Post-Series Talk: The Florida Panthers (A1) defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning (WC1) 4 games to 1

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Vasilevsky at a 9.5 mil caphit with a sub .900 save % the last 2 playoffs is concerning if you’re a Tampa fan. I think Vasi was a product of the team in front of him that had McDonough, palat, Coleman, goodrow, Killorn and gourde. I know they have some new guys in Hagen and Paul, but not the same depth and defensive acumen as those before them.
Idk, man. FL used to get a lot of chances even with all of those guys. Vasi was always the difference. The bolts rode the Big Cat to Cups.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Vasilevsky at a 9.5 mil caphit with a sub .900 save % the last 2 playoffs is concerning if you’re a Tampa fan. I think Vasi was a product of the team in front of him that had McDonough, palat, Coleman, goodrow, Killorn and gourde. I know they have some new guys in Hagen and Paul, but not the same depth and defensive acumen as those before them.

I can't disagreely with this more strongly. Florida scored only 3 goals in 4 games in the 2022 playoff series, despite managing a lot of shots and plenty of decent scoring chances. I won't say that the Panthers got goalied -- Tampa was very good all over the ice -- but that was as good of a goaltending performance as I've ever seen.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
One offseason can change depth for the better or worse.

Florida last year Achilles heel was their depth. Collin White was a regular on the Finals team. Josh Mahura was a regular on the blueline.
Shrewd moves to acquire guys like Stenlund, ERod, OEL and even Kulikov really helped the bottom 6/3rd pairing improve from last year.
Even guys like Lorentz/Gadjo played well, and better than the 22-23 bottom 6 regulars.

Point is, I don't see Tampa being done just yet, if they can find those underappreciated guys in free agency that fits what Cooper wants out of his players. It will be a tight cap and some hard trades may be needed, but a team with Hedman, Point, Kuch, Hagel, Sergachev and Vasilevskiy is still a very good core.
Then you guys like Cirelli, Paul and others who are good pieces for the mid 6.

Hedman is the oldest of the above at 34 but I can see him still being a top defenseman for a few more years.

Yea its so weird Florida is top heavy like sick top players but they have the depth pieces go go with them

Tampa isn't done they are young 34 is still prime time for Defensemen.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Tampa outclassed by a better, hungrier Florida team. The result isn't that surprising. But I gotta say I was a bit surprised at how listless and flat Tampa looked, starting with their top players.

Kucherov constantly trying no-look back passes to nowhere like he was in a game against Chicago in January. Point seemed lost. Vasilevski didn't look great either, though it's hard to evaluate his performance given how often the players in front of him would just stand there and watch Florida do whatever they wanted. Aside from Stamkos (who may have been sparked by the possibility that it might be his last series in Tampa) that looked like a group that was satisified with the 2 Cups they got. Which doesn't really augur well for their future.
Florida are legit "Cup" contenders, but there's some truths within above statement. We've never seen Kucherov miss so many passes, that he'd usually make. Kuch has done this in playoffs and with players draped all over him. He didn't have a great series, it happens. Florida played well, but Lightning didn't help themselves with so many errors (Some forced > Some unforced) not taking advantage of opportunities when it mattered most. Especially concerning..... "Next goal wins" scenario's but Lightning failed to cash any of those in. Lightning won "Cups" by seizing those moments in game/series, not by letting them get away. Florida did this, Lightning did not, and that's series... These have been issues for this Lightning team all year: it's part of who they are and this is their identity.

Pressures in a playoff series -vs- regular season pressures
  • 1st >> Some of Lightning issues are from Florida's D causing issues & great goalie play. They deserve credit for taking care of business, no matter what Lightning did or didn't do. Now the other issues.......
  • Pressure to "Do something now & soon" is always amplified during any playoff series.
  • Could see players from those 3 SCF's rosters, that attempted 3-peat, succumbing to feeling pressures to make something happen or else.
  • Especially without Lightning having depth to help with any Lightning scoring drought from game to game. When no secondary scoring, this causes a scoring vacuum that can be exploited by playoff quality teams. Plus, lots of Lightning players that were "Flat-capped" were crucial "Locker room" ingredients to success.
  • This one of main reasons to why depth is so important when chasing "Cup".
  • Lightning's PP unit might of succumb to pressures of.... "Score or else" and this causes mistakes. mishaps, and one to nto get it done.
  • Florida's D + Great goalie play + Lightning PP feeling pressure to "Do something or else" + Goalie interference review booth on good drugs = Lightning not getting it done when it mattered most!
Hunger to continue -vs- Loss of step
  • What's left of Lightning's "Cup" rosters has great idea of "Legit Cup Contenders" look & play like. Like us fans, these players most likely notice this version of Lightning will play/fight, but is not the same as 1st "Cup" winners, not same that went back-to-back, and not same club that chased 3-peat history.
  • It's understandable the drive might not be there, Lightning players are human. It does seem last two playoffs -vs- Hunger needed to win. Has been lacking or missing completely at times.
  • Could be one of reasons to why Lightning have been taken behind 3rd period & OT woodshed during last 2 playoff series. They've been beaten silly!
  • Bottom 6 is lacking even when enough effort is there: To many puck battles lost, mistakes like turnovers, puck watching, NOT SINKING CHANCES, etc. Not enough experience, playoff jitters, or not enough skill can be issues here. At least 2 of 3 of those issues are fixable, hopefully it's not the later.
  • I'd be shocked if Lightning players bodies haven't diminished after so many deep playoff runs. Again, they're human and regular season miles -vs- playoff miles are completely different beast.
  • Use to see what other teams/players went through, but when it's your favorite team/players experiencing that and one follows this more closely. Gives one a different perspective.
  • Add in events like what Kucherov just went through after a bush-league neck shot. Hits like that have been been part of 6 ECF's, 4 SCF's, 2 "Cups", and attempting 3-peat equation.(Kuch's hip injury came from playoff cheap-shot).
  • Lightning had adjusted roster for that extra physically playoff hockey brings about, but don't have enough enforcers or depth to spare now. It is what it is, playoff hockey.
  • Years ago, Wife use to hate on Crosby slashing ways, and would swear him to-the-moon, but use to tell her.... "Crosby has to become that or get ate-up from other players bush-league tactics". For years, she continued to swear Crosby, but after witnessing Lightning stars dealing with that since 2015. She understand Crosby plight more so today and gets why Kucherov slashes back or is "The Hunter" now. NHL should take care of this kind of stuff but until they do. NHL players have to defend ones-self, depend on teammates, or get eaten alive.
  • One Lightning player stood out to me the most, when it came to fitting both "No hunger" or lacking needed "Desire" to win playoff games this year/playoffs. Love this player a bunch, and what he's done for Lightning, but some big contracts gotta go this off-season. Plus, one month of reaching ones previous potential last 2 yrs is not recipe for Lightning success.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Florida are legit "Cup" contenders, but there's some truths within above statement. We've never never seen Kucherov miss so many passes he'd make with no issues. Kuch has done this in playoffs and with players draped all over him. Didn't; have a great series, it happens. Florida played well, but Lightning didn't help themselves with so many errors (Some forced > Some unforced) not taking advantage of opportunities when it mattered most. Especially concerning..... "Next goal wins" scenario's but Lightning failed to cash any of those in. Lightning won "Cups" by seizing those moments in game/series, not by letting them get away. Florida did this, Lightning did not, and that's series... These have been issues for this Lightning team all year: it's part of who they are and this is their identity.

• 1st >> Some of Lightning issues are from Florida's D causing issues & great goalie play. They deserve credit for taking care of business, no matter what Lightning did or didn't do. Now the other issues.......
  • Pressure to "Do something now & soon" is always amplified during any playoff series.
  • Could see players from those 3 SCF's rosters, that attempted 3-peat, succumbing to feeling pressures to make something happen or else.
  • Especially without Lightning having depth to help with any Lightning scoring drought from game to game. When no secondary scoring, this causes a scoring vacuum that can be exploited by playoff quality teams. Plus, lots of Lightning players that were "Flat-capped" were crucial "Locker room" ingredients to success.
  • Lightning's PP unit might of succumb to pressures of.... "Score or else" and this causes mistakes. mishaps, and one to nto get it done.
  • Florida's D + Great goalie play + Lightning PP feeling pressure to "Do something or else" + Goalie interference review booth on good drugs = Lightning not getting it done when it mattered most!
  • What's left of Lightning's "Cup" rosters has great idea of "Legit Cup Contenders" look & play like. Like us fans, these players most likely notice this version of Lightning will play/fight, but is not the same as 1st "Cup" winners, not same that went back-to-back, and not same club that chased 3-peat history.
  • It's understandable the drive might not be there, Lightning players are human. It does seem last two playoffs -vs- Hunger needed to win. Has been lacking or missing completely at times.
  • Could be one of reasons to why Lightning have been taken behind 3rd period & OT woodshed during last 2 playoff series. They've been beaten silly!
  • Bottom 6 is lacking even when enough effort is there: To many puck battles lost, mistakes like turnovers, puck watching, NOT SINKING CHANCES, etc. Not enough experience, playoff jitters, or not enough skill can be issues here. At least 2 of 3 of those issues are fixable, hopefully it's not the later.
  • I'd be shocked if Lightning players bodies haven't diminished after so many deep playoff runs. Again, they're human and regular season miles -vs- playoff miles are completely different beast.
  • Use to see what other teams/players went through, but when it's your favorite team/players experiencing that and one follows this more closely. Gives one a different perspective.
  • Add in events like what Kucherov just went through after a bush-league neck shot. Hits like that have been been part of 6 ECF's, 4 SCF's, 2 "Cups", and attempting 3-peat equation.(Kuch's hip injury came from playoff cheap-shot).
  • Lightning had adjusted roster for that extra physically playoff hockey brings about, but don't have enough enforcers or depth to spare now. It is what it is, playoff hockey.
  • Years ago, Wife use to hate on Crosby slashing ways, and would swear him to-the-moon, but use to tell her.... "Crosby has to become that or get ate-up from other players bush-league tactics". For years, she continued to swear Crosby, but after witnessing Lightning stars dealing with that since 2015. She understand Crosby plight more so today and gets why Kucherov slashes back or is "The Hunter" now. NHL should take care of this kind of stuff but until they do. NHL players have to defend ones-self, depend on teammates, or get eaten alive.
  • One Lightning player stood out to me the most, when it came to fitting both "No hunger" or lacking needed "Desire" to win playoff games this year/playoffs. Love this player a bunch, and what he's done for Lightning, but some big contracts gotta go this off-season. Plus, one month of reaching ones previous potential last 2 yrs is not recipe for Lightning success.
The Lightning are not going away despite many other Atlantic teams fans wishes.

They will retool and be back next year, no doubt.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Going to be tough though. The cupboard is pretty bare and we’re low on draft capital. I believe in Julien Brisebois but it’s hard to see us becoming legitimate contenders again with this core.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
AV? I have had it since it happened. Nice try to burn me but it was an ice cold landing. I have been a lightning fan since they were invented and I go to meet the 2004 Stanley Cup team with because my hockey team won states.

Not salty, the deeper team won. We still are a better franchise. Good luck signing all your players in the offseason.
Fortunatly they also have the same tax advantage haha.

Agreed. Lighning had the most 40 goal scorers in the year. One of the top 5 goalies in the game.

Hedman and Sergachev in the back.

Anything is possible.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Can't stand the Lightning, but respect them. They gave the Panthers all they had, huge respect for Sergachev coming back, that was impressive. People carrying about Kucherov and the Lightning PP need to take Barkov, Reino, Forsling, Stenlund, etc. into account. Those guys all did an amazing job neutralizing the (most of the time) the areas of Tampa's game that makes them so dangerous and elite.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That first goal getting called back was mystifying to me. That seemed like a goal that should have counted, and that could have really changed the tide of game 5. In general, the games in this series were among the best in this first round. Florida just a bit better. Shame about that poor call by the refs on that 1 disallowed goal, but Florida looking very good in general.

Reactions: Borsig

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Neutral here. No love for either team. Refs seem to have screwed TB in that last game hard. The goal looked good and a lot of missed calls on FL who is like the dirtiest team in the league behind NYR. PIMS over the year are reflective of it as well as the eye test.

TB was never winning this, but the game was called poorly in FLA's favor last night. Oh well, On to what will probably be a hungry for revenge Boston.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
It was physical. Did you see the hit counts per game? Just no brutal devastating Rempe like hits.

I didn't pay much attention to this but when Maurice joked that "we may see a 200-hit game in the post-season" in an off-day presser because of changes to the way hits are counted, I thought "yeah, that makes sense".

Behind the NHL’s massive hits audit, and what it means for players, bettors and fantasy leagues

in my opinion, this series didn't get physical or even feel like a playoff series until the 2nd period of game 2 when the lightning woke up, despite what the hit numbers say. even after that, it was kinda playoff "lite".

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
That first goal getting called back was mystifying to me. That seemed like a goal that should have counted, and that could have really changed the tide of game 5. In general, the games in this series were among the best in this first round. Florida just a bit better. Shame about that poor call by the refs on that 1 disallowed goal, but Florida looking very good in general.

that was very clear interference to me - duke obviously slid his skate back to prevent bob's glove from getting over to the puck.

hard to argue about the 2nd one because Cirelli was in the blue on his own and made contact. It didn't look like he really impacted bob and I would be pissed too but I think they called it right on the ice and there was no way they were going to overturn that given the evidence.

that said, the refs missed some calls and made some very soft calls in the series. but that was not the difference.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Duke’s skate interfered with Bob trying to freeze the puck with his glove before Cirelli ever got near the puck. It was in the goal crease when it happened. No goal.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019

Was actually shocked Lightning stayed this playoff competitive after such a quickened back-to-back "Cup" roster turnover. GM had some gems trades, some just OK filling needs, and some terrible signings/trade misses. Considering bargain-bin-contract hunting options GM had, many teams not willing to trade bargains without steep price, Lightning having very top heavy contracts, and other factors. Lightning did alright and actually landed quality NHL players after back-to-back.

Lightning aren't total lost cause just yet. Some of Lightning contracts, that look bad now, will age well over next 1-4 yrs. Plus, Kucherov's game should age well since his game is IQ based. Kuch shouldn't succumb as much to time considering he doesn't rely being faster than others, being more athletic, or other physical attributes to evaluate game. Atlantic will be bear like always, but hopefully Lightning make right moves to keep competing.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
So am I, but I’m expecting about the same result in the season overall. Wild card spot and first round loss.

You definitely would've beaten the Leafs this year playing like this in the first round. The only reason they won last year was because Vasy was off his game.

Reactions: Summer Rose

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Florida are legit "Cup" contenders, but there's some truths within above statement. We've never seen Kucherov miss so many passes, that he'd usually make. Kuch has done this in playoffs and with players draped all over him. He didn't have a great series, it happens. Florida played well, but Lightning didn't help themselves with so many errors (Some forced > Some unforced) not taking advantage of opportunities when it mattered most. Especially concerning..... "Next goal wins" scenario's but Lightning failed to cash any of those in. Lightning won "Cups" by seizing those moments in game/series, not by letting them get away. Florida did this, Lightning did not, and that's series... These have been issues for this Lightning team all year: it's part of who they are and this is their identity.

agree with a lot of this. they miss their bottom six. and guys like palat et al.

never really thought about bolded point in terms of a long-term effect. may be a lesson here? better to intentionally reload after a couple of runs and give key guys some short seasons to recover?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad