his age and games played I don't think he can be offered a 2 way. 1 way league min could make sense. Once Valimaki is back MacD can then be waived

you are correct, sorry, a contract we can bury.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Take what Flyers fans say about their whipping boy with a grain of salt. It's worth trying for MacD I believe. 6/7 D if things go well.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
will they sign him just to buy him back out? should've just kept stone in retrospect
Except Stone is super expensive compared to what he would do for us so it would not be smart to hold onto him at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As a #7 D, there are far worse options. He’s a vet and battle tested. My biggest thing for him would be his skating and keeping up with the pace of play. This is only a PTO so anyone complaining about this is simply just being overly dramatic. If he’s not good enough, he won’t get a contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just a few things hat will irritate you Flames fans.

He gives away the blue line on entry every time and often backs right in to the goalie.

On the PK, he ignores the player he is covering and tries to play 2nd goalie....often deflecting the puck into the net himself.

The slide...oh the slide. Every 2-1 against him, he will go down on his belly taking himself aout of the play.

Just watch for these things in pre-season. It will be a sign of things to come thru the season if you do sign him.

Reactions: Amorgus

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
As much as I disliked him on the Flyers, he's probably not the worst option for a 6/7 if you're only paying him 1-1.5M.

He was apparently very well liked within the lockeroom in Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad