Center Options

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If this is not a panic move, then I expect they are looking for a 2C who can have a healthy competition with Kadri for the 1C position. This person has to be good in faceoffs too. I expect a trade, if materalize, will probably involves our D, most likely either Franson or Lilies plus picks...just my own speculation

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
If we don't want to make a panic move by trading a good asset that's alright.

But at least I'd trade an expendable prospect and/or a mid to late pick for one or two depth centers.

I'd try to acquire two of these guys: Dustin Jeffrey, Stephane Da Costa, Cory Emmerton, Scott Gomez, Zach Hamill, Zenon Konopka, Ben Street, etc. Peter Holland or Brandon Pirri if the price is not too high.

I think just signing Smithson to a 2 way deal would be better than giving up assets for any of those guys

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
If this is not a panic move, then I expect they are looking for a 2C who can have a healthy competition with Kadri for the 1C position. This person has to be good in faceoffs too. I expect a trade, if materalize, will probably involves our D, most likely either Franson or Lilies plus picks...just my own speculation

this, imo sean couterier would be nice... would challenge kadri and is big and skilled.

con310*

Bolland is going to be out for months. Kind of hard to wait that kind of thing out. Unless you just don't want to make the playoffs then....yeah I suppose that works.

Now if it's just waiting it out for Bozak you can manage it somewhat easier. You pray that moving JVR to center works and you can manage until Bozak makes it back.

Still if it's possible to upgrade of course a smart GM is going to do that. It's not making a panic move, it's making a logical upgrade at a position you are severely lacking. Our depth is frankly at offensive dmen and wingers. The Marlies have already given all they have center wise in Trevor Smith.

What are you talking about? Ottawa made the playoffs last year when spezza and karlsson were out for most the year. Bolland is not going to make or break our playoff chances.

Clearly your fine with missing the playoffs and because one guy gets injured you expect the entire team to just pack it in...Good thing the players don't have the same attitude as you do.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I think just signing Smithson to a 2 way deal would be better than giving up assets for any of those guys

I think Toronto would rather sign him to a 1-way deal. It'd be for league min. most likely, and it's not like they can't afford that salary playing for the Marlies, it'd just be a deterrent to other teams picking him up off waivers when we sign him and then if we decide to send him back down.

Some names I have interest in are Patrice Cormier, Steve Ott and David Legwand. Also what about Paul Statsny? His contract is up, so he could be moved.

Legwand is somewhat interesting, if you're looking for a stop-gap, but he's had one of his best starts offensively in his career, and I doubt Nashville moves him now, or for cheap if they do. Ott would be nice, but I don't know that Darcy will trade him in-division, or again, it wouldn't be cheap. I'm perfectly happy sticking it out a couple weeks, rather than going for a stop-gap (if we're trading for someone, I'd rather they be a long-term piece). But if we are going for an older player, these are a few of the names I'd like to go after

Vermette - can fill on on any line, and play both C and LW for when we're back to full health. Helps the faceoff situation immensely
Peverly - don't know if Dallas would move him, but again, a versatile player who would be a nice add
Goc - nice piece we can slide up when needed and be a solid shut-down guy the rest of the time
Stoll - character guy, good defensively and on faceoffs, can chip in offensively from time to time; don't know if LA moves him though
J. Jokinen - seems like the Pens fans are willing to move him, wouldn't be a horrible depth piece

Most of them have another season on their contracts, they're all experienced 2-way guys and would definitely help us out. I just don't know what it'd take to get them into blue and white, and if it'd be worth it vs. getting a younger piece at the cost of Gardiner/Franson, etc.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
What are you talking about? Ottawa made the playoffs last year when spezza and karlsson were out for most the year. Bolland is not going to make or break our playoff chances.

Clearly your fine with missing the playoffs and because one guy gets injured you expect the entire team to just pack it in...Good thing the players don't have the same attitude as you do.

Ottawa made the playoffs because they got ludicrous goaltending.

Bolland doesn't compare to a spezza or karlsson, but on this team it's a pretty serious injury when you look at the quality of what's left at C. We needed an upgrade even with everyone healthy.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

What I like better about the guys I listed are that they have more offense than Smithson (beside Konopka). But yeah, signing Smithson for depth and faceoff abilities is something I'd like, I'd trade for one of the guy and listed and I'd sign Smithson also.

We need center depth.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Anyone think a Staal may be available?

Jared Staal? Probably ;)

It would be nice to see a move shore up the centre depth but I wouldn't be against giving some youngsters a chance in Abbott and McKegg rotating in and out of games, and calling up Smithson if a veteran presence is needed (like against Boston)

We'd be living and dying by the kids, but it's certainly an option at this point

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I rather have us not trade for a center considering we could get Bozak back in a couple of weeks or so. That being said, Nonis said that if he does make a trade, its probably going to be something for the long run instead of a stop gap.

con310*

Ottawa made the playoffs because they got ludicrous goaltending.

Bolland doesn't compare to a spezza or karlsson, but on this team it's a pretty serious injury when you look at the quality of what's left at C. We needed an upgrade even with everyone healthy.

Ottawa made the playoffs because the entire team bought into a defensive system.

No doubt losing Bolland hurts but he is not going to make or break the leafs playoffs like some are suggesting. If a trade comes up for a quality center at a fair price then no doubt they should make it but making a "panic move" is the last thing the Leafs should do right now.

phillycheesekessel

Jan 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I rather have us not trade for a center considering we could get Bozak back in a couple of weeks or so. That being said, Nonis said that if he does make a trade, its probably going to be something for the long run instead of a stop gap.

If were talking about the long run, i wonder what it would take to get B.Schenn from philly? He would be a great 2c behind Kadri, but if anything Id play him with kessel to continue the balanced lines. If we tried to acquire him though we would have to send a centreman back for cap reasons, preferably bozak, and he should be back soon.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ottawa made the playoffs because the entire team bought into a defensive system.

yeah, a "defensive system" where your goalies are .936 and .941...

funny how much worse they look this year without that level of goaltending with the same coach and mostly the same personnel.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
If were talking about the long run, i wonder what it would take to get B.Schenn from philly? He would be a great 2c behind Kadri, but if anything Id play him with kessel to continue the balanced lines. If we tried to acquire him though we would have to send a centreman back for cap reasons, preferably bozak, and he should be back soon.

Or we could give the Flyers Bolland for a couple of draft picks like we did Versteeg :laugh:

Joking aside, I like to see us get Couturier for maybe one of our defenseman plus one of our centers (not sure who though)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kadri, Couturier, and Bolland would be a solid way to build up the middle (if Bozak can be dumped) ... Resign Bolland for a modest raise for 3-4 years

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What do you guys think of Michael Backlund? Probably won't cost as much as a big name centre.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
What do you guys think of Michael Backlund? Probably won't cost as much as a big name centre.

1.5 for two more years and still an rfa, while being defensively responsible, decent at the draw and can chip some offence? Sign me up.

mikebel111*

if there was one player who I never hated, that was stajan. he wasn't the greatest centre, but atleast he was reliable, and would the best that he could given the roll. I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
if there was one player who I never hated, that was stajan. he wasn't the greatest centre, but atleast he was reliable, and would the best that he could given the roll. I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

I think Stajan could be resigned. But if not, obviously the Flames will look to trade him. He's done a great job now that Brent Sutter doesn't have him in the doghouse.

mikebel111*

I think Stajan could be resigned. But if not, obviously the Flames will look to trade him. He's done a great job now that Brent Sutter doesn't have him in the doghouse.

I agree. I remember hearing about the phaneuf trade. I was like Awsome! Most people liked ian white, and were mostly upset that he was gone. But I was probably more sad that stajan was gone.
he grew up a leafs fan and wanted to win here, but that never worked out. It seems he has a coach that believes in him and that is probably the most important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad