Celtics/NBA Celtics/NBA 2018-2019 II - Playoffs - Toronto/Golden State Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
most interesting finals in a while, Toronto winning 4 straight against the Bucs shows how wasted an opportunity this was for the celtics. Toronto takes advantage of Lebron being out of the east right away

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins stole Leafs Cup

Toronto should be getting ready to declare itself the greatest winter sport city in the world and Drake the King

And they would have got away with it if not for that meddling Brad Marchand game 6 in Toronto sticking his nose and shots/passes where they didn’t belong

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Kawhi has been all world incredible !!! I would like James Taylor to smash his guitar over Drake's head...lol

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
going to make bet on Toronto in 5, they ride the wave winning both at home, win one in GS, and finish up at home. Obviously not likely prediction as GS is favored but Toronto is on a roll

Reactions: pgm16

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Raptors are going to get dummied and it'll be a beautiful thing. The closest Toronto will get to a championship for a long time. :laugh:

If they resign Leonard they could contend in the east for a while. No other east team seem to want to take the title. I had them 4th in the east this year starting the year with Boston Philly and Milwaukee ahead of them

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I do not foresee him staying

I think he’s a clipper. They’ve got a really good young core group of players. They got a coach players like playing for. And most importantly it is his home

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don't know what I hate more about the Raptors - that grinning goof Drake or the fact that their announcers ( and it doesn't matter if the game is on TSN or Sportsnet ) keep trying to shove down our throats how " all of Canada is pulling for the Raptors ". :thumbd:

EDIT: I'm not sure I have ever wanted to punch somebody more than I do this idiot:

giphy.gif
Is Drake like part owner or something ,Im not really a basketball fan ,however I find myself cheering against them.Im just not a Toronto fan ,don’t like the Blue Jays either.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
It’s a hockey town first and foremost.

Right now Toronto is like when you go to the local bar and your favorite IPA is tapped, so you need to go with option 2.

In that sense Boston isnt even close to a hockey town. The Bruins are like when your first 3 drink choices are gone and you have to settle for the 4th best drink. Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics overshadow the Bruins about the same as Leafs overshadow Raptors and Jays.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
God no ,I know a lot of Leaf fans and they don’t even follow the Raptors.

Ya the saltiness of strictly Hockey fans in Toronto is amazing. They were salty when the Jays went back to back ALCS and now are super salty that the Raptors are off to the Finals. Im a Leafs fan but feel sad for those old guard Leafs or bust guys. The Leafs havent done anything in 20 years and havent won a championship in 50 plus years, they will always be relevant but they arent the only pony in town and its hilarious to watch them freak out. Slim chance but if the Raptors do win it all the saltiness level of strictly Leaf fans will be amazing and I will laugh at them non stop for only supporting a losing and overall joke of a franchise.

Edit: I also think the Leaf only fans are embarrassed that both Raptors and Jays have done some pretty sweet comebacks. Jays down 2-0 in a best of 5 to win 3 straight and win the ALDS with a Bauitsta bat flip. Normally its the Leafs choking a 2-0 series lead.

Raptors down 2-0 in conference finals and winning 4 in a row. The Leafs would normally be the team up 2-0 in ECF and choking it away. Example that 4-1 collapse to you guys in Game 7 while the Jays and Raptors are doing the opposite.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
My dad passed away a few years ago but seemingly at random, in the last 15 years of his life he became a huge Raptors fan. Had never known him to watch basketball and then he'd never miss a game if he could help it.
The Expos leaving soured him on baseball a bit and although he watched hockey that was more of my mom's thing and I think he just watched it so he could talk about it to me and my brothers.
I would listen to him talk about The Raptors but unfortunately could never talk to him about b-ball as the incredibly obviously fixed Trailblazers vs. Lakers series 20+ years ago ruined the sport for me and I haven't really watched it since.

Too bad he couldn't stick around long enough to see them make The Finals but took a few quiet moments this morning and could almost hear him breaking down the game on the phone to me with about as giddy as his old man voice could sound.

Just a slightly personal note but also a reminder of how great sports can be to keep people connected.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In that sense Boston isnt even close to a hockey town. The Bruins are like when your first 3 drink choices are gone and you have to settle for the 4th best drink. Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics overshadow the Bruins about the same as Leafs overshadow Raptors and Jays.

That’s not true, but also isn’t really the point I was getting at. Toronto IS a hockey town with people soothing their hockey pain by cheering on the Raptors.

To the first point, Boston has always been a hockey town. It may not seem that way with the success of the Patriots recently, but it is. If all 4 teams are performing equally, I would say it goes:

Sox, B’s, Celtics, Pats

The Patriots success for the last two decades has skewed that, but when they come down to earth, I believe the list above is accurate.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That’s not true, but also isn’t really the point I was getting at. Toronto IS a hockey town with people soothing their hockey pain by cheering on the Raptors.

To the first point, Boston has always been a hockey town. It may not seem that way with the success of the Patriots recently, but it is. If all 4 teams are performing equally, I would say it goes:

Sox, B’s, Celtics, Pats

The Patriots success for the last two decades has skewed that, but when they come down to earth, I believe the list above is accurate.

Canadas biggest city is a hockey town is brave take. The Raptors get nation wide coverage on tsn you now. The whole country supports them

Reactions: jasonleaffan

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012

Sox, B’s, Celtics, Pats

Interesting. Your correct that Toronto is a hockey town, but I believe Toronto is the only hockey town. All other cities with 2 or more of the Big 4 the NHL is 2nd/3rd/4th and never 1st. Buffalo, best ratings per capita but people are kidding themselves if they think the Sabres are bigger than Bills. Chicago is Bulls, Bears, Cubs ect followed by BlackHawks. I actually cant think of a single market in the US that has hockey at #1. And you wouldnt say that the Blackhawks only had a following because Cubs, Bulls and Bears fans were soothing their pain of losing. Unless you are in which case not sure.

Edit: Actually Chicago was a bad example because historically the Blackhawks are a dumpster fire when their bad. So when they are good maybe the other sports fans jumped on because they thought why not. But I think you understand what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad