CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So when Dunais is off the IR do you think he can squeeze 9 games in as this team is looking like an injury prone team? I have to assume he's sent to the Q when healthy again.
I bet he goes back as soon as he’s healthy.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I'd be inclined to think that Bean/Peeke/Boquist are here because we don't want to risk losing them for nothing at this point in the season. Let them play some games, showcase them a little, and wait for injuries or deficiencies on other teams to happen and then trade when the time is right.

It's not like they're thinking we're playoff bound, they know this is a rebuilding/learning curve year ... Vincent even said he didn't expect the first part of the season to go smoothly in one of his last interviews.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Vancouver's going to be banging on Jarmo's door two weeks into the season when they realize they don't have a single credible RD on their roster past Hronek, who's at best a second pair defender. Keeping them all and being patient is a good plan.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Agree Gudbransson sucks but what point is there to have a team loaded with young talent if you let them get hit to pieces by other teams goons?

Who is going to stand up for Fantili/Jiricek and KJ? Can't have Jenner braking his wrist when Olivier is out..

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I bet Dumais has a small injury that luckily let's him practice until he's eligible for a conditioning stint in AHL.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agree Gudbransson sucks but what point is there to have a team loaded with young talent if you let them get hit to pieces by other teams goons?

Who is going to stand up for Fantili/Jiricek and KJ? Can't have Jenner braking his wrist when Olivier is out..
I will say however....

I don't think we've seen him do that though... can anyone point to a time when Gudbranson has played the bruiser intimidator role since he's been here? If we're healthy this season I would hope he embraces that role since he's not having to play top 4 Dman

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Meyer or TFW was a lot better than Sillinger. What happened to earning ice time. This is more of the same. Sillinger is not a forechecking wing and playing him on 3rd line with Fantilli & KJ didn’t look good. He should have to earn it.

This is a travesty like sending Blanks down.

Then why have camp if you are not going to ice the best team?

Reactions: tunnelvision

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Sillinger will never be a top 6 wing? What makes you think that? I see that as an entirely possible outcome for him.
I just don’t see the asking and/or shooting skills that make him a top 6 wing on a playoff team. Maybe he will get there - just as maybe the team will get there - but that’s where I current peg him. He’s young so there’s time, but I see his longer term value being as a 3C vs 3W. Hope I’m wrong and he demonstrates a higher ceiling, maybe becoming a Jenner-type very versatile player.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I will say however....

I don't think we've seen him do that though... can anyone point to a time when Gudbranson has played the bruiser intimidator role since he's been here? If we're healthy this season I would hope he embraces that role since he's not having to play top 4 Dman
In before someone says he mere presence keeps other teams from taking liberties yadda yadda blah blah blah.

#elephantrepellentjoke

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Meyer or TFW was a lot better than Sillinger. What happened to earning ice time. This is more of the same. Sillinger is not a forechecking wing and playing him on 3rd line with Fantilli & KJ didn’t look good. He should have to earn it.

This is a travesty like sending Blanks down.

Then why have camp if you are not going to ice the best team?
Id have sent Sillinger down also but what did Meyer or TFW do to earn a spot? TFW did nothing and Meyer did what he typically does and has 1 game or time period in a game where he looks good and then never noticed again

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I will say however....

He hasnt had to because his precence keeps away the need for it ;). To an effect it is true though, Id also rather have him going after the Wilson's of the league than forcing Jenner to do things out of his comfort zone. If they find balance with significantly less minutes or games we would probably all feel better about it except the contract part.

Players around the league have talked about more of a feeling of comfort when those guys are on their side because its less likely they are targetted so while people want to mock posters for suggesting it some guys on the ice actually feel it

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Id have sent Sillinger down also but what did Meyer or TFW do to earn a spot? TFW did nothing and Meyer did what he typically does and has 1 game or time period in a game where he looks good and then never noticed again
Sillinger is going to play 3rd line wing and they need a forechecking wing and that isn’t Sillinger. He didn’t look good until they stuck him with Gudreau and Laine.

Meyer is a grinder and has played well throughout camp as did TFW. You can’t say the same for Sillinger. This isn’t a bag on him but other guys earned it more than him.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I will say however....

Chicago game near New Year's last season. Boris Katchouk was trying to start things and Gudbranson literally picked him up and shook him like a ragdoll. Katchouk did not try anything else.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sillinger is going to play 3rd line wing and they need a forechecking wing and that isn’t Sillinger. He didn’t look good until they stuck him with Gudreau and Laine.

Meyer is a grinder and has played well throughout camp as did TFW. You can’t say the same for Sillinger. This isn’t a bag on him but other guys earned it more than him.
and that 3rd line looked good with Marchenko. I feel like we have a lot of interchangeable guys and some potential to find better mixes for everyone. Being a grinder is fine but thats all Meyer is and we have guys who provide more while doing that role like Danforth.

TFW did nothing to be noticed. He should be out there hungry and energetic like Gerbe was but hes just a whole lot of meh. Had hopes for him but he never does anything with his chances.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
and that 3rd line looked good with Marchenko. I feel like we have a lot of interchangeable guys and some potential to find better mixes for everyone. Being a grinder is fine but thats all Meyer is and we have guys who provide more while doing that role like Danforth.

TFW did nothing to be noticed. He should be out there hungry and energetic like Gerbe was but hes just a whole lot of meh. Had hopes for him but he never does anything with his chances.
The biggest issue is sending downs Blanks over Boqvist, who had a terrible camp. They made decisions about who was waiver eligible and not the best players.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gudbranson is still a better defenseman than Peeke and Boqvist. If anything people should be upset those 2 guys are in over Blankenburg.

Having Olivier and Voronkov not on the roster absolutely adds to the value/impact Gudbranson has on the team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The biggest issue is sending downs Blanks over Boqvist, who had a terrible camp. They made decisions about who was waiver eligible and not the best players.
Long term thats much smarter than losing guys for nothing. We'll see how guys play and maybe that changes things but as teams start figuring out what they are or injuries happen around the league we'll be glad we have the assets to trade.

Blankenburg also missed significant time a year ago and playing a step down I dont think is the worst. May actually be good for him, we love him for going 100% all the time but his body doesnt appear to. Maybe he can develop an ability to pick his spots. He'll also get more oppurtunity down in Cleveland so its not like hes wasting away in limbo like Peeke had to in the covid year

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gudbranson is still a better defenseman than Peeke and Boqvist. If anything people should be upset those 2 guys are in over Blankenburg.

Having Olivier and Voronkov not on the roster absolutely adds to the value/impact Gudbranson has on the team.
Vincent openly talked about how olivier and Gudbranson made teams stop taking liberties on our team. He mentioned that Minnesota game a few years ago when a few of their players openly challenged our bench and nobody could step up.

Having Gudbranson is not a bad thing, contract be damned. Should he be an everyday guy? No. Especially if we have olivier or Voronkov in the lineup. But having guys like him is important for this young roster.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Vincent openly talked about how olivier and Gudbranson made teams stop taking liberties on our team. He mentioned that Minnesota game a few years ago when a few of their players openly challenged our bench and nobody could step up.

Having Gudbranson is not a bad thing, contract be damned. Should he be an everyday guy? No. Especially if we have olivier or Voronkov in the lineup. But having guys like him is important for this young roster.
...that said I suspect everyone here would nonetheless prefer a bit more skill to go along with the toughness and intimidation. :)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

And unlike the Rangers we didnt trade a guy like Buchnevich to get toughness/grit (which flopped anyway). So yeah the contract sucks but his role is a needed one. Hopefully we can get him back to his Calgary level of useage and play

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Would you have been ok if Boqvist was sent down and then claimed by some other team? Or do you not think Boqvist would be claimed?

Waivers absolutely need to be considered, Boqvist and Peeke have value (hopefully Bean too) and we're better off trading them than losing them on waivers.

This is also why I am disappointed they didn't send down Sillinger - he'll get his last games played and then we can't send him down no matter what, so he'll be stuck in limbo on the 3rd/4th line and not really becoming the best player he could become. We already have enough 3rd/4th line wingers...

Other than Silly, I'm ok/happy with the roster for now. Curious to see how Voronkov develops in Cleveland, I'm a little worried he's not surrounded by any Russians on the ice - but Marchenko is too valuable to be sent down so this was the only way I guess.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
...that said I suspect everyone here would nonetheless prefer a bit more skill to go along with the toughness and intimidation. :)
We’d all love to have a Bob Probert on the team, but a young team like this really needs a guy with the menacing presence of Gud to keep opponents honest. Just keep his minutes down and he earns his paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad