OT: CF Montréal (Artists Formerly Known as Impact): Çnow Flake Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Thats the first logicial and great decision they have made in years.

Now I hope they keep in mind that 1. Nancy is a rookie coach and 2. the starting squad SUCKS so I hope they do not let him go after 1 season. Even if we finish the season with 30 defeats he should stay because back to reason number 2.

Nearly every Eastern teams have 3 DPs to the point Matuidi and Pato are below DP levels and we have one DP who is defensive minded.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Ev6qYGFWQAArjAo

Nice depth up front but too weak overall up front. Compare this to Toronto or Orlando or New England, Miami who are no MLS powerhouses.

Orlando
Nani-Pato-Mueller
Pereyra

Toronto
Borre(soon)-Altidore
Pozuelo

New England
Buksa
Bunbury-Bou-Gil

Montreal
Lassi-Johnsen-Quioto

Obviously I could be wrong in those but close to what they play with. But huge gap nonetheless

All this to say leave Saputo and Gilmore should leave Nancy alone for minimum 3 years.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Don't be one of those people that is so anti-CFMTL that you can't get over the name change.

I understand you would have rather kept them as Impact. But it's no longer the name.
As a die-hard fan and fanatic by the heart and the soul this is more than about a "name". I'm an anti-"SOCCER BUSINESS".

This isn't their BRAND. It's our CLUB.

I'm not a simple consumer. Those influencers have soiled our HISTORY.

Impact forever. Supporters like me won't let it down. That's our DNA.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
As a die-hard fan and fanatic by the heart and the soul this is more than about a "name". I'm an anti-"SOCCER BUSINESS".

You can have this opinion for sure. I won’t share it. I personally feel it’s short-sighted to believe the history of this club is soiled, tainted.

We’ll be able to ignore the stupidity of this rebrand as soon as they start winning again and building the club up the right way.

This isn’t the Habs... this club NEEDS to do well business-wise in order to be successful. The best way to do that is by winning and buying low and selling high.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
never will be if they are changing their name every few years like some kind of 3rd world country. You know what the Habs never did? Mess constantly with names and uniforms.
This is what @Ghetto Sangria is saying though, they arent the Habs and they don't have the luxury of being a well established brand. Taking the risk of a rebrand, while wrong in my personal opinion, does make some business sense from their perspective. The execution of it is what has been mostly wrong.

Reactions: Ghetto Sangria

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Like I said, you have the right not to like the rebrand, but you're being hard headed about it.

It's similar to your work. If the company decides to make changes on how they operate, you refuse to adapt and move on. You choose to remain close minded and frustrated that the company is trying to update how it does things.

never will be if they are changing their name every few years like some kind of 3rd world country. You know what the Habs never did? Mess constantly with names and uniforms.

This is the first time they change their name.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is what @Ghetto Sangria is saying though, they arent the Habs and they don't have the luxury of being a well established brand. Taking the risk of a rebrand, while wrong in my personal opinion, does make some business sense from their perspective. The execution of it is what has been mostly wrong.

They are not the Habs, but they had a very well-established brand.

Did that brand had the positive reputation they wanted? Probably not. But this new brand is starting with like 2 and a half strike against it. They put EXTRA pressure on themselves to be successful on the pitch THIS year. If they have a great season, people will forget. If they suck, cynicism will be at a all-time high. They really painted themselves in a corner.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
They are not the Habs, but they had a very well-established brand.

Did that brand had the positive reputation they wanted? Probably not. But this new brand is starting with like 2 and a half strike against it. They put EXTRA pressure on themselves to be successful on the pitch THIS year. If they have a great season, people will forget. If they suck, cynicism will be at a all-time high. They really painted themselves in a corner.

It's starting with 2 and half strike against it for you and people who think that the rebrand is a travesty. Gilmour and Saputo can do no good in your eyes and it shows. The rebrand, while pretty bland, is far from being a disaster. The name is fine and so is the crest. Actually, the crest is better than what they had last year.

People are wayyyyy too caught up in the Foot vs Football. CF Montreal, while not what I would have chosen, is fine.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's starting with 2 and half strike against it for you and people who think that the rebrand is a travesty. Gilmour and Saputo can do no good in your eyes and it shows. The rebrand, while pretty bland, is far from being a disaster. The name is fine and so is the crest. Actually, the crest is better than what they had last year.

People are wayyyyy too caught up in the Foot vs Football. CF Montreal, while not what I would have chosen, is fine.

Yeah man, we will have to agree to disagree.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Thats the first logicial and great decision they have made in years.

Now I hope they keep in mind that 1. Nancy is a rookie coach and 2. the starting squad SUCKS so I hope they do not let him go after 1 season. Even if we finish the season with 30 defeats he should stay because back to reason number 2.

Nearly every Eastern teams have 3 DPs to the point Matuidi and Pato are below DP levels and we have one DP who is defensive minded.

The Impact is really a wildcard this year. Tons of unknown newcomers. It could turn out great or awful. There is a lack of true starpower, which could be added in the Summer window. At least there's a plan and there is depth at almost every position. Just no Zelarayan, Vela or Carles Gil.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

you know what the Montreal Impact never did? Win anything important.

Im sorry but the Impact brand means fk all in this city if you really think about. It’s still a niche club in this city, although getting more and more popular. This rebrand wont do anything negative for it’s general popularity (but won’t be as beneficial as it could have been). Winning and and building is still the best way to gain popularity and most importantly MONEY.

there’s no denying their major blunder in this rebrand. I dont like it. But that won’t deter me from following the club. I still want Montreal’s MLS club to have the most success possible.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
you know what the Montreal Impact never did? Win anything important.

Im sorry but the Impact brand means fk all in this city if you really think about. It’s still a niche club in this city, although getting more and more popular. This rebrand wont do anything negative for it’s general popularity (but won’t be as beneficial as it could have been). Winning and and building is still the best way to gain popularity and most importantly MONEY.

there’s no denying their major blunder in this rebrand. I dont like it. But that won’t deter me from following the club. I still want Montreal’s MLS club to have the most success possible.
Not saying the rebrand will or won’t help with the “nicheness” of the club but I really hope it does.

It really sucks to talk to people who love soccer about the team and they don’t know a single player on it. It never really became something cool and popular in the sports market.

Ive taken friends and family to playoff games, Can Champ games, the f***ing CCL final and they just tune right out after the final whistle.

Hopefully CFMTL becomes more visible in the city and easier to follow to help people hook into the team.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Not saying the rebrand will or won’t help with the “nicheness” of the club but I really hope it does.

It really sucks to talk to people who love soccer about the team and they don’t know a single player on it. It never really became something cool and popular in the sports market.

Ive taken friends and family to playoff games, Can Champ games, the f***ing CCL final and they just tune right out after the final whistle.

Hopefully CFMTL becomes more visible in the city and easier to follow to help people hook into the team.

It won't help. It won't do big damages either. It was just... utterly useless. Well, and it did some damage to the hardcore fanbase. These people, and I am guilty of that, are more focused on how pissed they are than they are on the sport side. Winning can cure that pretty easily.... as it would have cured the "nicheness" as well.

Remember both runs in the CCL? Stadium was full, mainstream coverage was there. Remember our last meaningful playoff run? Same. Drogba? Full stadium. Nesta and DiVaio? Full stadium.

Montreal will embrace a winner, no matter the name. What pisses me off is that they arrogantly changed everything because "we are too local" or some stupid shit. Then, the branding campaign was shit and they, once again, arrogantly addressed the complaints. The club, whatever its name is, has an history of being confrontational with the fanbase and that's not a good thing.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I’m just realizing you have to be part of the collectif to see a press conference?

we have to pay for interview access?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
The Impact is really a wildcard this year. Tons of unknown newcomers. It could turn out great or awful. There is a lack of true starpower, which could be added in the Summer window. At least there's a plan and there is depth at almost every position. Just no Zelarayan, Vela or Carles Gil.

Ain't no such thing as Wildcard or miracles in MLS. You reap what you sow. The fact there is no superstar in terms of talent in the final third will make the team fall to pieces.Someone or two could surprise every now and then but to think this team could turn out great is straight up being naively optimistic.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
It’s really stupid to put that up behind a paywall. Thankfully the only conferences worth listening to are usually coach and sporting director, which are covered pretty extensively by the media, so we’re not missing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad