CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Sillinger looked alright at wing, I don't feel awful about him being up to start, would like to see if he can carve out a role. Gudbranson over Blankenburg is a tough pill to swallow as I think Blankenburg can hang next to Werenski. Severson is the only RD I currently prefer over Blankenburg.
If they actually played the best players, then Gudbranson would be bought out.

They don’t though.

Oh. I’ve been rolling with a misplaced assumption this whole time then.

I’m sure he’ll be back up soon.
3 seasons or 60 GP FWIW

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Sillinger looked alright at wing, I don't feel awful about him being up to start, would like to see if he can carve out a role. Gudbranson over Blankenburg is a tough pill to swallow as I think Blankenburg can hang next to Werenski. Severson is the only RD I currently prefer over Blankenburg.
I had very limited preseason viewing, but in what I did watch, Sillinger seemed really off to me. Faster maybe, but lots of missed passes and turnovers. I really hope he’s just holding down that spot until Chinakov comes back, because he needs ample time in Cleveland to get his timing/mojo back.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If they actually played the best players, then Gudbranson would be bought out.

They don’t though.
If healthy he'll take a spot at least. He's firmly better than Peeke, Boqvist and Gudbranson when he plays. Probably the 4th best defenseman in the organization right now.

Reactions: Napoli

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Blankenburg sent down bc we had to pay Guddy 4 million a year to be big. What a joke.

Who is playing next to Werenski now? Peeke? God help us

Reactions: DarkandStormy

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I had very limited preseason viewing, but in what I did watch, Sillinger seemed really off to me. Faster maybe, but lots of missed passes and turnovers. I really hope he’s just holding down that spot until Chinakov comes back, because he needs ample time in Cleveland to get his timing/mojo back.
That's probably how it will go unless Sillinger takes a role for himself, which I'm not ruling out. I'm just glad they're willing to put him at wing, that might end up being his best position.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So glad we have that albatross Gudbranson contract. Thanks, Jarmo!
I'm confused how it's hurting the team right now? Or how it's going to hurt the team in the next 2-3 seasons? Because Blanks got sent down? Yea id like him in the lineup too, but he hasn't been a staple defenseman yet. He can't stay healthy. It's only a matter of days before someone gets hurt and he's called back up, a long with some of the others

We're also top 10 in cap space around the league. So, Guddys contract isn't hamstringing us in making deals or making moves...

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'm confused how it's hurting the team right now? Or how it's going to hurt the team in the next 2-3 seasons? Because Blanks got sent down? Yea id like him in the lineup too, but he hasn't been a staple defenseman yet. He can't stay healthy.

We're also top 10 in cap space around the league. So, Guddys contract isn't hamstringing us in making deals or making moves...
He's in the way. Until they grow the balls required to scratch him in favor of Boqvist and Peeke, and especially Blankenburg he will be in the way of icing the best lineup possible.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Blankenburg sent down bc we had to pay Guddy 4 million a year to be big. What a joke.

Who is playing next to Werenski now? Peeke? God help us

How would Blankenburg up change that concern at all?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Blanks the most egregious of course. Have to assume that's a waivers thing as has been said.

There's a bit of a mess with the Sillinger situation but it's not like he was clearly outplayed by anyone that got sent down. I had hoped Voronkov would, but that didn't happen. Personally, I might have kept Meyer over him, but that would have been for Sillinger's development as opposed to keeping the best players, only because Meyer doesn't really need any more development.

Players returning from injury could complicate matters but other stuff may happen in the interim.

Hard to argue really with how it went down, given some of the realities.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's in the way. Until they grow the balls required to scratch him in favor of Boqvist and Peeke, and especially Blankenburg he will be in the way of icing the best lineup possible.

They need vets, they can’t just ice a defensw with 4 rookies/young players in it and expect a smooth season.

The most important thing right now concerning defense is that they don’t need to rush any of Jiricek/Mateychuk/Svozil

Reactions: CBJx614

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'm confused how it's hurting the team right now? Or how it's going to hurt the team in the next 2-3 seasons? Because Blanks got sent down? Yea id like him in the lineup too, but he hasn't been a staple defenseman yet. He can't stay healthy. It's only a matter of days before someone gets hurt and he's called back up, a long with some of the others

Blanks is easily better than Peeke, Bean, Gudbranson and Boqvist (overall but mostly defensively). He's proven to be a good defenseman every time he's been healthy. His lack of staying healthy appears to be the real knock on him so far in his career.

Gudbranson is "hamstringing us" because we're inclined to play him due to his contract. More importantly he's taking up another roster spot when he's a net negative. We have to then put Blankenburg in the AHL in order to not lose Peeke, Bean or Boqvist to waivers. Jarmo really should dump Bean but he paid a 2nd round pick for him not too long ago so that'd be admitting a mistake.

How would Blankenburg up change that concern at all?
I'd much prefer him over the other options present. Ideally it'd be Jiricek and Blankenburg splitting the duties but we've tried the other experiments and they haven't worked.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I choose to tell myself that Blankenburg is spending time in the AHL because he needs the room to make mistakes while he learns how to not keep getting himself injured all the time while still being effective.

It's a complete fabrication that I made up on the spot but it keeps me from reflexively snapping at anyone and everyone else who might otherwise seem blameworthy.

Reactions: LJ7

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Jiricek and Mateychuk not on the roster.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They need vets, they can’t just ice a defensw with 4 rookies/young players in it and expect a smooth season.

The most important thing right now concerning defense is that they don’t need to rush any of Jiricek/Mateychuk/Svozil
Werenski/Severson/Provorov all vets. That’s half your 6. Bean/Peeke/Boquist are young but hardly green. Blanks himself fits in that category too. It’s not like Jiricek and Mateychuk made the team.

Reactions: Napoli and LJ7

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
IN MANY WAYS THE REAL SURPRISE IN ALL THIS IS THAT THERE ARE NO SURPRISES EXCEPT MAYBE SILLINGER STAYING. OTHERWISE ALL THE USUAL SUSPECTS ARE HERE.

I would have much preferred Sillinger in Cleveland playing big minutes at center than having him here as a bottom six wing. If the team sees him as a wing that’s unfortunate because he will never be a top 6 wing and a bottom six center is more valuable than a bottom six wing, especially since I don’t envision him as a wing if fielding a scoring third line.

Some here say Blanks is the 4th best DMan but that’s sot true. He’s behind Jiricek and Mateychuk - even now. It’s just that the Jackets want them to get more seasoning (which is fine). I do think he’s better than Gud, Peeke and Bean - and probably Boqvist - when healthy, but that is a huge weakness in his game.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Blankenburg going down isnt a major deal as its better than being in the pressbox. Get him playing some minutes and gain some traction after and up and down year last year. Same as Jiricek, im glad they are handling his development significantly better than Sillinger's.

I do agree Sillinger looked better on the wing so maybe thats a positive he can build on and play a more simple brand of hockey

IN MANY WAYS THE REAL SURPRISE IN ALL THIS IS THAT THERE ARE NO SURPRISES EXCEPT MAYBE SILLINGER STAYING. OTHERWISE ALL THE USUAL SUSPECTS ARE HERE.

I would have much preferred Sillinger in Cleveland playing big minutes at center than having him here as a bottom six wing. If the team sees him as a wing that’s unfortunate because he will never be a top 6 wing and a bottom six center is more valuable than a bottom six wing, especially since I don’t envision him as a wing if fielding a scoring third line.

Some here say Blanks is the 4th best DMan but that’s sot true. He’s behind Jiricek and Mateychuk - even now. It’s just that the Jackets want them to get more seasoning (which is fine). I do think he’s better than Gud, Peeke and Bean - and probably Boqvist - when healthy, but that is a huge weakness in his game.
We may build 3 lines based on that last preseason game and have a lot of interchangeable parts. I dont think the 3rd line is a death sentence to his offense. I mean if he earns it and can keep up with Gaudreau/Laine leaving Marchenko to boost another line it would be a win for all involved.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Exactly.
Blanks is easily better than Peeke, Bean, Gudbranson and Boqvist (overall but mostly defensively). He's proven to be a good defenseman every time he's been healthy. His lack of staying healthy appears to be the real knock on him so far in his career.
That's pretty important to be trusted to play a big role of a team.
Gudbranson is "hamstringing us" because we're inclined to play him due to his contract. More importantly he's taking up another roster spot when he's a net negative. We have to then put Blankenburg in the AHL in order to not lose Peeke, Bean or Boqvist to waivers. Jarmo really should dump Bean but he paid a 2nd round pick for him not too long ago so that'd be admitting a mistake.

I'd much prefer him over the other options present. Ideally it'd be Jiricek and Blankenburg splitting the duties but we've tried the other experiments and they haven't worked.
Most of us already wanted Jiricek to continue playing in the AHL to gain more experience, he looks good but he needs some more simmering before he's relied upon to play a major role of the team.

Also none of the players you listed are seen as locker room leaders. As much shit as he gets for his on ice play his contribution in the locker room can't be understated. Especially when comparing him to the handful of kids who would've been in his spot.

But Gudbranson, 31, has played more minutes and more shifts than any other player on the Blue Jackets roster, and he’s on pace to draw more playing time (21:03 per game) than at any point in his career.

“Everybody’s role changes in a season where you’ve had 13 guys on the injured reserve list,” Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. “The last two games, we had more (salary cap) in the stands than on the ice.

“Erik has played more than we expected or he expected. He’s become a leader for us. He’s done very well, everything that we expected and more.”

Jiricek and Mateychuk not on the roster.
Nobody seriously thought they would be on the team, they both need more time before they are expected to be full time contributors to the top 4 and they shouldn't be in the NHL until they are ready for that role.

Werenski/Severson/Provorov all vets. That’s half your 6. Bean/Peeke/Boquist are young but hardly green. Blanks himself fits in that category too. It’s not like Jiricek and Mateychuk made the team.
Severson and Provorov weren't on the team when they signed that deal, had they been he probably wouldn't have signed him. I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Also is everyone already forgetting where majority of these guys were hurt?

Bean is injury prone
Boqvist is injury prone
Werenski is injury prone
Blankenberg is injury prone

Reactions: squashmaple

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
So when Dunais is off the IR do you think he can squeeze 9 games in as this team is looking like an injury prone team? I have to assume he's sent to the Q when healthy again.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So when Dunais is off the IR do you think he can squeeze 9 games in as this team is looking like an injury prone team? I have to assume he's sent to the Q when healthy again.
He'll probably get put on a conditioning stint and then back the jr's

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
There are two separate problems that some people are conflating.

1) We don’t have anyone to play with Werenski.

2) Gudbranson

Gudbranson was not brought in to pair with Werenski. He was brought in because we needed someone to keep KJ and other young guys from getting Tom Wilsoned night after night. Whether he is on the team or not, we don’t have a partner for Werenski that allows Werenski to play to his strengths. If the best partner we have for Werenski is a 5’9” former college free agent that gets injured every 5 games, then that really says something about the front office.

Not finding a good partner for Werenski is a massive failure on the part of management. It is up there with not solving the goal tending problem

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If the team sees him as a wing that’s unfortunate because he will never be a top 6 wing and a bottom six center is more valuable than a bottom six wing, especially since I don’t envision him as a wing if fielding a scoring third line.
Sillinger will never be a top 6 wing? What makes you think that? I see that as an entirely possible outcome for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad