Center Options

con310*

yeah, a "defensive system" where your goalies are .936 and .941...

funny how much worse they look this year without that level of goaltending with the same coach and mostly the same personnel.

Exactly, The reason their goalies save percenatge were so high was because they were playing in a defensive system...Now with guys like Spezza and Karlsson back that has gone out the window, they were only playing that way because of injuries to begin with.

The reason they look bad this year isn't because of their goalies, sure anderson has been bad but their entire team defense is lost, Karlsson is racking up points but is playing terrible in his own end same with Spezza.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
stasny would be the hardest and easiest at the same time. easiest because he's a fa at the end of the season, but hardest because he's helping the team win at 2c. we could only get him if they are out of the playoffs, they aren't going to meddle too much with key pieces.

i haven't seen too much of reilly, but i wonder if we could pry him loose? i'm assuming he's 3c or lower if he's not playing on the wing right now, since they have stasny, duchene and mackinnon.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
stasny would be the hardest and easiest at the same time. easiest because he's a fa at the end of the season, but hardest because he's helping the team win at 2c. we could only get him if they are out of the playoffs, they aren't going to meddle too much with key pieces.

i haven't seen too much of reilly, but i wonder if we could pry him loose? i'm assuming he's 3c or lower if he's not playing on the wing right now, since they have stasny, duchene and mackinnon.

ROR is logging the most minutes of all their forwards and from his faceoff totals it looks like he is a winger at the moment. He actually doesn't look like he is worth his contract right now and it may be the best time for a club to come knocking before he get rolling.

However I am not sure if he is a top 6 guy or not. He was never a goal scorer at any level, he doesn't hit, average on faceoffs, and he may be $ driven rather than win driven. There are some real plusses too, but does he play big enough if he never gets 60 points? He is no bargain at $5.0 and he doesn't strike me as a guy that would take a pay cut.

Stastny is playing some great hockey right now. No cap space though unless Lupul+ are going the other way.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Crazy I know, but hear me out.

We have a decent Dman sitting (he is).

We have a skill savvy Dman, who isn't unfamiliar being inside the offensive zone and has played up front before switching to D.

Lines until a Center comes back:

Lupul-JvR-Kessel
Gardiner-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-McClement-Raymond
McLaren-Smithson-Orr

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Rielly-Franson
Liles-Ranger

You think. "Why mess with Gardiner and move him to the wing, where we aren't lacking?!"

Personally I'd rather see Kulemin and Raymond play together as a 3rd line shutdown, gaining chemistry until Bolland slots back in. And instead of overwhelming a guy like Leivo, let the leash go on our offensive Dman....Him and Kadri could work some magic for the time being, let Clarkson play his game, like he is used to; go to the net and make room for his skilled linemates. I'd have fun watching that lineup.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
For everyone knocking this move, you do realize JVR was a natural center for his ENTIRE career, and it was the Flyers who moved him to the wing...

Clearly there was a reason for it! To be a centre you have to be smart defensively as well as having vision out there. JVR is so/so in his own end, but he's got horrible vision out there and he isn't going to cut it long term as a centre. JVR is much better on the wing, using his size along the wall and his speed charging down the wing and firing off his strong wrister and/or planting himself in front of the net.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Clearly there was a reason for it! To be a centre you have to be smart defensively as well as having vision out there. JVR is so/so in his own end, but he's got horrible vision out there and he isn't going to cut it long term as a centre. JVR is much better on the wing, using his size along the wall and his speed charging down the wing and firing off his strong wrister and/or planting himself in front of the net.

They did move him to wing and discard him for lead foot so...

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
JVR has immensely improved on the defensive side. In fact, even in Philadelphia, he was pretty decent on his own end. Seeing that he had to go up against Richards, Carter, and Giroux, it makes sense why he was converted to the wing ( ala Briere).

Moreover, centres aren't necessarily that great defensively. Stamkos is pretty underwhelming on his own end nor is Tavares that exceptional. Most offensive centres usually don't play a great two-way game like Crosby.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Crazy I know, but hear me out.

We have a decent Dman sitting (he is).

We have a skill savvy Dman, who isn't unfamiliar being inside the offensive zone and has played up front before switching to D.

Lines until a Center comes back:

Lupul-JvR-Kessel
Gardiner-Kadri-Clarkson
Kulemin-McClement-Raymond
McLaren-Smithson-Orr

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Rielly-Franson
Liles-Ranger

You think. "Why mess with Gardiner and move him to the wing, where we aren't lacking?!"

Personally I'd rather see Kulemin and Raymond play together as a 3rd line shutdown, gaining chemistry until Bolland slots back in. And instead of overwhelming a guy like Leivo, let the leash go on our offensive Dman....Him and Kadri could work some magic for the time being, let Clarkson play his game, like he is used to; go to the net and make room for his skilled linemates. I'd have fun watching that lineup.

lol... i actually like this idea. we could use fraser instead of liles too if we wanted

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
JVR has immensely improved on the defensive side. In fact, even in Philadelphia, he was pretty decent on his own end. Seeing that he had to go up against Richards, Carter, and Giroux, it makes sense why he was converted to the wing ( ala Briere).

Moreover, centres aren't necessarily that great defensively. Stamkos is pretty underwhelming on his own end nor is Tavares that exceptional. Most offensive centres usually don't play a great two-way game like Crosby.

Crosby is no different playing defense as those 2. Your thinking of Toews;)

Having said that those types of players spend most of there shifts in the offensive zone which is the real issue these Leafs have not defensively that gets crucified for getting out shot every game.

Putting JVR at center with Lupul 2 guys who cycle well and have SIZE will hopefully help in sustaining a cycle game that's severely missing with the top 6 in how this team plays offensively.

Will never understand why Carlyle put Clarkson on the shut down line... The whole point in why they've signed Clarkson was to bring his forchecking, grit & cycle game into the top 6 and paid a premium in the process yet he's assigned on the checking unit?

Now with Kadri and Raymond will only improve zone time for skilled guys like Kadri

Call me crazy but I'm anticipating this team to play some of it's best hockey during these injuries and I'll tell you all why?

He can't line match like a mad man anymore over playing a checking line like it's playoff hockey. There will be more flow to the players in result of this and will spend more time playing in the offensive zone as appose to what we've seen rope & doping.

Unless of course he overplays the trio of McLement, Kulemin and Bodie than the Leafs will continue to rely on great goaltending and off the rush scoring to get wins.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Crosby is no different playing defense as those 2. Your thinking of Toews;)
Yes, Toews is well beyond Crosby defensively. However, in comparison, Stamkos and Tavares are terrible defensively, and, yes, I'm being nice.

Having said that those types of players spend most of there shifts in the offensive zone which is the real issue these Leafs have not defensively that gets crucified for getting out shot every game.

Putting JVR at center with Lupul 2 guys who cycle well and have SIZE will hopefully help in sustaining a cycle game that's severely missing with the top 6 in how this team plays offensively.

Will never understand why Carlyle put Clarkson on the shut down line... The whole point in why they've signed Clarkson was to bring his forchecking, grit & cycle game into the top 6 and paid a premium in the process yet he's assigned on the checking unit?

Now with Kadri and Raymond will only improve zone time for skilled guys like Kadri

Call me crazy but I'm anticipating this team to play some of it's best hockey during these injuries and I'll tell you all why?

He can't line match like a mad man anymore over playing a checking line like it's playoff hockey. There will be more flow to the players in result of this and will spend more time playing in the offensive zone as appose to what we've seen rope & doping.

Unless of course he overplays the trio of McLement, Kulemin and Bodie than the Leafs will continue to rely on great goaltending and off the rush scoring to get wins.
Agree with the rest. We are still not close to our potential. Carlyle has a lot more work to do IMO.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What happens if JVR exceeds expectations? I mean blows them out of the water and makes it impossible to put him back on the wing. Once fully healthy, who do you move to the wing?

We know that McClemant can play wing but if he does, does Bozak C the 4th?

I think that Bozak on the second line wing would be useless. Maybe the third?

Bolland should not get moved to the wing.

We all hate Kadri on the wing but what if it was with JVR and Kessel?

I know that I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Wouldn't it be nice to have this problem though?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
What happens if JVR exceeds expectations? I mean blows them out of the water and makes it impossible to put him back on the wing. Once fully healthy, who do you move to the wing?

We know that McClemant can play wing but if he does, does Bozak C the 4th?

I think that Bozak on the second line wing would be useless. Maybe the third?

Bolland should not get moved to the wing.

We all hate Kadri on the wing but what if it was with JVR and Kessel?

I know that I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Wouldn't it be nice to have this problem though?

The real question is: where does Crosby play in our lineup?

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I think JVR should be moved back to wing. We might as well have another AHL player for third/fourth line call up like McKegg. JVR just plays better on wing.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-McClement-Kulemin
Raymond-McKegg-Clarkson
Orr-Smithson-McLaren

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So, anyone know how long Bolland is out?

I consider him gone for the season. He might be effective for us if we go deep in the playoffs.

Let's pray for a miracle recovery and he gets back just after XMAS, and, is effective before the Olympic break. Can't see it, however, one can only hope!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Couturier, Little, Hodgson, Dubinsky seem like the most logical right now.

Highly doubt those guys are gonna part from their team. If we could somehow grab Hodgson I would lose it as I really love that kid.

However young guns like Ryan Johansen, and Boone Jenner(I doubt it), who haven't blossomed into full blown top six centers would be great additions.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Highly doubt those guys are gonna part from their team. If we could somehow grab Hodgson I would lose it as I really love that kid.

However young guns like Ryan Johansen, and Boone Jenner(I doubt it), who haven't blossomed into full blown top six centers would be great additions.

Where do they go when Bolland and Bozak are healthy? Who are we giving up for them?

Hodgson would be a beaut. If it's a blockbuster, this may be scary but Kadri? We are not going to sign Kadri for less than Hodgson in a year from now. But that depends on Bolland's health if he makes it back this season.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Hodgson would be a beaut. If it's a blockbuster, this may be scary but Kadri? We are not going to sign Kadri for less than Hodgson in a year from now. But that depends on Bolland's health if he makes it back this season.

Hell to the no, Kadri is better than him offensively, and Hodgson is incrediblly bad defensively..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad