CCHL 2014-2015 season

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
It says this is a Div III commitment. I often hear you can't get athletic scholarships to Div III, is that true ?

That's correct. But he may qualify for some academic scholarships. BTW, tuition and housing for Hamilton College is currently listed at $62,000 US!!!!! Per year.

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
I forgot to convert to Canadian, so that makes it $77,500 per year...not so great a deal now ;)

While Hamilton is an excellent school, my son is currently at Queen's for around $15,000 per year. And if he played hockey there, they would probably kick in around 5-8 of that. Need to be rich or on a full ride to go to school in the USA.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
A U.S Prep School kid from Canada, I figure his family can afford the tuition regardless of if he qualified for academic scholarships or not haha.

417hockey

Oct 3, 2014
I'm sorry but what poor organization of these playoffs by the CCHL

First off we all agree that the new format is terrible
But what's even worse IMO is the scheduling

They rushed the prelims to be finished in 4 days
Yes ok nepean may not have had a chance vs CP, but if they hadn't played all those games in a short period of time you never know in PO hockey.
Maybe Gloucester would have had more gas in the tank as well

Then we have a 7 day break for cornwall and Ottawa...8 for pembroke....11 days for CP...

Why not spread out the earlier rounds and not cater to the "big 4"? In the end it may have still been the same teams, but maybe not

It's not all On Abrams - we know teams both agree to the schedules set. However this year is ridiculous

Be ashamed!

Bockwinkel

Jan 12, 2013
417 brings up some good points. However, you have to know the regular season schedule was set in May, BEFORE the league changed the playoff structure in August, and with the time lines for Fred Page Cup and RBC Cup already locked in, the Play-in round (or whatever you call it) had to be done in those 3-4 days before the Quarter-Finals were set to begin. The only knock on the league you might say is changing the playoff structure after the regular season schedule was done.

Each series, if I am not mistaken, has 14 days to be completed. Yes, I agree, the days between series are unfortunate, but I don't believe it was catering to the top 4 teams as you put it.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
It's not so bad...

Before we get to hard on the CCHL, perhaps we should just be thankful this is not the NOJHL.

Can you imagine being the Blind River Beavers JR A hockey club.

They lost all 52 games this season and still had to play the first round of the playoffs. They of course were swept and were outscored 41-1 in 4 games.

That is the definition of a tough go.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Thoughts from last night's Game 1:

- Piccolino hasn't developed as a goaltender since he first broke into the league with Cornwall. I called goaltending as the difference in this series between two even teams. Two, maybe even three, he'd want to have back out of the four he gave up last night. Very few of the Lumber Kings went over to him at the end of the game.

- OJS is just a really friggin good team. Big on D, quick up front, aggressive. Small speed advantage too.

This series is probably still going seven, but barring some injuries I do think OJS is the better team.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Thoughts from last night's Game 1:

- Piccolino hasn't developed as a goaltender since he first broke into the league with Cornwall. I called goaltending as the difference in this series between two even teams. Two, maybe even three, he'd want to have back out of the four he gave up last night. Very few of the Lumber Kings went over to him at the end of the game.

- OJS is just a really friggin good team. Big on D, quick up front, aggressive. Small speed advantage too.

This series is probably still going seven, but barring some injuries I do think OJS is the better team.

Piccolino must have read your review. 3-0 and 18 saves in the third alone , is mighty good goaltending.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Piccolino must have read your review. 3-0 and 18 saves in the third alone , is mighty good goaltending.

Fair enough. To me, it's just shocking that a guy can come in, win a championship in his rookie season at age 17/18, and then not develop at all.

Still think Savard-Belanger is the best goaltender in the league, bar none. Guess this series will prove whether I'm right or not! :laugh:

Good playoff hockey though. Glad to see two series played with serious pace.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Pembroke dig deep, win Game 3 on the road in OT.

Discussion Points:
- Piccolino superb again for Pembroke in net. Savard excellent until he left the game with...
- A concussion. Taken to hospital, according to OJS head coach Martin Dagenais. I'm assuming he's done for the series. Andriano decent in relief, but losing an elite goaltender hurts.
- OJS seemed fatigued, more banged up than Pembroke. Maybe it was just me, or the slew of penalties that tired them out?
- Wicked GWG from Chamberland.

Post-game, Dagenais was unhappy about the refereeing. Specifically, the play which saw Savard injured, and the fact that Pembroke had a PP after the fact:

"It's strange that we spent a third of the game shorthanded against probably the most penalized team in Canada. Our goalie gets run, taken to the hospital, and we get the only penalty on the play. Disgraceful."

McTavish was pleased with his team's performance, said he wanted a little more physicality, and lauded the play of Piccolino in net.

Tough for me to see OJS coming back from such a deflating loss now. Pembroke in six, most likely.

Above all, it was an entertaining game of hockey.

Last edited:

knowtherules

Dec 21, 2014
Pembroke dig deep, win Game 3 on the road in OT.

Discussion Points:
- Piccolino superb again for Pembroke in net. Savard excellent until he left the game with...
- A concussion. Taken to hospital, according to OJS head coach Martin Dagenais. I'm assuming he's done for the series. Andriano decent in relief, but losing an elite goaltender hurts.
- OJS seemed fatigued, more banged up than Pembroke. Maybe it was just me, or the slew of penalties that tired them out?
- Wicked GWG from Chamberland.

Post-game, Dagenais was unhappy about the refereeing. Specifically, the play which saw Savard injured, and the fact that Pembroke had a PP after the fact:

"Everyone wants a CP-Pembroke final. Tonight, it was disgraceful. If that's what people want, just have them play the final now - it's unfair to our team."

McTavish was pleased with his team's performance, said he wanted a little more physicality, and lauded the play of Piccolino in net.

Tough for me to see OJS coming back from such a deflating loss now. Pembroke in six, most likely.

Above all, it was an entertaining game of hockey.

I'll agree with your analysis except for one part. OJS isn't just tired. Pembroke is flat out beating the living crap out of OJS physically. OJS has a player limping, crawling or staggering to the bench on every other shift. We've heard all about how skilled the OJS blue liners are, but the PLK blue liners are knocking the piss out of the OJS forwards. #playoff hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad